Penguins reduce their roster by 6 players

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Wooooooooo Clendening Wooooooo! If he lines up next to Maata, I may just wet myself, ladies and Gentlemen.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
You could probably quibble about Erixon vs Warsofsky, but otherwise, it's tough to argue that the right 23 guys didn't make the hockey club.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Wow that guy has a good coaching future in store for him then. Hell, he could be the next todd reirden.

You think this is a first?

What was Jeff Beukeboom without Brian Leetch? What was Charlie Huddy without Paul Coffey? Who remembers Nolan Pratt? He won a Stanley Cup in 2004 with TB, but couldn't play anywhere else.

This is hardly a phenomenon. The fact is we don't need Lovejoy at all, and certainly not for $1.1 million when that roster spot could go to someone making $650,000 or whatever for similar (lack of) production.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You could probably quibble about Erixon vs Warsofsky, but otherwise, it's tough to argue that the right 23 guys didn't make the hockey club.

Agreed. I liked Warsofsky over Erixon based on what I saw, but not enough to make a big deal out of it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jason Mackey said Perron and Bennett will start on the 4th line most likely.

I'm ****ing done.

Yeah that's known at this point. Sprong is playing on Thursday (straight from JR), so Farnham will be a scratch and we'll likely see a similar lineup but with Bennett in for Farnham on Thursday.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Jason Mackey said Perron and Bennett will start on the 4th line most likely.

I'm ****ing done.

I'm inclined to think, as someone else pointed out, that there isn't really going to be a "4th line". At least not one resembling the traditional definition of a 4th line. Our lineup looks like it'll be arranged with more of a two 1st lines/two 3rd lines setup.

It still sucks because guys with Perron's skill set should be playing in the top 6 but it's probably not entirely accurate to call him a 4th liner at this point. Either way, it seems pretty clear that neither Bennett or Perron are in this team's long term plans. Then again, I'm not even convinced this team has long term plans. They kind of just do... stuff.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Then again, I'm not even convinced this team has long term plans. They kind of just do... stuff.

So true. The Despres trade and the Perron trade+his usage makes this clear.

Way to trade a first for a guy who'll walk after a year. They could've added a top 6 piece for years to come if they'd play him in the right freaking spot. But no, on the first line they play a corpse of a player who will provide nothing past this year and will not play a key part in ANY championship run.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
The only rational reason to keep Kunitz in the top 6 is to showcase him for a trade. Implicit in this line of reasoning, of course, is that this is the team's actual plan, rather than simply being infatuated with Kunitz.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Remember when they were using Despres to showcase Scuderi? They don't do rational things like that. Kunitz will continue his decline and then the Pens will panic next season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd split Bonino and Fehr up and roll two third lines. If they're willing to do split PP units, I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to do that. You ruffle more egos doing the former than the latter.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
On a positive note, at least Perron and Bennett have each other...literally. They could do really, really well together instead of one playing next to Dupuis.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
You know, I think I would like to see Sprong get a look with Crosby and Kessel. I think that could be a scary line if he clicks with them. Not to mention the lines could be:

Sprong - Crosby - Kessel
Plots - Malkin - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Bonino - Perron
Dupuis - Cullen - Bennett

Now that is just about the deepest, most balanced set of forward lines in the salary cap era. And when Fehr takes over the 4th line, it just gets even better. OR, if Sprong fits, when Fehr gets back, I would be ok with trading Perron, (provided we can find a team that wants him badly enough to take Scuds with him.) And filling his spot with Fehr/Bennett.

I know it will not happen, but I like the idea, a lot.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I've only had a very limited viewing of the team thus far, but I thought Uher looked like the 12/13

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Remember when they were using Despres to showcase Scuderi? They don't do rational things like that. Kunitz will continue his decline and then the Pens will panic next season.

They were using Scuderi to showcase Despres.

Rip in pepperonis Olli

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
You know, I think I would like to see Sprong get a look with Crosby and Kessel. I think that could be a scary line if he clicks with them. .

there are a lot of players I would of like to see given a chance to play with other players....but this was preseason and we couldn't do that.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Warsofsky played well, but I'd imagine his size and inability to stay healthy were a factor.

David Warsofsky strikes me as a "doesn't get claimed on waivers" kind of player. Erixon's probably more of a risk of not, even if Wasofsky ends up as something of a better player.

I've only had a very limited viewing of the team thus far, but I thought Uher looked like the 12/13

I'd be the wrong guy to talk to about Uher because I would have released him two years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad