Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Preds 1 (OT) - Flower Power

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Either of those two destroy a shift, however, at least Dupuis has speed. Not a lot of options, Bennett might be the second best, providing he doesn't celebrate.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even if I agreed with that (which I don't), he was still a dumpster fire for the previous 7. He's been consistently our worst forward this year.

If you don't think Perron was good last game, there's really no point in ever discussing his play with you.

Why not pair him with Letang, then have Maatta and Clendening as your second pairing with Dumo and Cole as the third. Or flip them so Dumo and Cole are the second pair.

Russell would be UFA at the end of the season. That would give Maatta plenty of time to regain his form, as well as Pooh time in the A to round out his game and regain his confidence. Make him the first call up for injuries.

Because he would cost considerable assets and I'd rather make the right decisions with the defensemen we have (ie benching Scuds and icing Clendening/Pouliot) before declaring we NEED help in transition.

It's like saying you need help walking when you have a habit of shooting yourself in the foot every morning. Stop shooting yourself in the foot and see how things go.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Perron has been pretty bad defensively at times but I feel like his offensive game hasn't been as bad as it looks on paper. He's had plenty of shots from the slot, just isn't burying them.

He's hit or miss offensively. Depends upon whether he notices he has linemates and feels like sharing the puck. When he does, he's a top six forward offensively. But, if you're putting him out with Geno and Kessel, it means you're asking Geno to do the lion's share of work defensively and Kessel to be the line's second best defensive forwards, and that detracts from what Geno and Kessel are supposed to be contributing to a line together.

It's why I think mpp9 is right about Fehr being ticketed for L2 LW.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I like Russell, but before we start trading, doesn't it make sense to give Clendening a shot?

I was promised a blueline that was going young. We got Dumo and...that's it.

I just want us to see what we have.

That, and our transition's going to be **** as long as we're icing Scuds. That's one pair that's a complete write-off in transition every time they drop the puck.

The thing with Clendening is that Maatta looked his most comfortable all season (preseason and regular season) when they were paired together.

For me, the question isn't whether Scuderi or Clendening is better. It's who's style gets the most out of Maatta, because ultimately the success of that pairing is going to hinge on Maatta playing to form.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The thing with Clendening is that Maatta looked his most comfortable all season (preseason and regular season) when they were paired together.

For me, the question isn't whether Scuderi or Clendening is better. It's who's style gets the most out of Maatta, because ultimately the success of that pairing is going to hinge on Maatta playing to form.

And who is better at playing MJ's system and who is better at hockey and who has more upside and who isn't really old and slow and whose name isn't Scuderi.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And who is better at playing MJ's system and who is better at hockey and who has more upside and who isn't really old and slow and whose name isn't Scuderi.

Well there's that too of course.

My observation was more general. Forget system, is it about whether Scuderi or Clendening is better even in the abstract or the guy with whom Maatta is more likely to play to form. Even if you insist that Scuderi is better, the difference between Scuderi and Clendening is smaller than the difference between the Maatta you get with Clendening and the one you get with Scuderi.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So we're playing for a loss tomorrow right?

That presupposes the Pens have any control over what the Caps are going to do to them. :laugh:

EDIT: Now, a spanking tomorrow and a loss on Thursday might get the trick done and let the Tocchet era begin or, if we're lucky, just continue in its present form. That's really the problem here . . . there's a good chance that POS might be the next HC.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
By far, Maatta's best game was with Clendening. But, Clendening had those two inconsequential penalties that lead to.....nothing! Plus, heaven forbid, his passes actually went to teammates.

Question, if we are hiring Gonchar as defenseman development coach; what is Agnew's job? I thought he was our Defensmen coach and Penalty Kill guru. Still, this might again be an example of the disconnect between the coaching staff and the front office. I know it was coming from TIOPS, but there was an article today, and I only get a small blurb, that GMJR talking about keeping Sprong while HCMJ wants to send him back. So if we look back at the Sutter/Bonino-Clendening trade, I doubt MJ was as high on Clendening as JR. If JR is a GM who lets his coach, coach; then the disconnect is true. Which we see with the so called Clendening mandate. If that is all true, then somebody needs to go, and soon.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
By far, Maatta's best game was with Clendening. But, Clendening had those two inconsequential penalties that lead to.....nothing! Plus, heaven forbid, his passes actually went to teammates.

Question, if we are hiring Gonchar as defenseman development coach; what is Agnew's job? I thought he was our Defensmen coach and Penalty Kill guru. Still, this might again be an example of the disconnect between the coaching staff and the front office. I know it was coming from TIOPS, but there was an article today, and I only get a small blurb, that GMJR talking about keeping Sprong while HCMJ wants to send him back. So if we look back at the Sutter/Bonino-Clendening trade, I doubt MJ was as high on Clendening as JR. If JR is a GM who lets his coach, coach; then the disconnect is true. Which we see with the so called Clendening mandate. If that is all true, then somebody needs to go, and soon.

Gonchar will be Agnew's replacement if he's fired along with Johnston.

He won't be Tocchet's replacement, unless Tocchet is promoted to HC.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
LOL I meant praying.

1 in 3 shot Tocchet is promoted to HC.
2 in 3 shot he stays an assistant.

I think you've got to play the odds that it's not Tocchet replacing Johnston, but I wanted to make sure you appreciated the risks associated with your prayers. :D

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well there's that too of course.

My observation was more general. Forget system, is it about whether Scuderi or Clendening is better even in the abstract or the guy with whom Maatta is more likely to play to form. Even if you insist that Scuderi is better, the difference between Scuderi and Clendening is smaller than the difference between the Maatta you get with Clendening and the one you get with Scuderi.

I know. I just wanted to add to the ridiculousness that is playing Scuderi.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Agnew's job is to coach the defense and penalty kill. Gonchar's job is to work with the younger, mostly non-NHL, defensemen to help them develop into the players they need to be. For instance, Gonchar will basically be the guy when it comes to getting Pouliot's game up to where they feel comfortable throwing him back into the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad