Penguins reduce their roster by 6 players

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd be the wrong guy to talk to about Uher because I would have released him two years ago.

i wasn't really "talking to you" about it so much as piggybacking off of your comment regarding Warsaw Pact and Exxon Valdez.

I've never been a fan of Uher, but I'm only judging people by what they've done this preseason and camp

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Any chance they release Lovejoy?

are you, Agent00, asking me, IcedCapp, if there's any chance the Penguins, a team seemingly more concerned with their PR and public image/perception than anything else, will release Ben Lovejoy less than 12 months after trading Simon Despres for him in a trade that was, on a national scale, ridiculed endlessly?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guarantee Pouliot comes up mid season

Yeah JR said he'll be up soon, he just need to gain confidence in WBS.

Also this made me happy:

Perron made the jump from playing in the Q in 06-07 to playing 62 games in the NHL in 07-08, and he had similar numbers to Sprong in his draft year (39 goals and 83 points in 70 games for Perron, 39 goals and 88 points in 68 games for Sprong) and wasn't a high pick either (he was a late 1st rounder). I'm not sure that giving him 9 games and then sending him back down to the Q is the best decision, keeping him up may be the smart thing to do.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
This is good news! Gonchar gone. Clandening and Sprong staying up. No complaints from me. Pouliot will make the big club when he gets his head out of his ass. Nice to see some obvious good decisions being made.

Are people really going to turn this thread into another QQ about Perron/Kunitz thread? Same usual suspects posting it in every thread too.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
are you, Agent00, asking me, IcedCapp, if there's any chance the Penguins, a team seemingly more concerned with their PR and public image/perception than anything else, will release Ben Lovejoy less than 12 months after trading Simon Despres for him in a trade that was, on a national scale, ridiculed endlessly?
they seem to have no problem playing a guy they just traded a first round pick for on the forth line.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

Scuderi-Lovejoy pairing it is then ;)

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Have wonder how much hinges on Sprong's nine games.

That would put it close to the time Fehr is expected back. If he does just OK, then it's easy to send him back to the Q to make room for Fehr. But if Sprong continues to play above expectations, it opens up some interesting possibilities.

I'm curious to to see how they use him in the line-up during games. Will he see some shifts with Geno and Plots? Will they try him on his off wing with Sid and Kessel? Or will they try him as Sid's RW and give Geno a few shifts with Kessel?

I'm starting to feel like Alice ... I've already thought of 10 impossible things before tea time :laugh:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If i see perron on the 4th line and kunitz on the 1st on opening night, im DONE with johnston he cant be like hurdle and not put out your best lineup. Coaches in this city make me sick

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Have wonder how much hinges on Sprong's nine games.

That would put it close to the time Fehr is expected back. If he does just OK, then it's easy to send him back to the Q to make room for Fehr. But if Sprong continues to play above expectations, it opens up some interesting possibilities.

I'm curious to to see how they use him in the line-up during games. Will he see some shifts with Geno and Plots? Will they try him on his off wing with Sid and Kessel? Or will they try him as Sid's RW and give Geno a few shifts with Kessel?

I'm starting to feel like Alice ... I've already thought of 10 impossible things before tea time :laugh:

Trading another young talent who deserved better for pennies on the dollar sounds more frightening than interesting to me.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd pair Clendening and Dumoulin just because Clendumoulin is fun to say. So basically, a more sensible reason than MJ has for doing anything.

Also, I think I'm the resident Uher apologist and I'm happy with his play this preseason. He played like he does down the stretch and in the playoffs in WBS, minus the bizarre jump in production.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
CQWKSEnUsAEVKTS.jpg

So they iced this lineup for the last preseason game, lost to the terrible Carolina Hurricanes only scoring one goal, and said "PERFECT!"

I think they should just decline to have a preseason since they make 95% of their roster decisions in August based on archival data.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm going to ignore the Scuderi, Dupuis, Kunitz, BB and Peron stuff for now and focus on some of the positives now that the roster is set.

- First, no Adams for the first time in five years. That in and of itself is a reason for me to smile. I literally wanted him to get painful diarrhea in the middle of a shift and felt insta-rage every time I saw him on the ice. He has ruined the #27 for me permanently and made me forget my fav player for the Pens once made that a proud number.

- Team speed was one of my concerns coming into the season, but Plotnikov can motor without the puck and Sprong is silly fast. If Sprong finds a way to stick, ironically the Pens could be one of the fastest teams in the league.

- Clendening was made out to be a guy who skated like his laces were tied together, but he impressed me and made the team. I'm not sure how he will hold up defensively, but his offensive talent is obvious.

- The fourth line is the island of the Pens misfit and mistreated toys, but the positive is they will finally have a skilled fourth line.

- Plotnikov really seems like he will bring that physical element the team needs.

- If Sprong sticks and the Pens don't do anything stupid, this is easily the best fwd depth they will have had in the Crosby era.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Trading another young talent who deserved better for pennies on the dollar sounds more frightening than interesting to me.

I also said that I'd thought of 10 impossible things ... don't ruin it for me, man :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
- If Sprong sticks and the Pens don't do anything stupid, this is easily the best fwd depth they will have had in the Crosby era.

In all honesty, even if they trade Perron for a defenseman, I'd still say that it's the best forward depth they've ever had. Dupuis-Bonino-Sprong and Cullen-Fehr-Bennett (or Fehr-Cullen-Bennett) is a crazy good bottom-6.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The question is which RW gets traded to make room for Sprong. Bennett or Perron? Somewhere the Ducks' GM perked up.

Ahahahahahaha, Pens.

The fact that we're doing this mere months after JR publicly admitted what a mistake he made in trading Despres for Lovejoy makes the Pens decision to bury skilled young forwards for the sake of another familiar, impotent veteran that much more delicious.

"We were dumb, but we never learn from our mistakes so deal with it."

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
In all honesty, even if they trade Perron for a defenseman, I'd still say that it's the best forward depth they've ever had. Dupuis-Bonino-Sprong and Cullen-Fehr-Bennett (or Fehr-Cullen-Bennett) is a crazy good bottom-6.

Perron on his own isn't likely to net us and actual upgrade on D, though. Who would we be targeting and what would we have to add? Maybe if he weren't UFA at the end of the season. As it stands, I just don't think he'll attract the sort of interest needed to be the centerpiece in getting a legit 2nd pairing D.

I wonder if they might not wind up swapping him for a similar player that's a lefty instead of a righty. Or a pick. When they should be moving Kunitz instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad