Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Preds 1 (OT) - Flower Power

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
In my limited viewings of Russell, I like him. Some will say we dont' need another smaller D-man, but I'll take his skillset over a Roman Polak all day every day. See if you can get our transition game going with him and a call up of Pouliot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well I would too, but I am assuming we would need to make a significant add to DP to get Vatanen. And I don't necessarily consider him a top 4 D, he's paired with Stoner mostly, and he's their Scuds. Plus Vatanen makes DP look big.

I'd go as high as Perron and Pouliot for Vatanen. I also really disagree that he's not a top-4 D, I think he's a very solid middle pair D that should be paired with a more defensively responsible guy. The fact that he's not in the Ducks top-4 speaks more to how good the Ducks top-4 is.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In my limited viewings of Russell, I like him. Some will say we dont' need another smaller D-man, but I'll take his skillset over a Roman Polak all day every day. See if you can get our transition game going with him and a call up of Pouliot.

I like Russell, but before we start trading, doesn't it make sense to give Clendening a shot?

I was promised a blueline that was going young. We got Dumo and...that's it.

I just want us to see what we have.

That, and our transition's going to be **** as long as we're icing Scuds. That's one pair that's a complete write-off in transition every time they drop the puck.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
:laugh:

Well-picked number.

But yeah... at this point I don't care which one is a sliver worse than the other. They're both absolutely awful to behold as hockey players. Kunitz probably for good... Perron... who knows. But neither have been any good on THIS team for more or less the same amount of time. Or close enough to be irrelevant.

I've had my fill of both. Perron has been jerked around more but man... at some point he has to take advantage when the opportunity presents itself. And it's presented itself more than enough that he should be sitting on something aside from a big fat zero in the goals column after... however many games it's been. Too many.

You know who is also sitting at 0 goals and hasn't been jerked around all all this season? Maybe we should get rid of him too?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You know who is also sitting at 0 goals and hasn't been jerked around all all this season? Maybe we should get rid of him too?

The difference is Hornqvist (I'm assuming you're talking about him) has played well while Perron has been actively hurting us. Perron has been a straight up dumpster fire.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I like Russell, but before we start trading, doesn't it make sense to give Clendening a shot?

That, and our transition's going to be **** as long as we're icing Scuds. That's one pair that's a complete write-off in transition every time they drop the puck.

Why not pair him with Letang, then have Maatta and Clendening as your second pairing with Dumo and Cole as the third. Or flip them so Dumo and Cole are the second pair.

Russell would be UFA at the end of the season. That would give Maatta plenty of time to regain his form, as well as Pooh time in the A to round out his game and regain his confidence. Make him the first call up for injuries.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Perron has been pretty bad defensively at times but I feel like his offensive game hasn't been as bad as it looks on paper. He's had plenty of shots from the slot, just isn't burying them.

Malkin112*

Malkin had TOI under 19:00 in game like this. Crosby's line was constantly jammed in the D-zone.

1. Crosby 23:36
  2. Kessel 19:20
  3. Malkin 18:52
  4. Dupuis 18:40
  5. Hornq 18:15
  6. Bonino 17:52
  7. Kunitz 17:24
  8. Cullen 13:21
  9. Perron 12:58
  10. Sprong 9:47
  11. Plotnik 8:54

1. Letang 26:44
  2. Cole 22:17
  3. Lovejoy 17:31
  4. Scuderi 16:45
  5. Maatta 15:39
  6. Dumoli 14:47

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
Well I'm not moving Sprong. That's for sure. I'd definitely move Pouliot though if it upgrades our top 4 for a while. I don't really think all that highly of Pouliot's defense to think he'll ever be a top 4 guy on this team. I mean I'd love to be wrong about that. So to me trading Perron with Pouliot isn't all that risky of a move. One guy who probably won't be here next season, and a guy who hasn't really shown he can master his own zone enough to play in the top 4. All for help in an area of need because we don't have any more defensive prospects left to wait for.

I agree with this completely. Perron has been a huge bust, which is surprising, considering he scored 28 goals on Edmonton only 2 years ago.......But I wouldn't miss Perron, and we would end up flipping Pouliot into something more of a sure thing.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
People are nuts if thay think this franchise is trading Pouliot for a top 4 D. They are in love with him and have turned down a ton of deals for him already. a good tp 4 ufa d man can be had for a mid level pick more often than not...

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
People are nuts if thay think this franchise is trading Pouliot for a top 4 D. They are in love with him and have turned down a ton of deals for him already. a good tp 4 ufa d man can be had for a mid level pick more often than not...

I'm not trading anything for a rental. No more of that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yes please. There is no reason to spend major assets for a need when you might actually have an improvement in house.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yes please. There is no reason to spend major assets for a need when you might actually have an improvement in house.

Certainly playing Clendening over Scuds is a must now and forever. That doesn't mean I'm not listening to offers either though. It also all depends on how highly you value Pouliot too. I personally don't, but I obviously could be dead wrong, and in fact hope to be.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Certainly playing Clendening over Scuds is a must now and forever. That doesn't mean I'm not listening to offers either though. It also all depends on how highly you value Pouliot too. I personally don't, but I obviously could be dead wrong, and in fact hope to be.

Yeah I'd listen for sure. Pouliot's a weird one for me. I was pissed about the pick and haven't been overly impressed with his pro play, but he has high upside and I'm just not sure we can get a good enough player in return (that helps us long term) that makes it worth moving him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Clendening aint playing 20+ minutes. Im all in favor of playing him and DP over ScudJoy, but that doesnt ease Letang's burden right now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Clendening aint playing 20+ minutes. Im all in favor of playing him and DP over ScudJoy, but that doesnt ease Letang's burden right now.

It does if they were willing to sit him on the PP. Also, Dumo is playing the least minutes now. He can play 2 or 3 more easily. They just have to be willing to make the right decisions. I'm not saying they don't need to bring in an upgrade, but why not find out what you actually have on your team before doing so?

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
What has the first 8 games told us, this is not a cup contending team and will struggle to make the playoffs if in fact they do make it. The reasons in any order you want to put them, an overall less than average D, no prospects except for Sprong, DP, Sundquist and Murray, and overall very bad coaching.

How do you fix this mess. First, an overall change in hockey philosophy. NO MORE RENTALS, PERIOD. Second, only make HOCKEY TRADES but be on the winning side of SD like trades. Third, except for MAF who right now is your most important asset in winning any game, be willing to trade anybody including Sid or Geno if the total return is better than Sid or Geno. And lastly, use the buy-out, waiver, or sit in press box method to rid this team of bad past mistakes, contracts and players.

Does this management team or whoever is running this mess have the balls to do any of this, I doubt it. So look forward to complaining about wasting 7 years of Sid/Geno now, and 8 years after next year. Its simply inept management.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I still can't believe Dupuis was on the first shift for 3v3 overtime.

Yeah that was pretty ridiculous. I guess he thought his speed could help with a fast break. The problem is he has no hands. Sprong should have been the guy to put out there with Sid if you want a speedster.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Yeah that was pretty ridiculous. I guess he thought his speed could help with a fast break. The problem is he has no hands. Sprong should have been the guy to put out there with Sid if you want a speedster.

But this coaching staff just loves experience, the more the better, no matter how bad.. If I were Sprong, I would demand a trade and get out of this organization, the sooner the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad