Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Habs 3 - The Atleast We're Better Than Montreal Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
For the sport of it.... Derick Brassard is well known in C-Bus.... Just saying that for the new Pitt fans who may not know...

I loved the guy!! We should have kept him...

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I like Jake with Phil and Brassard, that's arguably a 1st line quality 3rd line. ZAR surprisingly has meshed well with Sid, goes to the dirty areas, takes his pound of flesh and causes havoc around the net. I think that suits Sids game quite well.

The only thing is ZAR is such a small sample size and Jake usually does well with Sid plus he led the playoffs in goals with Sid. If ZAR could play NHL on the RW that’d be awesome it would fix a lot.

Guentzel-Crosby-ZAR
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Brassard-Kessel (that’s a fast line!)
Sheary-Sheahan-Kuhnhackl/Jooris

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
BTW @ColePens, this team reminds me of the 2009-2010 team. I'm not saying it's the same, and maybe there is some magic switch. BUT, HGH is the 2009-2010 Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis/Guerin. Rest of the team is going through the motions on most nights. Like Geno in 2009-2010, there's no cohesion for a Sid line this year. And, like 2009-2010, the mix on defense is off, as is the team defensive play. Again, I'm not saying it ends the same way, but THAT is the vibe I'm getting watching them since the deadline.

Meh I HATE comparisons like that. Sully isn't as stubborn as Bylsma when it comes to x's and o's and creating a strategy against teams. I remember when (Ottawa?) or whatever team is was when Sully basically gave their PP the full left side breakout and it worked to perfection. He does create gameplans unlike DB. So it's not like he's going to face a Montreal team and just refuse to adjust.

But this is the NHL and there are a lot of good teams, IMO, that can make a run. I mean if you look at this year compared to last year in the East, it's remarkable. Columbus crawled into the playoffs and got injured. Now they are on a hot streak. Boston was injured and not that good. Rangers/Montreal IMO are not better than teams in the East this year.

I just think the East is stronger.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I think the team could settle into a nice groove with a more consistent schedule, with MM back as the number 1, with more games for Brassard and with more consistent play from our D.
I’ll hope to count on all things but that last. MM should be in form by the post, Brassard is clicking, but our weakest link same as last post will be our D and the combo of back checking forwards and MM are going to have to bail them out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Meh I HATE comparisons like that. Sully isn't as stubborn as Bylsma when it comes to x's and o's and creating a strategy against teams. I remember when (Ottawa?) or whatever team is was when Sully basically gave their PP the full left side breakout and it worked to perfection. He does create gameplans unlike DB. So it's not like he's going to face a Montreal team and just refuse to adjust.

But this is the NHL and there are a lot of good teams, IMO, that can make a run. I mean if you look at this year compared to last year in the East, it's remarkable. Columbus crawled into the playoffs and got injured. Now they are on a hot streak. Boston was injured and not that good. Rangers/Montreal IMO are not better than teams in the East this year.

I just think the East is stronger.

Finally admitted the rest of the league got better!

Gotcha!

But, seriously, our division has just become a blood bath. Islanders and Carolina are a good goaltender away from being the Devils or Flyers this year, Caps are still skilled in their top six, Columbus got Bread Man who is basically exactly what they needed. Rangers are in my estimate the only bad team. And that is self imposed.

Our TEAM D is downright scary. Curious to see how Sully approaches it if it continues into the playoffs. His ability to have systems inside of systems for his lines is crazy and I wonder if he just lets them go buck wild. Every team outside of Boston is loosely goosey when it comes to their D in the East and we have what seven 20 goal scorers?

Also, it will be telling how the coaching staff and management ACTUALLY feel about Letang and Dumo in the playoffs. He had no problem icing Dumo and Hainsey who were the obvious top pair as a third pairing a couple games last year in the playoffs.

Reactions: ColePens and KIRK

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are marginally better than some non playoff teams at home. Not the look of a contender. Bad D is bad D. Ask the Steelers what happens when your D isn't up to snuff.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The only thing is ZAR is such a small sample size and Jake usually does well with Sid plus he led the playoffs in goals with Sid. If ZAR could play NHL on the RW that’d be awesome it would fix a lot.

Guentzel-Crosby-ZAR
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Brassard-Kessel (that’s a fast line!)
Sheary-Sheahan-Kuhnhackl/Jooris
I wouldn't hate that line up but I'd prefer Rust play RW. However, giving that line up a look before the playoffs wouldn't be the worst thing.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Brassard is starting to look comfortable which is huge for us.

Malkin had 2 points but I didn't like his game much. He's been really sloppy lately imo. But he's in that Mario mode right now where even when he doesnt play especially well he gets points. Such a talent.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Pens are marginally better than some non playoff teams at home. Not the look of a contender. Bad D is bad D. Ask the Steelers what happens when your D isn't up to snuff.

We are 8-1 over the last 9 home games against playoff teams and 15-1 at home in 2018 against everyone

EDIT: 15-2 in 2018

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@ColePens, for as good as HGH is, for the sake of the TEAM, here's my top 9 . . .

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Rust
Jake-Brass-Phil

The only way we overcome this mix on defense and the putrid team defense (even if they step up, it's going to be scary) is IF Murray stands on his head AND our top 9 can attack in waves like 2016.

I just don't see another top 9 combination that maximizes the 3 line impact like what I've put above.

I know it is impossible, but I’d run this..

Guentzel - Crosby - Kessel
Hagelin - Malkin - Rust
Simon - Brassard - Hornqvist
ZAR - Sheahan - Sheary

When healthy.

Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I wouldn't hate that line up but I'd prefer Rust play RW. However, giving that line up a look before the playoffs wouldn't be the worst thing.

I like Rust on the RW too but he’s a top 9 player who isn’t great with Sid and I’d prefer to keep HGH together so it only leaves that spot.

The positive from the injures and line jumbling is that the Round 1 match up will be guessing at our line up (for the first game at least). Hard for them to truely come up with match ups. There is a 5 day wait before the first game.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ok, I figured out what our problem is...much of the team has already gotten started on their playoff beards well into 2018...Sid, Brassard,Phil etc. Bad juju...

They gotta stop it. Shave now and get started growing a new one...will make all the difference....we can beat NJD. Just get rid of the beards....

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I believe our next opponent is one of those losses....

The response was to someone suggesting we aren’t great at home, which is pretty far from the truth. Yeah one loss was in a close game to Jersey so I don’t really see your point. Do you think we are bad at home?

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
ZAR being back should bump Sheary from the lineup. He’s useless without skill and his legs are going now, but he can’t sustain this level of effort.

Crosby and Kessel’s compete level scares me a bit but they deserve the benefit of the doubt that they’ll flip the switch.

Letang needs to get back to how he was 5-10 games ago. Still miles better than early this year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Let's say ZAR comes back and is a regular for Sully. He's strictly a LW'er right? So that leaves you with:

LW: Jake-Hagelin-ZAR-Kuhn-Simon
RW: Kessel-Horny-Rust-Sheary

Now try to figure out lines there. Best I can do is:

Jake-Sid-Horny/Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust/Horny
ZAR-Brass-Kessel
Kuhn-Sheahan-Sheary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad