Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Sabres 3 - Scudjoy Saves the Day

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sprong almost has to be tried at left wing eventually. Kessel and Hornqvist are your top 6 right wings for the next 3 years at least. Bennett is a right winger so there's your 3rd line right winger. You currently have 2 dinosaurs and a UFA that is underperforming and the coach doesn't like as top 9 left wingers. If you are going to keep him up why not teach him the position he is going to have to play on this team?

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
I'd rather see Bennett play on the 4th line than on the 3rd with Kunitz. Kunitz absolutely brings nothing, I thought he'd be okay on the 3rd line but he killed anything Bonino and Bennett tried. Hopefully they can slot Plotnikov back with those two. Ideally Kunitz gets scratched but we all know that won't happen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sprong almost has to be tried at left wing eventually. Kessel and Hornqvist are your top 6 right wings for the next 3 years at least. Bennett is a right winger so there's your 3rd line right winger. You currently have 2 dinosaurs and a UFA that is underperforming and the coach doesn't like as top 9 left wingers. If you are going to keep him up why not teach him the position he is going to have to play on this team?

I really think Bennett can be Geno's LW at least. I think with some time there he'd work out whatever kinks he has with switching sides. He's looked good in that LW spot before with Geno and Neal, I don't see why he couldn't with Geno and Kessel.

With Sprong, I would basically be telling him his future is at LW and that he should be practicing at LW every chance he gets. I really wish we could send him to the AHL. His Junior team will almost certainly play him at RW if that's what he's currently best at. I'd be happy to try him there right now based on who is currently in those spots, but I just don't think its going to happen with MJ here. He didn't want veteran Perron to play left wing; I don't think junior player Sprong has a chance.

As long as Kunitz and Dupuis are seen as too good to play on the 4th line, our lines won't be as good as they should be. All I want with the forwards is for Kunitz to be gone and Duper to be used as a bottom 6 guy. At that point, it would be hard to make bad lines. Is that really too much to ask?

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Because they'd rather him focus on strengthening the weaknesses in his game?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Because they'd rather him focus on strengthening the weaknesses in his game?

for 6 minutes a night. I think he could improve his game even more while playing 3rd line LW 12 minutes a night. And as a bonus, he's a better hockey player than Kunitz in that spot.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Most of the bad of this team seems to revolve around Kunitz being force fed minutes no matter how bad he plays.

he gots to go

Bennett-Sid-Horny
Perron-Geno-Kessel
Bonino-Fehr-Sprong
Plotnikov-Cullen-Dupuis

bam, that's a line-up right there. If Bennett really can't handle the LW, try Bonino or Fehr there. Even if it gave us

Bonino/Fehr-Sid-Horny
Perron-Geno-Kessel
Plotnikov-Bonino/Fehr-Bennett
Dupuis-Cullen-Sprong

You know what, I can accept Sprong on that 4th line because you can argue there are 6 better wings in front of him for the roles they are in. Plus a Dupuis-Cullen-Sprong line could be a legitimate threat to score. And while Kunitz is just a bad player at this point, I don't think Dupuis is. He's just being used incorrectly.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bonino is fine in his current role. Dont rock the boat. Same with Cullen. We have a need on LW. Gotta try Fehr there eventually.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Bonino is fine in his current role. Dont rock the boat. Same with Cullen. We have a need on LW. Gotta try Fehr there eventually.

Pretty tough to move your best faceoff guy so far to wing in Bonino, and yah, we need a top 6 LW. We have to try Fehr there at some point.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Well Bonino has played top 6 LW before and Fehr hasn't really. But yeah, I'd certainly try both. Probably Fehr first.

I disagree with your don't rock the boat sentiment though. I think, despite winning 5 of 6, our boat still needs rocked.

Pretty tough to move your best faceoff guy so far to wing in Bonino, and yah, we need a top 6 LW. We have to try Fehr there at some point.

Fair point on the faceoffs.

My main point is that with Kunitz gone and Dupuis in the bottom 6, it would be pretty hard to put together a bad line-up if guys are even in remotely the right position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad