Penguins reduce their roster by 6 players

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
The Pittsburgh Penguins have reduced their roster by six players, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

Forwards Bryan Rust and Jean-Sebastien Dea and defenseman Derrick Pouliot have been assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Forward Kevin Porter and defenseman David Warsofsky have been placed on waivers. They will both be assigned to WBS provided they clear waivers on Sunday at noon.

Veteran defenseman Sergei Gonchar has been released from his professional tryout contract.

The moves leave the Penguins with 25 players on their roster, including injured forwards Eric Fehr and Tom Kuhnhackl.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781509

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Whelp some nice things there, but Scuds and Kunitz on the roster, and the Specter of Dupuis' health will overshadow his every shift for me all year long... moving in the right direction, though

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Looks like we're set to start the season. No complaints here. I just want to see Lovejoy waived, Kunitz traded for Tinordi and Johnston canned.

But I can live with this roster, for sure.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm guessing the Pens opening night roster will look something like:

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Bonino-Sprong
Perron-Cullen-Bennett

Cole-Letang
Maatta-Clendening/Scuderi
Dumoulin-Lovejoy

Fleury-Zatkoff

They're not going to keep Sprong up just to play him on the 4th line, they'll give him an actual chance to produce.

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
Looks like we're set to start the season. No complaints here. I just want to see Lovejoy waived, Kunitz traded for Tinordi and Johnston canned.

As much as it sickens me to say it, when the inevitable 2-3 defensive injuries happen to the Pens, we will be happy Lovejoy is still here. (currently throwing up)

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
I'm guessing the Pens opening night roster will look something like:

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Bonino-Sprong
Perron-Cullen-Bennett

Cole-Letang
Maatta-Clendening/Scuderi
Dumoulin-Lovejoy

Fleury-Zatkoff

They're not going to keep Sprong up just to play him on the 4th line, they'll give him an actual chance to produce.

That's a lot of offense.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Has Pouliot been that bad? Is he likely the first call up in case of injury?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
As much as it sickens me to say it, when the inevitable 2-3 defensive injuries happen to the Pens, we will be happy Lovejoy is still here. (currently throwing up)

Not really. He's no better than David Warsofsky, Niclas Andersen, Reid McNeill or Steve Oleksy at this point.

In other words, he's not an NHL defenseman. So whether we have him or an AHL call-up making less money won't make a lick of a difference.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Oh, is that all you want? :laugh:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Not really. He's no better than David Warsofsky, Niclas Andersen, Reid McNeill or Steve Oleksy at this point.

In other words, he's not an NHL defenseman. So whether we have him or an AHL call-up making less money won't make a lick of a difference.

Literally none of that is true.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
If Perron or Bennett are started on the 4th line, then one of them has to be trade for a dman.

Perron+Sundqvist+2nd for Buff?

Perron+3rd for Hamhuis?

Bennett for Gelinas?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany