GDT: Pens at Canes

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
A GWG that he probably should've been able to put in. Was it because he was tired? Dunno. But if you watched the OT, it was absolutely ridiculous how he refused to come off the ice even before the PP. I get he's the best offensive player and trusted, but 4:18 is absurd. On top of that he's been pretty bad lately, so maybe lessen his load instead of increasing it, if he's tired in general?

I agree with your premise. I will say the OT wasnt overly back and forth, 2 minutes of that was PP time, and there were a few stoppages for draws to catch his breath . The energy usage wasnt as high as a normal 4 minutes of OT would be.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I agree with your premise. I will say the OT wasnt overly back and forth, 2 minutes of that was PP time, and there were a few stoppages for draws to catch his breath . The energy usage wasnt as high as a normal 4 minutes of OT would be.
The result last night was good (Win's a win) and probably doesn't warrant my whining. Aho's extended shift between the PPs did in the end get them another PP so...maybe it was worth it.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The result last night was good (Win's a win) and probably doesn't warrant my whining. Aho's extended shift between the PPs did in the end get them another PP so...maybe it was worth it.
I don’t think you are whining. Its a valid point. His effort on the SO attempt sure shows he was tired. Luckily we had a goalie who wasn’t having anything to do with SO goals.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Just wanted to say it (sorry if this is a repeat), but Nino Niederreiter had two of the most impressive defensive plays last night. Everybody probably remembers the "slide" that likely prevented a break-away. However, the diving stick check on a Pen I can't remember to prevent a grade A chance was also super impressive. That guy's got a lot of heart. He does so much more than just score.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Important to note that someone called a timeout in there as well. Still 4:10 is a lot. Williams and TT stayed the whole PP as well, while Faulk of all people had to good sense to get the hell off the ice.

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well he may have an estaal/Maurice relationship where it seemed he called his own shot in terms of being on the ice when it mattered but I think it’s more likely Rod is leaning on him and he’s not going to say no, especially right now.

While I don’t fall in line exactly with how passionate you are about it, I agree he wasn’t truly effective with all the extra ice time. You can make an argument that since he’s a smart and generally safe player it did no harm defensively to do it this way and it has more potential to turn into offense then say playing Wallmark more. You can make the argument also that while he’s very good he’s not quite that good to just stay on the ice all night.

I feel both of those have some merit. I think we think a little too much of Aho at times, and that he isn’t quite individually dangerous enough to be what we’re about to pay him, though I get Rod thinking the kid is our best chance and that he’s pushing the limits right now so he knows how hard he can push him in the playoffs.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Well he may have an estaal/Maurice relationship where it seemed he called his own shot in terms of being on the ice when it mattered but I think it’s more likely Rod is leaning on him and he’s not going to say no, especially right now.

While I don’t fall in line exactly with how passionate you are about it, I agree he wasn’t truly effective with all the extra ice time. You can make an argument that since he’s a smart and generally safe player it did no harm defensively to do it this way and it has more potential to turn into offense then say playing Wallmark more. You can make the argument also that while he’s very good he’s not quite that good to just stay on the ice all night.

I feel both of those have some merit. I think we think a little too much of Aho at times, and that he isn’t quite individually dangerous enough to be what we’re about to pay him, though I get Rod thinking the kid is our best chance and that he’s pushing the limits right now so he knows how hard he can push him in the playoffs.
Eh, the thing is that Aho makes his line dangerous, but no one's there to make Aho dangerous. I think he cries himself to sleep at night because i swear he doesn't get set up very often 5v5. Williams, while still effective in some ways, takes suuuuuper long when he's trying to make a passing play and it often results into him losing possession.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s been an effective line. It’s been what we have needed though I agree the whole shape of the offense is undermanned. I feel like we’re REALLY making the most our of three third lines and a really good second line. I’m not sure two of our third lines aren’t fourth lines...

Aho doesn’t get enough support. I agree. I don’t think the support he needs plays for this team though. Not currently. TT would help but it’s clear we need more talent overall to keep things balanced.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I think Svech will play with Aho next year and that will be the help he needs.

Right now the team is winning and I get the feeling Aho cares more about that that his individual stats. Hes already pretty much going to get a blank check.

On another note - what was the attendance last night? Looked pretty full for a Tuesday even considering it was the Pens

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I am 100% going to give Aho a pass for how long he was on the ice. I've noticed that he gets up for big games unlike any player we've had not named JW. He wants the puck during the game winning times and I love that about him and that's one of the major qualities that's going to lead him to being our next captain. Specifically he took the Buffalo games super personally and even when he isn't scoring or making things happen on offense, he's making good plays on defense or hustling to get breakaways. I love his mentality. I just hope his body can cooperate with the way he wants to play down the stretch.

Edit: Sara Civ addresses Aho's TOI in her article today. Go check it out when you can.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It’s been an effective line. It’s been what we have needed though I agree the whole shape of the offense is undermanned. I feel like we’re REALLY making the most our of three third lines and a really good second line. I’m not sure two of our third lines aren’t fourth lines...

Aho doesn’t get enough support. I agree. I don’t think the support he needs plays for this team though. Not currently. TT would help but it’s clear we need more talent overall to keep things balanced.

Maybe semantics, but I think that characterization is a little pessimistic. Unless you are a stacked team like Toronto, how many 2nd lines have a 30G scorer and two 20G scorers? Yeah, maybe the Canes 1st line isn't in the top half of the league when compared to PIT, WSH, TOR, TBL, etc.... but I'd still call it more than a 2nd line.

I do agree a lot of our other lines/players are playing above their weight class though. As we've said (and agreed upon) in the past, ideally the Canes could use 2 more top 9 guys, with one of them being top 6.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Aho was making scoring chances out of nothing last night. His ability to handle the puck and skate into the soft spot of the defense to set up a Grade A chance is the stuff that turns good players into great players. I really hope we can get into the playoffs so he can showcase that on the big stage.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I’m going to be so bummed if we can’t get a deal done for Ferland in the off-season

the guy has been an A+ fit in all aspects of this team and organization

it’s those wonderful intangibles be brings that we’d miss if we had to replace him with a Miller/Saad kind of guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad