Confirmed Signing with Link: Penguins sign Zach Aston-Reese

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Where would he fit though? Our forward group is crazy full as it is.

Sheary - Crosby - Guentzel
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - A #3C - Hagelin
Wilson - Sundqvist - Kuhnhackl
Rowney - Archibald

And then there's Sprong who while I do not think will make the team out of camp, should at least challenge for a spot.

Simply put, ZAR would have to be extremely good to have much of a chance to push someone out of the lineup. Realistically (like Sprong), he'll have to wait for the inevitable injuries to occur to get his chance.

Or just wait a week for three guys ahead of him to get hurt.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sundqvists advanced stats are terrible, his usage shows that his coach doesn't even trust him in a 4C role.

Meanwhile, Rowney is getting difficult starts and has great advanced stats. His usage shows that his coach has much confidence in him.

I've heard every year that Sundqvist is going to be the Pens 3C/4C, when will the truth finally sink in?

Every year? He's been in the system for less than 2 seasons. Also, Rowney is like 28 and has no upside.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR loves Sundqvist. He is a big center, strong on defense and has offensive skills that will show up next year. He fits a big need in the organization.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sundqvists advanced stats are terrible, his usage shows that his coach doesn't even trust him in a 4C role.

Meanwhile, Rowney is getting difficult starts and has great advanced stats. His usage shows that his coach has much confidence in him.

I've heard every year that Sundqvist is going to be the Pens 3C/4C, when will the truth finally sink in?

Every year? The kid just turned 23, and about all we've talked about with regards to him is that he has the potential to be a #3C. But that's still not going to happen next year. At best he'll be on the 4th line with Rowney, and maybe playing some C. Him developing into a #3C is still a year or more away if it ever happens.

Every year? He's been in the system for less than 2 seasons. Also, Rowney is like 28 and has no upside.

Meh, I couldn't care about his age. Rowney has shown that he can be a decent #4C, who can use his size and occasionally make some smart plays offensively, while being decent defensively and in the circle. The fact that he's 28 doesn't mean much. So he will likely never develop into a stud #3/quasi #2C. I'm still more than fine if he's a good cheap #4C. We get some years out of him until he's either too expensive or we have a better or cheaper option. Not a big deal.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
I always appreciate different first-hand takes and a 3 game sample size of production doesn't say much, but a single game viewing doesn't exactly constitute a definitive scouting report either.

And you're qualified to give that analysis?

ZAR isn't going to be a skilled guy at any point. He's going to be a poor man's, bottom-6 version of Hornqvist most likely. The fact that he's productive instantly at the AHL level is very encouraging, despite how a Flyers fan think he looked.

This.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

Rust - A #3C - Hagelin
Rowney - Archibald

And then there's Sprong who while I do not think will make the team out of camp, should at least challenge for a spot.

Simply put, ZAR would have to be extremely good to have much of a chance to push someone out of the lineup. Realistically (like Sprong), he'll have to wait for the inevitable injuries to occur to get his chance.

Well he could give one of the Hagelins a run for his money or did I miss something? :)
Kuhnhackl?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Well he could give one of the Hagelins a run for his money or did I miss something? :)
Kuhnhackl?

Guessing he meant Hornqvist at 3RW.

And yes, Kuhnhackl. As in Tom Kuhnhackl. Been a 4th liner for us last season, cup run, and all year.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Rust - A #3C - Hagelin
Rowney - Archibald

You have Hagelin twice.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He also has Guentzel and Sheary swapped, Sheary has been the RW on that line and ZAR just joined the AHL, I mean at this point it's just to see how he does there and will start in the AHL next year too unless we have some major injuries in camp and he suddenly finds himself in a spot.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
He also has Guentzel and Sheary swapped, Sheary has been the RW on that line and ZAR just joined the AHL, I mean at this point it's just to see how he does there and will start in the AHL next year too unless we have some major injuries in camp and he suddenly finds himself in a spot.

A little work on his strength and skating and he's good to go imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad