Recalled/Assigned: Penguins recall Matt Murray , Connor Sheary , and Kevin Porter from WBS

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
One thing to note about the call ups is there is a Christmas roster freeze that historically goes into effect Dec 19th-27th or thereabouts. I couldn't find any dates for this year's freeze, but that could be the reason for calling up Porter. You want a guy to sit in the press box and not hurt WBS or playing time of prospects, but also be there if the Pens have another injury during the roster freeze.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
One thing to note about the call ups is there is a Christmas roster freeze that historically goes into effect Dec 19th-27th or thereabouts. I couldn't find any dates for this year's freeze, but that could be the reason for calling up Porter. You want a guy to sit in the press box and not hurt WBS or playing time of prospects, but also be there if the Pens have another injury during the roster freeze.
I’d imagine there are exceptions for injuries though, no?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Going to take a wild guess and say Sheary's favorite team growing up was Boston (born in Massachusetts)? It must be surreal for him to play in the TD Garden. Maybe some family members will get to see him live as well? Happy Matt Murray got called up, he deserves it.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
What happened to Zlobin? Someone mentioned higher up that he 'dug his own grave'

I believe he's injured again. The Nailers put him on (injured?) reserve some weeks ago, he last played Nov 21. Before that he had 0 goals and 5 assists in 9 games with Wheeling. Hasn't been up with WBS at all this season. He's most likely done as a Pens prospect. His ELC expires next spring, and with Blueger and Lindo (and maybe Guentzel) incoming I doubt we re-sign Zlobin.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
If any of those guys had a strong training camp (i.e. Wilson, Sheary, Rust, et al), Sprong would be playing in Charlottetown right now.

That's not necessarily true. When Johnston was fired it was said that JR never really wanted to keep Sprong up but acquiesced in part because of a lack of faith in Charlottestown. They may well have rather had one of the others with the NHL team to start the season but the ease of sending them down combined with the non-starter of sending Sprong back to the Q influenced their decisions.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
That's not necessarily true. When Johnston was fired it was said that JR never really wanted to keep Sprong up but acquiesced in part because of a lack of faith in Charlottetown. They may well have rather had one of the others with the NHL team to start the season but the ease of sending them down combined with the non-starter of sending Sprong back to the Q influenced their decisions.

If those guys had outplayed Sprong, Rutherford and Sprong's agent would have orchestrated a QMJHL trade. Happens all the time.

Nobody stepped up to take that spot away from Sprong.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
You guys satisfied with Murray's play at the NHL level? He has looked good in my estimation. Any chance that Fleury moves on after this season and Murray becomes the guy next year?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You guys satisfied with Murray's play at the NHL level? He has looked good in my estimation. Any chance that Fleury moves on after this season and Murray becomes the guy next year?

Yes to the first question, no to the second.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

It's a small sample size, and recognizing he's a 21-year old making his NHL debut, I thought he's looked good overall. I thought he was understandably tentative when there was (rarely) traffic around the crease in his first game, but he looked really poised and positionally sound otherwise (except he might have been a little deep in the crease on the Wild's goal the other night).

No chance Fleury moves on after this season, and Murray will not be the guy next year with the big club.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Murray's been good in the very limited sample size. Composed, big in the net, awesome fundamentals.

He'll finish the year in the AHL, I'm sure. Next year he'll likely be the backup, and hopefully afford Fleury a solid 25-30 games off. The year after that, assuming Murray continues his ridiculous progression curve and looked great in his 25-30 games as backup, then I think you start to entertain the idea of moving Fleury.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Murray's been good in the very limited sample size. Composed, big in the net, awesome fundamentals.

He'll finish the year in the AHL, I'm sure. Next year he'll likely be the backup, and hopefully afford Fleury a solid 25-30 games off. The year after that, assuming Murray continues his ridiculous progression curve and looked great in his 25-30 games as backup, then I think you start to entertain the idea of moving Fleury.

The difficult in moving Fleury is that the no-trade and no-movement clauses in his contract give him all the leverage. He'd have to be willing to leave, and I assume there are only a few scenarios where that'd fly for him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Murray has looked solid (and I mean that as a huge compliment) but we're a few years out from trading Fleury and it's the Pens so they won't do that. Seeing how far Murray comes in that time is going to be the interesting part and key to the decision. If he only becomes an average starter or can't handle a large workload in the NHL, Fleury definitely won't be traded. Unless Murray becomes the better goalie in that window it's moot.

The difficult in moving Fleury is that the no-trade and no-movement clauses in his contract give him all the leverage. He'd have to be willing to leave, and I assume there are only a few scenarios where that'd fly for him.

Pretty sure it's a limited NTC so he doesn't have unlimited power.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Murray has looked solid (and I mean that as a huge compliment) but we're a few years out from trading Fleury and it's the Pens so they won't do that. Seeing how far Murray comes in that time is going to be the interesting part and key to the decision. If he only becomes an average starter or can't handle a large workload in the NHL, Fleury definitely won't be traded. Unless Murray becomes the better goalie in that window it's moot.

Pretty sure it's a limited NTC so he doesn't have unlimited power.

It is a limited NTC - he has to name 8 teams he would accept a trade to, which may as well be a full NTC because it'd be pretty easy be for him to name 8 teams that would have little to no interest.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why on Earth would anyone want to move MAF? He's a guy I feel would really love to be in a mentor role and happily be a guy that fades into a back-up role as it would be his natural regression when he no longer is able to play as much and be relied on as a heavy work load #1 goaltender, in 2yrs time. Which is exactly reasonable for a kid like Murray to get enough time to really take over the reigns as the #1. Ideally I would want to see MAF play 10 less games next year and Murray take on a back-up work load + those 10, then it slowly increasing into a Roloson/Fernandez amount of games of Wild goalie duo fame.

Moving him just seems moronic, this year or even next, regardless of how amazing Murray or Jarry play. And I am very impressed with Murray each time I read about him or see him play, that kid is going to be a #1 in the NHL, not an if anymore, it's a matter of when.

Next year, I fully expect Murray to earn that back-up job and if he continues to be as fantastic as he has been...a game split of this going forward.

2016-17
MAF - 50
Murray - 32

2017-18
MAF - 45
Murray - 37

2018-19
Fleury - 42 (final year, age 34, can sign a short 2yr contract to be a back-up/mentor and I would be a happy guy to see him retire with the Pens at the end of those 2yrs)
Murray - 40 (turns 24 in 2018, heads into playoffs as a 25yr old, should be a legit #1 by then)

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

There is no reason to rush Murray at all. Allow Fleury to play out his contract.

The one way to get him to way any NMC or NTC is just not to play him. If he's not playing, he will want out.

Murray plays a game well beyond his age. I personally think we may have one of the next great ones waiting in the wings.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Why on Earth would anyone want to move MAF? He's a guy I feel would really love to be in a mentor role and happily be a guy that fades into a back-up role as it would be his natural regression when he no longer is able to play as much and be relied on as a heavy work load #1 goaltender, in 2yrs time. Which is exactly reasonable for a kid like Murray to get enough time to really take over the reigns as the #1. Ideally I would want to see MAF play 10 less games next year and Murray take on a back-up work load + those 10, then it slowly increasing into a Roloson/Fernandez amount of games of Wild goalie duo fame.

Moving him just seems moronic, this year or even next, regardless of how amazing Murray or Jarry play. And I am very impressed with Murray each time I read about him or see him play, that kid is going to be a #1 in the NHL, not an if anymore, it's a matter of when.

Next year, I fully expect Murray to earn that back-up job and if he continues to be as fantastic as he has been...a game split of this going forward.

2016-17
MAF - 50
Murray - 32

2017-18
MAF - 45
Murray - 37

2018-19
Fleury - 42 (final year, age 34, can sign a short 2yr contract to be a back-up/mentor and I would be a happy guy to see him retire with the Pens at the end of those 2yrs)
Murray - 40 (turns 24 in 2018, heads into playoffs as a 25yr old, should be a legit #1 by then)

I have been sitting here thinking - when was the last time a successful team platooned goaltenders? I think if we're decreasing Fleury's workload because Murray is handling the job, we're much better off getting Fleury's salary off the books and getting something for him. Assets and cap room will be more beneficial to us at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad