Confirmed Signing with Link: Penguins sign Zach Aston-Reese

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I, to be clear, in no way think Aston-Reese will approach anything like the success that Sheary's having (which was surprising to me, I never thought he'd be able to sustain his production like this). But Sheary is exactly why teams are willing to take flyers on undrafted free agents.

Hell, even if Aston-Reese never amounts to anything more than a 4th line grit guy or solid AHL/tweener call-up material, that's a steal for us.

To be honest, not a lot of us thought Sheary would be as good as he is either, most of the comments about Sheary before the playoffs last year was that he was another Gibbons and that's not even kidding, 98% of the board was on that sentiment. This year, we all collectively ate crow on Sheary and I am not ashamed of that. He's proof that those College kids can amount to something.

ZAR is going to be developed the right way, I hear his work ethic is solid and he's a hard working guy, he is already meeting the team 50% of the way with that, the other 50% is opportunity and development and the Pens are no slouches there.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
All the fans of other teams calling this kid a bust, AHL fodder, 4th liner etc do not grasp what this is about.

The Penguins signed a college free agent to an entry level contract. No risk. At worst, he plays minor league hockey and never makes it and the Penguins can bury the entire cap-hit in the AHL.

There is no difference between signing a guy like Auston-Reese or some player drafted in the 5th round except for the fact that Aston-Reese had more teams to choose from.

The Rangers signed Oksanen last year. If he helps out the AHL team, it's still worth it. Not every college free agent should be expected to be a top-6 forward.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Rangers signed Oksanen last year. If he helps out the AHL team, it's still worth it. Not every college free agent should be expected to be a top-6 forward.

I wanted Oksanen in the Penguins system for years when he was rockin it with Boston. I really enjoyed watching him. Was sad to see he was bouncing between the ECHL and the AHL.

ZAR is a zero risk, unknown reward signing. I think something the Penguins fans on HF are more (or just as) excited about is that ZAR spoke highly of the Penguins and that their youth development was a big draw. Agents said the Penguins are becoming a destination again for young talent due to it. Considering from 2005 to 2015 we had zero young talent development to speak of, THAT is more exciting than the actual signing IMHO.

Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I want Oksanen in the Penguins system for years when he was rockin it with Boston. I really enjoyed watching him. Was sad to see he was bouncing between the ECHL and the AHL.

ZAR is a zero reward, unknown reward signing. I think something the Penguins fans on HF are more (or just as) excited about is that ZAR spoke highly of the Penguins and that their youth development was a big draw. Agents said the Penguins are becoming a destination again for young talent due to it. Considering from 2005 to 2015 we had zero young talent development to speak of, THAT is more exciting than the actual signing IMHO.

Exactly! To expect ZAR to be NHL talent may be a long shot but the fact he views the Pens organization as offering a good/best opportunity is the plus.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Exactly! To expect ZAR to be NHL talent may be a long shot but the fact he views the Pens organization as offering a good/best opportunity is the plus.

The fact that they have tangible results in current players is tremendous moving forward.

If Zach can pull some NHL games, even as a call up, it would be huge for the development program.

Zach is a tree...and a potentially important tree...but I'm looking at the forest and I like what I'm seeing :)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The fact that they have tangible results in current players is tremendous moving forward.

If Zach can pull some NHL games, even as a call up, it would be huge for the development program.

Zach is a tree...and a potentially important tree...but I'm looking at the forest and I like what I'm seeing :)

What happens if there is a forest fire? :(

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Wasn't dressed for tonight's game in LV. Hopefully he's in the lineup tomorrow.

He just got into town last night.
Coaches said he won't play til Tuesday at the earliest.
They want to get him acclimated first.

The Penguins are also expecting the newly-signed Zach Aston-Reese to join the team this morning. However, it’s unlikely that he will see any action until this Tuesday’s game at Mohegan Sun Arena against the Hartford Wolf Pack.

“I think we’re just going to get a couple practices in (for him) before he plays in a game,” Taylor said of Aston-Reese, who led the NCAA in points and goals this season. “We want to see how he is and how he’s feeling. He just got done his season and (needs) to get acclimated.”

mgd525

May 18, 2007
What happens if there is a forest fire? :(

Half the forest burns down like the Pens current line up with injuries ? I'm happy the Pens got a semi promising FA. I really hope they can add a few college UFA D men.....The Pens defensive prospects are about as bad as you can get.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Half the forest burns down like the Pens current line up with injuries ? I'm happy the Pens got a semi promising FA. I really hope they can add a few college UFA D men.....The Pens defensive prospects are about as bad as you can get.

Then let's sign Healey, the guy who hits too much for his league. Then Vecchione, Ortega, Beauchemin (when Sprong jumps up to WBS). Hopefully within a few years we have another "wave" of kids coming and producing at the NHL level.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
He could be an important piece for the Pens sooner than later, really talented forward and the stats aren't empty by any means. This kid can play.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If they lose any more forwards it'll probably be sooner.

He's only on a ATO with WBS. He can't be recalled. I think they'd opt for an emergency call up of Sprong before ZAR. But there's a long list in front of them before they do either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad