Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Sabres 3 - Scudjoy Saves the Day

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, sure Dupuis shouldn't be in the top 6 and he's 36 years old but to lump him with Kunitz and Scuderi is ludicrous. He's not useless. Like Cullen Dupuis can still skate. He can be effective and actually make his linemates better. After losing most of the past two seasons via injury/illness he's going to need some time to get his game back to 100% (we've seen Maatta having to deal with this). Yes, this organization has continually coddled and senselessly tenured old and useless players (hello Craig Adams) beyond the limits of tolerance but it's unfair to say Dupuis is one of them.

You appear to have missed my point, I think.

The point isn't that Dupuis is playing bad right now. The point is, Dupuis will not be able to sustain this level of play throughout his contract and that he's taking a spot away from more talented younger players with higher ceilings.

And as your post and every newspaper article underscore, Dupuis is too good of a human interest story to scratch or demote or trade, so talented young players like Sprong and Bennett will not get a chance to develop to their potential. We are stuck with Dupuis unless his health forces him to retire.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

The point isn't that Dupuis is playing bad right now. The point is, Dupuis will not be able to sustain this level of play throughout his contract and that he's taking a spot away from more talented younger players with higher ceilings.

And as your post and every newspaper article underscore, Dupuis is too good of a human interest story to scratch or demote or trade, so talented young players like Sprong and Bennett will not get a chance to develop to their potential. We are stuck with Dupuis unless his health forces him to retire.

And that's why I won't be all that disappointed if we miss the playoffs this year.

#1 our pick is lottery protected, and #2 missing the playoffs might be the only way that our ownership/management finally decide that our win now attitude needs to change and we need to start enduring the growing pains of a youth movement.

Of course, knowing our luck all they'll decide is it was all Johnston's fault and a new coach can magically fix everything.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
And that's why I won't be all that disappointed if we miss the playoffs this year.

#1 our pick is lottery protected, and #2 missing the playoffs might be the only way that our ownership/management finally decide that our win now attitude needs to change and we need to start enduring the growing pains of a youth movement.

Of course, knowing our luck all they'll decide is it was all Johnston's fault and a new coach can magically fix everything.

There's also the chance that they squander the pick at the draft on a stupid trade.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There's also the chance that they squander the pick at the draft on a stupid trade.

True. At least the conditions on the draft pick mean that it can't be moved before the season ends since the Pens only keep it if they miss the playoffs.

Meaning that at the very least the Pens will keep that pick until after the lottery and so there's a chance we could be picking 1, 2, or 3 if we miss the playoffs.

And if we do make the playoffs, hey, it's playoff hockey. Even with a **** coach like Johnston there's always at least a chance you can win once you get in there.

So unlike most years I have some hope about our future.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Dupuis looks good with Crosby so far.

This team won't go far w Duper on L1. Having said that I prefer him to Kunitz. he's faster and digs pucks out in tough areas, freeing up Crosby in ways Kunitz hasn't for 2 years.
Doesnt mean he is the best or even a good option there and the fact that anytime there's a free couple shifts cos Duper just killed a penalty, it goes to Kunitz, not BB or Sprong only drives home the fact that MJ is a moron.

Truly maddening.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Wait a second... Bennett was playing on the 4th line last night?!?!

(I missed the game, sorry if it was covered already)

Indeed he did for half a game.

In fact, even though Beau was one of their best forwards against the Caps the night before, MJ found it fit to play him for 3 minutes in the first, which was the LEAST TOI of all skaters.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

In fact, even though Beau was one of their best forwards against the Caps the night before, MJ found it fit to play him for 3 minutes in the first, which was the LEAST TOI of all skaters.

"Ya gotta earn it" etc. etc.

This organization's ****ing puke.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

That's actually a very real possibility with this organization. Imagine the Pens are on the bubble of making the playoffs as the trade deadline rolls around. Would anyone be surprised if this team decided to trade its 1st round pick in return for someone they think can help them make the playoffs this year? Hell, the Despres/Lovejoy trade was made for exactly that sort of rationale.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

That makes me angry. What more do they want from him? Theyd bench him if he met any goal they gave him.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That's actually a very real possibility with this organization.

