GDT: Pens at Canes

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
also let this serve as my weekly reiteration of how great it has been and will continue to be watching svechnikov develop

i’ve got a feeling in my bones that this kid is going to end up A1 bonafide elite all star
Things have definitely changed since having LaRose and Tlusky getting top 6 minutes.... We actually have 6 top 6 players right now, you could even say 7. This team has really developed into something special.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Things have definitely changed since having LaRose and Tlusky getting top 6 minutes.... We actually have 6 top 6 players right now, you could even say 7. This team has really developed into something special.

Well, yes and no. Wasn't too long ago this season that McGinn was playing on the first line

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I’m going to be so bummed if we can’t get a deal done for Ferland in the off-season

the guy has been an A+ fit in all aspects of this team and organization

it’s those wonderful intangibles be brings that we’d miss if we had to replace him with a Miller/Saad kind of guy

Personally, I think you're looking at next year's Top 6 - Niederreiter, Aho, Williams, Svechnikov, Staal, Teravainen is a pretty competitive group in my book. While I also would love to have Ferland back, just realize you're probably looking at a 65 game guy who will mostly play on our 3rd line. I want his physicality and his heart. I don't want anything beyond a 4 year term and certainly not for anything close to what his reported ask is. I'm counting on Don and Tom working some magic there.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Personally, I think you're looking at next year's Top 6 - Niederreiter, Aho, Williams, Svechnikov, Staal, Teravainen is a pretty competitive group in my book.
With Wallmark and Necas (who just scored his second power play goal in two nights on a much improved slap shot) on the third. Ferland would work well with them. But I don't think management will want to pay. Which is fine. Martinook would be a good veteran presence for Necas as he has been for Svechnikov.
Don't sleep on Wallmark. He will put up something like 15 goals and 30 assists next season. I could see him taking the 2C job. Wallmark and Teravainen could develop real chemistry setting up Svechnikov.

Reactions: SvechneJerk

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
With Wallmark and Necas (who just scored his second power play goal in two nights on a much improved slap shot) on the third. Ferland would work well with them. But I don't think management will want to pay. Which is fine. Martinook would be a good veteran presence for Necas as he has been for Svechnikov.
Don't sleep on Wallmark. He will put up something like 15 goals and 30 assists next season. I could see him taking the 2C job. Wallmark and Teravainen could develop real chemistry setting up Svechnikov.
Oh, I'm not sleeping on Lucas....just being realistic. Even with the meritocracy that Rod preaches, Wallmark is more suited to the 3C role on this team. He'll mostly play against lesser competition too which will help his scoring.

In the end, it also comes back to too many bottom 6 guys and not enough slots.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
In the end, it also comes back to too many bottom 6 guys and not enough slots.
Totally agree with this--the problem being that none of those players except for Wallmark and Mckegg, because they are true centers, has much trade value (see Rask, Victor).

Agree with whoever suggested this discussion be moved to roster building--I will post similar thoughts there.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
:confused:
Maybe semantics, but I think that characterization is a little pessimistic. Unless you are a stacked team like Toronto, how many 2nd lines have a 30G scorer and two 20G scorers? Yeah, maybe the Canes 1st line isn't in the top half of the league when compared to PIT, WSH, TOR, TBL, etc.... but I'd still call it more than a 2nd line.

I do agree a lot of our other lines/players are playing above their weight class though. As we've said (and agreed upon) in the past, ideally the Canes could use 2 more top 9 guys, with one of them being top 6.
Well.....I did call it a really good second line. :D

I love that Williams is holding on and he’s had a great year, I just think like you said to some extent they don’t hold up well as a top line when compared to some of the league.

We can do better in the future is the point. They’ve been great this half season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad