Confirmed with Link: Penner to Capitals for 4th round pick

Fitlanbox

Jul 10, 2011
Somehow I just know Penner-Laich-Brouwer will happen at least once....but anyway, I like this move. I don't know that it was really needed, but it definitely won't hurt.

I would hope this means Mojo gets an extended look at 2/3C. I'd like to see him between Chimera and Ward for more than a game or two, that could be a really solid line.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Gut feeling is good trade. Looks good and feels good. If it turns out bad and I criticize GMGM later for making the deal, link to this post.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I would hope this means Mojo gets an extended look at 2/3C. I'd like to see him between Chimera and Ward for more than a game or two, that could be a really solid line.
That happened at one point this season. They were ok to my eyes, but didn't produce many points if I recall.

But I'd be good with that line.

Fitlanbox

Jul 10, 2011
That happened at one point this season. They were ok to my eyes, but didn't produce many points if I recall.

But I'd be good with that line.

Maybe it did, for some reason I was thinking that he only ever had a period of 4 or 5 games there.

Actually now that I think about it, something like this could be a really solid lineup

Penner-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Kuz-Mojo-Brouwer
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Fehr/Volpatti/whoever is called up this week-Beagle-Wilson

I would be more than ok with that, and I would LOVE to see a line of Kuz-Mojo-Wilson.

Liberati0n*

Definitely a good trade. I guess it's time to hope they get a defenseman and stop rooting for them to tank.

I wonder if they got a slight discount since they gave Anaheim Perreault for the same nothing before.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
If/when everyone is healthy:

Erat-Grabovski-Brouwer
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Kuznetsov-Johansson-Fehr

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
If/when everyone is healthy:

Erat-Grabovski-Brouwer
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Kuznetsov-Johansson-Fehr

That's pretty deep that fourth line isn't ideal though, I feel like Wilsons earned atleast a chance to play without anchors like Volpatti and random Hershey players though but it's hard to take anyone else out

Kuznetsov-Grabo-Brouwer
Chimera-Johansson-Ward
Erat-Laich-Fehr

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
The Caps will have to move salary before activating Hillen tomorrow, so…

Here's my forward lineup assuming Erat is moved tomorrow as a salary dump and no other transactions occur (with Laich not injured, Grabovski still out, and Kuznetsov in the mix):

Laich - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Penner - Johansson - Brouwer
Chimera - Kuznetsov - Ward
Deschamps/Fehr - Fehr/Wellman - Wilson
Beagle, Volpatti

With everyone healthy, things get cray. And things get even cray-er if say Erskine is the cap dump instead of Erat.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
That's pretty deep that fourth line isn't ideal though, I feel like Wilsons earned atleast a chance to play without anchors like Volpatti and random Hershey players though but it's hard to take anyone else out

Kuznetsov-Grabo-Brouwer
Chimera-Johansson-Ward
Erat-Laich-Fehr

I'm good with that. I was trying to ease Kuznetsov in but my 4th line was really just another scoring line getting less ice time.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

Kuznetsov-Grabo-Brouwer
Chimera-Johansson-Ward
Erat-Laich-Fehr

I thought Wilson can't go to Hershey, it's juniors or NHL for him right now, or does the deadline/rosters change that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I just want to find out where the Erat is only a right wing myth came from. He played the majority of his early years on the left side, moving over to the right in 2009 or so. He then played the left side as recently as two seasons ago.

The internets, likely.

What have you done for me lately, and he was a RW in his recent years. I guess few here followed him 5 years ago to know.

Thanks for chiming in.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
If the Whalers are done, he can. Not sure what their situation is re playoffs.

What about the AHL roster rule? Player xxx must be on the AHL roster by xxx date to be eligible to play in the AHL playoffs....something like that. I know it was a reason for paper transactions for waiver exempt players in the past.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Good deal for us. Obviously it doesnt fill our biggest need but if he happens to click with Ovi and Nick it could be fantastic. Either way its an upgrade to our current roster and i cant imagine anyone arguing that it isnt.

butters8814*

I have a gut feeling erat is gone by tomorrow afternoon. Still hope that GMGM doesnt do something stupid, like trading our top prospects for second and third liners

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
What about the AHL roster rule? Player xxx must be on the AHL roster by xxx date to be eligible to play in the AHL playoffs....something like that. I know it was a reason for paper transactions for waiver exempt players in the past.

I don't know how it works with regard to players who are still junior-eligible. There may be an exemption. If sent down, he'd never reach Hershey - he'd just go straight to Plymouth. So by that rule he'd never be eligible for AHL playoffs as long as he was junior-eligible. Maybe he can sign an ATO once Plymouth is eliminated or something.

Edit: I'm following a conversation between @sk84fun_dc and @ScottStuccio about this very question on Twitter. Neither of them knew, so Stuccio has put the question to Yingst.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Good move by GMGM, can't help but think there's more to come down the line. Hopefully he doesn't **** it up.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I have a gut feeling erat is gone by tomorrow afternoon. Still hope that GMGM doesnt do something stupid, like trading our top prospects for second and third liners

Good move by GMGM, can't help but think there's more to come down the line. Hopefully he doesn't **** it up.

I'm no McPhee lover but people have some pretty short memories on HF. McPhee has been pretty solid on the trade front his entire tenure. The Erat trade may end up being awful depending upon how Forsberg and Latta develop and if we trade Erat and what the return is. Beyond that I can't find any stinkers of his. Would anyone like to elaborate on this new stigma that McPhee makes awful trades and sells the farm?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am calling it. No one wants Erat and George is forced to loan him to Praha of the IHL

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I'm no McPhee lover but people have some pretty short memories on HF. McPhee has been pretty solid on the trade front his entire tenure. The Erat trade may end up being awful depending upon how Forsberg and Latta develop and if we trade Erat and what the return is. Beyond that I can't find any stinkers of his. Would anyone like to elaborate on this new stigma that McPhee makes awful trades and sells the farm?
He's been fine since I started watching hockey which was fairly recently. But after the Erat trade I think it's rational to be wary of any more big moves coming from him.

Since I've followed the caps he hasn't really made any big "impact" moves outside of that one, it's mostly just trading picks or prospects for UFA's who never pan out and are never resigned which takes it's toll on the organization over time. Hannan, Arnott, Ribeiro, Wideman, Corvo, letting Semin walk for nothing, etc.

I did really like the Varlamov trade up until the Erat trade in his defense though. :laugh:

capsfan528

Dec 20, 2008
Penner feels like the Knuble type that the top line was missing since he left. big body that will drive the net and bang in junk..i like the trade for what we gave up, and with him being a UFA there is no commitment long term either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad