Confirmed Signing with Link: Penguins sign Zach Aston-Reese

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
ZAR has 2 goals and 4 points through 3 games with WBS so far this year. He actually may be even closer to NHL ready than I thought, I think he might be a very safe bet to be a bottom-6 forward as soon as next year.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
ZAR has 2 goals and 4 points through 3 games with WBS so far this year. He actually may be even closer to NHL ready than I thought, I think he might be a very safe bet to be a bottom-6 forward as soon as next year.

Now to get the other Hobey Baker nominee from Union Mike Vecchione.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Add another assist, he has 5 points in 3 games. Freakin Zach attack.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man it sucks that his contract kicks in next season, because as it stands right now, we could use some help on the big club, those injuries are ridiculous, it seems like lately we lose a player a game.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Don't even remember him touching the puck on his assist. Thought it was kicked in and should have been disallowed but whatever. Only remember seeing him 2 times last night. Once he tried making a stop by the end boards and absolutely ate it so he took a header into the boards. He was also yapping with TJ Brennan after the whistle in a scrum. Skating looked quite poor in person.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Don't even remember him touching the puck on his assist. Thought it was kicked in and should have been disallowed but whatever. Only remember seeing him 2 times last night. Once he tried making a stop by the end boards and absolutely ate it so he took a header into the boards. He was also yapping with TJ Brennan after the whistle in a scrum. Skating looked quite poor in person.
Nothing positive to say?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There's nothing wrong with somebody who actually watched the game giving their honest opinion. Points only tell you so much.

It's nice to step out of the echo chamber from time to time. I haven't watched him play yet, but his skating was a point of contention.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Where would he fit though? Our forward group is crazy full as it is.

Sheary - Crosby - Guentzel
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - A #3C - Hagelin
Wilson - Sundqvist - Kuhnhackl
Rowney - Archibald

And then there's Sprong who while I do not think will make the team out of camp, should at least challenge for a spot.

Simply put, ZAR would have to be extremely good to have much of a chance to push someone out of the lineup. Realistically (like Sprong), he'll have to wait for the inevitable injuries to occur to get his chance.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Rust - A #3C - Hagelin
Rowney - Archibald

And then there's Sprong who while I do not think will make the team out of camp, should at least challenge for a spot.

Simply put, ZAR would have to be extremely good to have much of a chance to push someone out of the lineup. Realistically (like Sprong), he'll have to wait for the inevitable injuries to occur to get his chance.

Exactly. What a stupid decision by the guy. You'd expect better risk-reward analysis from someone who went to college for 4 years

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Yeah, he got the 5th point after I looked at the game sheet.

Well seeing how he's putting up a 1.66 PPG while playing on the top line in the AHL, I'm seriously questioning your analysis of him. He's a Hornqvist type of player, so he shouldn't be exactly wowing you with his skill.
What's a better judge of how he will turn out, a 3 game point sample or an analysis of his actually hockey traits?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Exactly. What a stupid decision by the guy. You'd expect better risk-reward analysis from someone who went to college for 4 years

The flip side of that, is he's seen Pittsburgh A) do a good job developing other young college players (Sheary, Guentzel, Archibald, Wilson, Rust), and B) actually giving those young players a chance. Pittsburgh just won the cup, and one of the key reasons why was our young depth.

Yeah, we went out and picked up a couple UFA Ds at the TD. However seeing that we've been playing our #9D 22 minutes game lately, that shouldn't really be a shock. But up front? It's been ALL young kids filling the gaps. Which means when you're getting a chance to play, some of your shifts, you're getting chances with Crosby, Malkin and Kessel as linemates. If anyone is going to help boost your numbers, and your game, it's going to be those 3.

Then there's the fact that Pittsburgh is still poised to be a contending team for the next 5 years or so (maybe even a little longer if we can keep picking up solid young depth players). Which means for someone like ZAR, he's going to get the chance to play for one of the best teams in the league - a team that's shown they're willing to give young guys a chance, and who's had success with those young guys that they've developed in their system. This isn't Washington who went out and acquired Winnik to be an expensive depth winger. We use our kids for that. And it's things like that (while still challenging for the Presidents trophy) that will keep attracting guys like ZAR.

Whether he pans out or not is a different story.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What's a better judge of how he will turn out, a 3 game point sample or an analysis of his actually hockey traits?

And you're qualified to give that analysis?

ZAR isn't going to be a skilled guy at any point. He's going to be a poor man's, bottom-6 version of Hornqvist most likely. The fact that he's productive instantly at the AHL level is very encouraging, despite how a Flyers fan think he looked.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Rust - A #3C - Hagelin
Rowney - Archibald

Hagelin would be traded so that frees up 2 spots.:sarcasm:

Seriously though, Hagelin could get traded for a 3C next season as we let Bones walk. Rust is cheaper and does the same thing, same speed too. Sprong comes in, ZAR can play the 4th line to start and work his way up i'd guess. Also injuries.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I always appreciate different first-hand takes and a 3 game sample size of production doesn't say much, but a single game viewing doesn't exactly constitute a definitive scouting report either.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

For one I think all pro athletes are supremely confident, perhaps over confident, in their abilities and feel like no amount of depth is insurmountable.

I also think ZAR probably looked at how a guy like Sheary was developed slowly but earned his way onto the top line, won a Stanley Cup, and is now about to get a big pay raise.

As opposed to signing with a team that would promise him a spot in the NHL right off the bat, but are perennial losers with a poor track record of development.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I expect Sundqvist to be a 3C and the Penguins to look to get some help defensively.

Sundqvists advanced stats are terrible, his usage shows that his coach doesn't even trust him in a 4C role.

Meanwhile, Rowney is getting difficult starts and has great advanced stats. His usage shows that his coach has much confidence in him.

I've heard every year that Sundqvist is going to be the Pens 3C/4C, when will the truth finally sink in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad