Line Combos: Pens 2023 Training Camp Thread: Dr. StrangeDubas or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Game

By the end of training camp:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Y7nDR0i.png

***Looking for volunteers for regular season GDTs, Please sign up***

please-help-help-5a8b21.jpg

Schedule:

Friday, October 6
10:30 AM – Morning Skate (FedEx Rink – Rink 1)
7:00 PM – GAME AT BUFFALO

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think they'll do this because they didn't waive Shea, but I wonder if the Penguins would consider claiming Bogosian off of waivers to play with POJ on the 3rd pair. Dubas brought Bogosian to Toronto in the past where he did pretty well, plus I think Bogosian brings the exact skillsets you want in a partner for POJ.

The issue there is that they didn't waive Shea so they don't have the ability to send him down before rosters are due. They could submit a "final" roster that has both Shea and Bogosian on it, they'd just have to send Zohorna to the AHL and have 12 F and 8 D rather than 13 F and 7 D. You could waive Shea today and send him down tomorrow before the first game, but the "final roster" would have Shea on it.

It would also be funny to see Zohorna claimed off waivers but the Penguins end up claiming someone like Greer or Lavoie. I think that would actually be an upgrade, especially if they got Lavoie, but you'll have some people super mad about that :laugh:

Reactions: Gurglesons

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
My takeaway from the Dubas presser is that he is going to churn the bottom 6 if they are playing like shit. Specifically mentioned Z, Hino, Nylander, Johnsson, Puusty, and you can probably throw Poulin into this mix after some time in WBS. He said this in regards to if there's "ineffectiveness" in the current bottom 6, not injury, so I feel pretty confident everyone's favorite shitty prospect will get their turn!

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think they'll do this because they didn't waive Shea, but I wonder if the Penguins would consider claiming Bogosian off of waivers to play with POJ on the 3rd pair. Dubas brought Bogosian to Toronto in the past where he did pretty well, plus I think Bogosian brings the exact skillsets you want in a partner for POJ.

The issue there is that they didn't waive Shea so they don't have the ability to send him down before rosters are due. They could submit a "final" roster that has both Shea and Bogosian on it, they'd just have to send Zohorna to the AHL and have 12 F and 8 D rather than 13 F and 7 D. You could waive Shea today and send him down tomorrow before the first game, but the "final roster" would have Shea on it.

Bogo is apparently toast, but he brings a lot of what we need if he can get back to being some level of serviceable.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
My takeaway from the Dubas presser is that he is going to churn the bottom 6 if they are playing like shit. Specifically mentioned Z, Hino, Nylander, Johnsson, Puusty, and you can probably throw Poulin into this mix after some time in WBS. He said this in regards to if there's "ineffectiveness" in the current bottom 6, not injury, so I feel pretty confident everyone's favorite shitty prospect will get their turn!
My lone criticism of Dooby is that he's hyper focused on 4th line guys. I'd prefer he had that same fervor in getting Tatar which in turn would push another decent player down the line up. That would also make some guys in the top six accountable like Rust. Unless DOC really emerges we're looking at swapping in and out 10th-12th forwards on the depth chart.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Few more comments today from Dubas on the fringe NHLers:

Really interesting how high he seems to be on Nylander. I think the handling of Poulin is definitely appropriate as well, I imagine he'll be up full-time in December or January assuming he keeps playing well.

I'm also interested to see who comes out of the lineup if these guys end up cutting it as NHLers. You'll definitely have players get hurt and struggle, but I imagine a lot of the roster spots are pretty much locked in. I think Harkins and Carter are the most likely, with possibly O'Connor sliding to L4 as well if he doesn't maintain his hot start, but that's really about it as far as I can tell.

Reactions: Dominance

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Didn't see if this was posted but I feel like Jake is most likely back for the opener tomorrow. L1 and PP1 practice time under Sully usually suggests he's playing

I am trying to look on the bright side but...L1 and L2 are defensive black holes, if they don't produce in overwhelming numbers we are in for a long season Tanger and EK will be pinching and getting exposed, not sure Petts and Garves will be able to cover. our 3L and 4L at best will make it equal, they won't outscore anyone...my hope is that guys like DOC, Harkins, maybe Pouliot, Pusty, or someone totally unexpected or something like that change this equation

Reactions: Andy99

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ben Gleason apparently had a great camp for the Oil. Edmonton fans said he was arguably their best d in preseason. Only 25 too.

Sounds like a worthwhile pickup. I'd waive Shea for him.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Few more comments today from Dubas on the fringe NHLers:

Really interesting how high he seems to be on Nylander. I think the handling of Poulin is definitely appropriate as well, I imagine he'll be up full-time in December or January assuming he keeps playing well.

I'm also interested to see who comes out of the lineup if these guys end up cutting it as NHLers. You'll definitely have players get hurt and struggle, but I imagine a lot of the roster spots are pretty much locked in. I think Harkins and Carter are the most likely, with possibly O'Connor sliding to L4 as well if he doesn't maintain his hot start, but that's really about it as far as I can tell.

This is refreshing, clear message to these guys whats expected,

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This is refreshing, clear message to these guys whats expected,
Sounds like GM-speak to me :dunno:

Sure, stay motivated and playing well. But when push comes to shove, they could have a million excuses why they called up White, Hino, etc. instead.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I definitely think it's the best thing for Poulin to be getting big minutes and opportunity in WBS as opposed to playing 4th line minutes in like 25% of the games at the NHL level. :laugh:

He missed a lot of time. He serves no purpose in a grunt role which seems like what the team wants out of their bottom-6, and he's not in a spot yet where he's an upgrade over any top-6 options. /shrug

Carter will be gone next season. If Poulin acquits himself well throughout the year in WBS, I imagine he'll get a call up later in the year or he'll be on the inside track to land a top-9 spot next camp/pre-season.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad