Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
vRFMdVu.png

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
+++ HGH: As usual awesome. I think Hags is such a treat to watch all game long. He's back on every backcheck. He's first in on forechecks. Horny is the heart. Geno is the star. It's a treat.

+ Brassard: I thought he was terrific. Great dishes and great 2 way play.

+ Sid's goal: Come on. Another one to watch 10 times. Beautiful hand-eye.

+ Jake Guentzel: So last game he got benched and ever since that benching - he went full psycho. In a good way. He's been a demon out there.

A little different minus here for me tonight. Im not going to bitch about Kessel or Letang. I'll talk about concerns.

- Sid's line: Nobody rotates high and nobody has rotated high all year. It looks awful with Rust and it's concerning because they have no groove/chemistry. For Sid's line to work, all 3 guys have to battle low and rotate high. Guentzel is battling low. Sid is 50/50. Rust is completely out to lunch. That line needs to figure it out. I think if Sid completely engages, it could work. But the rotating has been an issue all year. Kills us defensively.

- Brassard's line: I feel like Brassard is doing so well defensively but the chemistry isn't there yet. Nobody is chipping short and supporting. Kessel is just hanging around right now and Sheary is too weak to battle. It's a bad fit. Rust is a good fit because he battles with Brassard while Kessel does his thing. I really want Rust back on this line.

The only line doing small things all over the ice is HGH. And Malkin is engaged with Horny/Hags doing those small things. You see short chips/supporting one another. We need that on each line. And good lord the 4th line is pointless until we get healthy.

- PK: I am not sure how it's going to work. We desperately needed a Cole-like defender. Watching Benn tonight, i still contest that would have been a good pick up. I don't think we are going to see the PK get better. Not enough battle and we need that Cole-like guy.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
Better but still too many moments of dumb****ery.

Sid looked alive, so there’s that...

Jake had a good game.

DeSmith was pretty good.

Letang? No comment...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@ColePens, for as good as HGH is, for the sake of the TEAM, here's my top 9 . . .

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Rust
Jake-Brass-Phil

The only way we overcome this mix on defense and the putrid team defense (even if they step up, it's going to be scary) is IF Murray stands on his head AND our top 9 can attack in waves like 2016.

I just don't see another top 9 combination that maximizes the 3 line impact like what I've put above.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Well, they won despite Letang as usual doing everything to ruin it....

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Am I the only one who, while appreciating Geno's game tonight, misses the god-mode Geno that constantly went to the net to score rather than looking for someone else all night long?

Anyway, got a win, got a pretty goal, got 1 and 2 towards Geno maybe getting a trophy, that'll do.

Reactions: Mean Gene

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Unusual game. Habs really suck. Better job than last night's clunker by 100%.

Thinking ahead to Friday and how much joy I'd take in them knocking the Devils down a little more.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
BTW @ColePens, this team reminds me of the 2009-2010 team. I'm not saying it's the same, and maybe there is some magic switch. BUT, HGH is the 2009-2010 Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis/Guerin. Rest of the team is going through the motions on most nights. Like Geno in 2009-2010, there's no cohesion for a Sid line this year. And, like 2009-2010, the mix on defense is off, as is the team defensive play. Again, I'm not saying it ends the same way, but THAT is the vibe I'm getting watching them since the deadline.

Reactions: ColePens

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
+++Oleksiak
IMO, our best D tonight. Looked very comfortable in his own zone plus made some very good zone exit passes. I also really like how he can hold possession at the blue line in the offensive zone. I just wish that he could unleash a blistering shot sometimes. Don't understand why he fought though, no need for it.

++DeSmith
Some unlucky bounces, but other than that he was very solid. Made some timely saves(ie: Penalty Shot). Surprising factor is that he's 6'0" tall. That is unheard of for a goalie.

+Brassard
Very big PP goal. Very solid and played a good 200 foot game tonight.

+Crosby's GOTY
WOW, all I've got to say.

-Letang
Dude ... cmon. It's getting out of hand.

I think Oleksiak is my favorite defenseman out of the bunch.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
@ColePens, for as good as HGH is, for the sake of the TEAM, here's my top 9 . . .

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Rust
Jake-Brass-Phil

The only way we overcome this mix on defense and the putrid team defense (even if they step up, it's going to be scary) is IF Murray stands on his head AND our top 9 can attack in waves like 2016.

I just don't see another top 9 combination that maximizes the 3 line impact like what I've put above.
Sprong on Crosby's LW could be an upgrade, but that won't happen.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
+ we won
+ HGH, Sid, Jake, Brass
-Letang, Dumo
- Geno did not get 4 points
— we’ll be lucky to get past the first found of the POs. Murray better get into God shape quickly...

Reactions: ColePens

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Rust
Jake-Brass-Phil

Maybe Jake with Sid...ZAR with Brass and Kessel. Sheary on L4 with Sheahan and Jooris.

Don't trust Sheary in the top 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->