Yeah, Rutherford calling up Lebrun out of the blue to tell him "ownership told me I'm not to think about the future," doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence about the long-term wisdom of any transactions this year.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
That was back when Penguins ownership and management was more interested in winning Stanley Cups.
Truth.

That's actually a very real possibility with this organization. Imagine the Pens are on the bubble of making the playoffs as the trade deadline rolls around. Would anyone be surprised if this team decided to trade its 1st round pick in return for someone they think can help them make the playoffs this year? Hell, the Despres/Lovejoy trade was made for exactly that sort of rationale.
Luckily, I don't think we can trade any firsts until our obligation to Toronto has been fulfilled. So that rules out any deadline deals.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Yeah, Rutherford calling up Lebrun out of the blue to tell him "ownership told me I'm not to think about the future," doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence about the long-term wisdom of any transactions this year.
I missed that. That does 2 things for me. First, it seriously pisses me off. Second, it pretty much confirms to me that the root of our problems is ownership and their guys.

:(

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

And people wonder why BB loses confidence at times. He plays very well and gets demoted the next game. He's sitting on the bench watching empty uniforms like Kunitz and Scuderi play key roles despite their complete incompetence.

Why would anybody play hard for MJ? If you're a big name vet like Kunitz or Scuderi you know you will play no matter how terrible you might be. If you are BB, Plots or Sprong, you realize that you will be marginalized no matter how well you play. This whole environment is just poison. You could have the greatest leaders in the history of the game on this team and the locker room would still fall apart with MJ running the show.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pens PR staff is pretty happy tonight. A rich kid not getting a puck is a national news story. My god.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home

I agree with your view. My point isn't that Dupuis should be playing in the top 6. He shouldn't (as I stated). But he shouldn't be vilified as a worthless player because he's misused by the coach. He's not blocking anyone that MJ (or someone in the organIzation) doesn't want blocked. Now Kunitz and Scuderi have no business dressing on this team and yes Sprong and Bennett both need to be playing and gaining experience by playing in the top 6. Dupuis can add a lot to this team when used properly but the coach has yet to make this happen.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He's not playing in offensive situations and he's not playing with offensively skilled players. Sprong needs to go back to the Q unless we're trying to develop him into the next Kevin Porter.

what other team in the league would be playing bennett on the fourth line at this point? who wouldn't have bumped him up? it's just this one i'm pretty sure

Yep, with the way Bennett is playing and the minutes Sprong is getting (or more accurately not getting) he should go back to the Q.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yep, with the way Bennett is playing and the minutes Sprong is getting (or more accurately not getting) he should go back to the Q.

I'm guessing they will see how Fehr fairs. With Plotnikov already sitting, Porter being waived, Rust and Sundy available...then tack on Kunitz and Dupuis likely not leaving...I don't see the org making the right decision. When have they ever...minus Staal and Maatta...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not saying Sprong is as talented as these guys, but Lecavalier and Thornton both played limited minutes on fourth lines as 18-year-olds and they turned out just fine. We are not hurting his offensive development by having him playing on the fourth line as an 18-year-old.

Sprong needs to learn the game at the pro level. Sending him to the Q makes even less sense than playing him 5 minutes a night, IMO. 12-14 minutes a night with Bonino and Fehr would be optimal.

Those guys also dominated juniors at a level Sprong hasn't yet done. There are also cases like James Sheppard, Colton Gillies, Nino Niederreiter, Kyle Turris, Josh Bailey, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Burmistrov, guys that were rushed and were either set back in their development or irreparably damaged.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
There is no proof that jumping right to the pros hurts anyone.... It's a myth. Minors can give guys time to learn something that their games lack.... They can still do that in the nhl if they are given minutes and direction...

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Physical maturity, confidence, and a full understanding of the reality of NHL hockey don't matter at all to a prospect's success, sure. NHL coaches whose job is to win now definitely have time and motive to spent their time showing 18-year-olds the ropes.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'm guessing they will see how Fehr fairs. With Plotnikov already sitting, Porter being waived, Rust and Sundy available...then tack on Kunitz and Dupuis likely not leaving...I don't see the org making the right decision. When have they ever...minus Staal and Maatta...

We're just too deep at forward to give Sprong meaningful minutes, especially once Fehr's back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad