Recalled/Assigned: Penguins recall Matt Murray , Connor Sheary , and Kevin Porter from WBS

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Porter is what he is; a nothing player who is an AHLer for life. He's not as bad as a lot of the guys we've had in the past, and isn't a real liability, but he's nothing special in any aspect of the game.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Could you tell me a little bit more about Porter? He doesn't seem to be too popular on the board..

He's not horrible. He's just your typical NHL/AHL tweener who won't contribute much or hurt you much. I'd rather see one of the WBS kids get some games.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Porter is one of those ho-hum 4th line grinders who fill roster spots.

not physical, no offense, can't PK, not fast

he won't play above the 4th line and with him on it the 4th line will look like a 4th line instead of a 3b line

the best thing that he will do imo is that he will force Sprong up to the top 9 for more playing time, hopefully with Malkin/Crosby

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
We have enough bottom six depth, Porter is redundant.

The organization must still have zero.faith in Sundqvist. I'm still waiting for him to be 2008-2010 Staal Jr.

Sheary in the preseason looked like your standard midget that won't make it in the nhl. Gotta chase that St. Louis unicorn I guess.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I'd like to think that Sheary is up to get an opportunity to play and show if he can handle the NHL. I'd like to think Porter is up as a safe vet in case of an emergency.

I'd also like to think that the might rotate guys like Wilson and Simon with Sheary if possible. In which case I like calling up Porter as a 13th forward, since it allows younger players to play regardless of whether they're in WBS or Pittsburgh, rather than sitting in the latter's press box for any stretch of time.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd like to think that Sheary is up to get an opportunity to play and show if he can handle the NHL. I'd like to think Porter is up as a safe vet in case of an emergency.

I'd also like to think that the might rotate guys like Wilson and Simon with Sheary if possible. In which case I like calling up Porter as a 13th forward, since it allows younger players to play regardless of whether they're in WBS or Pittsburgh, rather than sitting in the latter's press box for any stretch of time.

That's the vibe I get too. Play Sheary, keep Porter in the press box.

Of course, that theory could be blown to **** tomorrow.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
That's the vibe I get too. Play Sheary, keep Porter in the press box.

Of course, that theory could be blown to **** tomorrow.

It's possible. I thought Porter was fine earlier and in the recent past he would have been the third best player in the bottom six, roughly, so I'm okay with him on the ice in terms of the quality of the team. But I think it'd be a waste of Sheary to have him sit.

That said I do suspect that management thinks, to some extent, having young players up and practicing with the NHL team, even without playing in actual games, is good for their development. Maybe I'm just rationalizing how they handled Bennett, Despres, and others. I don't necessarily know that that philosophy is terribly wrong, though.

I really want to see Murray.

Me, too. We have the same last name so I have a certain interest in him being the goalie of the future :laugh:.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
So excited to see Murray's 1st game!

I am on record that Sheary will never be an NHL regular. Wish we could have seen Wilson, Simon, or Sundqvist given this opportunity as they are real prospects.

Porter makes a lot of sense as the 13th forward. Hopefully we don't see much of him outside the pressbox, but he's good for a game here and there when injuries surprise the team.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Porter was coming up anyway to be the healthy scratch 13th forward in the wake of Dupuis' essential retirement. Sheary is the Bennett injury replacement.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Ya people need to chill out about the Porter thing. I'd rather him be sitting as the 13th forward than simon or Wilson. Also Sheary deserves a cup of tea. He has been great for Wilkes Barre. They need to see what they have in him. He's only 22. They need to start seeing what some of these young players bring. Send him down if he sucks and bring up another guy.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm ok with Porter. It's for a 4th line fill in, who gives a ****? People ***** for the sake of *****ing these days.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Just got off shift. Can someone fill me in on why Murray was recalled? Not that I'm complaining but did something happen to MAF?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just got off shift. Can someone fill me in on why Murray was recalled? Not that I'm complaining but did something happen to MAF?

MAF went to the docs after last game and said he felt off.
He took a Kunitz elbow in practice on Sunday.
Theres video of it somewhere in the injury thread.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
MAF went to the docs after last game and said he felt off.
He took a Kunitz elbow in practice on Sunday.
Theres video of it somewhere in the injury thread.

Thanks for the update. I'll try to read more about it tomorrow but it was a long rough shift so I figured I would pop on here real quick to see who was being re-called for Beau. Off to bed now. Much appreciated guys!

Wes Mantooth

Jun 4, 2008
Richmond, VA
I hope they play Sheary. I went to a WBS game a couple weeks ago and he was the most noticeable player on the ice. He had a goal and assist and it seemed all WBS scoring chances involved him.

His size is my only concern but he can play. They showed his photo on the board for the goal he scored and my wife said he looked like he was still in junior high. But after almost every WBS scoring chance for the rest of the game she looked at me and said "that was that little boy again!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad