Recalled/Assigned: Penguins Recall Kuhnhackl, Rust and send down Wilson, Sheary

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
After watching Kuhn a few times, he's definitely changed his game. He's great on the cycle, his lines always seem to possess the puck well. Not so much of the offensive threat we predicted but his size allows him to be effective.

I want to see him succeed so bad. I've liked him ever since we drafted him. Now only if porter gets sent down..

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I've been pulling for Kuhn. Hopefully he gets a good look up with the big guys.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Come somebody / anybody please tell me how Sundqvist is doing this year? The Pens need bottom-6 help, I'd think that's right up his alley. But maybe he's a total bust?

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Come somebody / anybody please tell me how Sundqvist is doing this year? The Pens need bottom-6 help, I'd think that's right up his alley. But maybe he's a total bust?

Definitely interested in this info. Maybe I read somewhere he's staying down no matter what this year?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Definitely interested in this info. Maybe I read somewhere he's staying down this year no matter what this year?
All of my info stems from going to like 5 games split between last year and this year, so I am by no means an expert. But that's more than most people which is why I give some input. Anyway, that being said, take what I say for what it's worth.

From what I saw of Sundqvist, he probably isn't any more ready than anyone else we've called up (except Porter). He plays a super simple game though, which might allow him to have some success. Good along the wall, and when he's not there he parks himself in front of the net. Everything else was good but nothing that made me think he shouldn't spend another day in the AHL.

He was a center when I saw him, so maybe that's why he's still stuck down there. We do have Fehr, Cullen and Bonino who can play in the bottom 6.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Hopefully Kuhn impresses. Rust is a dime a dozen player from what I've seen.

Porter is definitely the new Adams. And he's practically getting 3rd line minutes. That only makes it more aggravating.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I was super excited about Kuhn when we drafted him. Hasn't panned out anything like people thought, but there's still a small chance he could be an effective bottom-6 guy. I'm intrigued to see how he plays, if he isn't perma-scratched.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Khun I kind of get it, as it's his first time with the big boys... but what's the reason for calling up Rust again?

lucasjb

Oct 23, 2014
I don't mind that Sheary and Wilson got reasonably long looks, surely it's better for a player to be told: "Hey we're giving you one month to show us what you've got" rather than sending a guy down after one or two bad games. So Sullivan brought up Sheary to try as a scoring option with Crosby and with Malkin - it hasn't really worked, so I suppose now MS will promote a regular NHL roster guy up into the top six (or make room for Bennett) and bring in grinders from the AHL to take their place. All seems pretty reasonable to me.

It makes sense that Sprong was sent back to the Q shortly after Sullivan arrived too. MS had seen some of Sprong but he would have told JR he wants to see some of his WBS guys too - it fits in with the "Let's see what else we've got" approach. Whereas MJ was more "Let's see what we've already seen". It's promising for the future I think.

The Kevin Porter thing, I don't really get it. He Kills Penalties?

Looking forward to seeing Kuhnhackl.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't mind that Sheary and Wilson got reasonably long looks, surely it's better for a player to be told: "Hey we're giving you one month to show us what you've got" rather than sending a guy down after one or two bad games. So Sullivan brought up Sheary to try as a scoring option with Crosby and with Malkin - it hasn't really worked, so I suppose now MS will promote a regular NHL roster guy up into the top six (or make room for Bennett) and bring in grinders from the AHL to take their place. All seems pretty reasonable to me.

It makes sense that Sprong was sent back to the Q shortly after Sullivan arrived too. MS had seen some of Sprong but he would have told JR he wants to see some of his WBS guys too - it fits in with the "Let's see what else we've got" approach. Whereas MJ was more "Let's see what we've already seen". It's promising for the future I think.

The Kevin Porter thing, I don't really get it. He Kills Penalties?

Looking forward to seeing Kuhnhackl.
I dont get the kevin porter thing either. MS has lost his mind.....playing porter waay too much,

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
The variety of NHL call-ups is lacking to say the least. Kuhnhackl is a new face. Rust is your typical non-impactful bland bottom-six forward.

Management seems keen on keeping Sundqvist and Simon in WBS, which I am perfectly fine with.

Penguinzilla*

I like. Sheary blows. I like Wilson only because he hits people, other than that he's no good. Rust is blah. But I like giving Kuhnhackl a chance, he's got sumpin' that could work.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Don't think Kuhnhackl has what it takes to be a regular NHLer but it's more about capitalizing on that initial call-up adrenaline while also giving some guys some looks to prove themselves, particularly with Kuhnhackl whose time within this organization may be running out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad