Recalled/Assigned: Penguins Recall Kuhnhackl, Rust and send down Wilson, Sheary

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Come somebody / anybody please tell me how Sundqvist is doing this year? The Pens need bottom-6 help, I'd think that's right up his alley. But maybe he's a total bust?

He's doing well from what I have seen. He looks like that 3rd line center in the Jordan Staal mold. That real big, skating upright center that plays big. Not afraid to use his size. He is good defensively and has good hands. Smart, north-south player, that has good board work, and good vision. Can finish a check. I really like him.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This team doesn't give anyone under the age of 27 a chance to PK.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Feel like they convinced themselves that Sundqvist needs a year in the minors no matter what.

Plotnikov could probably benefit from switching places right now. I hope he sticks around and finds his game. He and Sundqvist could be a pain.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Feel like they convinced themselves that Sundqvist needs a year in the minors no matter what.

Plotnikov could probably benefit from switching places right now. I hope he sticks around and finds his game. He and Sundqvist could be a pain.

I'm convinced that they make a majority of their roster decisions in July and stick to them as much as possible.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I had high hopes for Kuhn and he's now getting a chance to play when most of us thought he was a lost cause not so long ago.

I guess the lack of LW options isn't too bad when kids get a shot. Really hoping to see him unleash that bomb of a shot of his.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

w/Fehr at RW--tough line

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I had high hopes for Kuhn and he's now getting a chance to play when most of us thought he was a lost cause not so long ago.

I guess the lack of LW options isn't too bad when kids get a shot. Really hoping to see him unleash that bomb of a shot of his.

Does he get any pp time for wb/s? I'm curious if he's net front or somewhere else. Seems like his shot would be great for one timers off the wall. I'm not even sure if he gets to use his shot or not tbh since I don't get to watch any wb/s games.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Well new humans in a Pens jersey! I like that Kühnhackl get a shot, he seem completely lost just a couple of seasons ago. Sheary got some good time in the top lines, so now he can go back to WBS and work on his game, I don't think we have seen the last of him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Does he get any pp time for wb/s? I'm curious if he's net front or somewhere else. Seems like his shot would be great for one timers off the wall. I'm not even sure if he gets to use his shot or not tbh since I don't get to watch any wb/s games.

I don't think he's quick enough for the point, but he could be a killer on the right side half wall that Sid usually resides and doesn't do much in that vicinity anymore. It wouldn't kill the Pens to switch a few things around and use him for that trigger of his.

Put Sid behind the net, Kuhn on the right half wall, Geno umbrella slot, Kessel left side wall, Letang keeping the puck in and finding the open man.

That leaves a 2nd unit of - Perron, Hornqvist, Bonino, Maatta, and Daley.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well new humans in a Pens jersey! I like that Kühnhackl get a shot, he seem completely lost just a couple of seasons ago. Sheary got some good time in the top lines, so now he can go back to WBS and work on his game, I don't think we have seen the last of him.

Kind of glad Kuhnhackl stuck around and kept working on things, I was really hoping he would turn into an NHL'er some day, even a taste of a call-up but he had a rough few years and that wasn't going to happen, glad things changed.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
It seems that JR's comment regarding Pouliot (we'll call him up when it is unlikely we have to send him back down again) also apply to the other more promising prospects (goalies being an exception out of necessity). The more unknown prospects are being given chances to show what they got at an NHL level. I hope they continue giving players several games to show off their skills, even if that means hysteric posts on this board.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
Plotnikov can terminate his contract if he's sent down to WBS, so the team would need to convince him that would be best in the long run.

Sadly, he looks like a player that was decent when playing with confidence but just has none right now. Might be best to just move on after this season. Even if he finds his game, he won't be anything irreplaceable.

I'm excited to see Kuhn, but he's not going to be on PP1 and probably not even PP2.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Plotnikov can terminate his contract if he's sent down to WBS, so the team would need to convince him that would be best in the long run.

Sadly, he looks like a player that was decent when playing with confidence but just has none right now. Might be best to just move on after this season. Even if he finds his game, he won't be anything irreplaceable.

I'm excited to see Kuhn, but he's not going to be on PP1 and probably not even PP2.

We're probably seeing his game right in front of us, he's probably just not a particularly good NHL player. Oh well. Worth a try.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I like it. With these AHL guys, they seem to give a boost in their first few games and then as the adrenaline wears off, they don’t contribute much. Keep swapping them like this until one of them does something to show they deserve to stay.

I’m intrigued to see Kuhnhackl. At least he’s a bigger body than guys like Sheary, Wilson, Rust, etc.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
This moves sounds like show casing them as a potential toss in for a trade. No reason Dominik Simon shouldnt have been one of these recalls

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
This moves sounds like show casing them as a potential toss in for a trade. No reason Dominik Simon shouldnt have been one of these recalls

Simon and Pooh were selected for the AHL All-Star weekend at the end of the month. Maybe that has something to do with it ... let them have the experience, then call them up after. GMJR has said when they bring Pooh up, they want to make it permanent, maybe they feel the same about Simon.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I can tell ya this, the absolute best thing that could happen for ol Plots right now is a goal. That is a heavy weight he's carrying.

If I'm Sullivan I give him a little PP time. Especially if we get a late powerplay and we're up, send him out for 1:30 of it. Tell him to shoot shoot shoot and tell everyone to feed him. Tell Sid, Geno, Letang, and Kessel/Horny/Kunitz whoever, to get this guy a goal.

Once that burden is lifting, you can move on from it. Every hockey player at every level knows that feeling of "haven't scored in awhile". Not fun to play with.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Simon and Pooh were selected for the AHL All-Star weekend at the end of the month. Maybe that has something to do with it ... let them have the experience, then call them up after. GMJR has said when they bring Pooh up, they want to make it permanent, maybe they feel the same about Simon.

Great point. Very possible that is their thought process

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm curious to see how Simon would do in the NHL, I know he's not really all that filled out (what is he like 165-170lbs?) but if he can handle the AHL (not really a bunch of skinny wimpy kids down there) he should be able to handle some of the rough stuff in the NHL.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I can tell ya this, the absolute best thing that could happen for ol Plots right now is a goal. That is a heavy weight he's carrying.

If I'm Sullivan I give him a little PP time. Especially if we get a late powerplay and we're up, send him out for 1:30 of it. Tell him to shoot shoot shoot and tell everyone to feed him. Tell Sid, Geno, Letang, and Kessel/Horny/Kunitz whoever, to get this guy a goal.

Once that burden is lifting, you can move on from it. Every hockey player at every level knows that feeling of "haven't scored in awhile". Not fun to play with.

If im Sullivan im strapping him to a chair clockwork orange style and making him watch what Komarov is doing right now while giving him a diet of nothing but red bull and cocaine

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Plotnikov is already ruined. Confidence is huge and when you **** around with a player like he's been ****ed around with, it'll take a lot for him to be effective. Being scratched, playing 7 minutes, not really being rewarded in any way...it sucks. Sort of like Niederreiter when he was with the Isles. I'm not saying you have to coddle him and call him a delicate flower but wow when you play him like he doesn't belong there its natural that he'll start to play like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad