Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Beau Bennett (1 year, $800k)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And Jiggy said it best. Let Beau prove his worth but give him a shot if he deserves it. Instead, we will get the same ole **** w/ vets.

If we did have legit free open spots to the best players in camp, the team would be better for it.

If BB doesn't earn a top mine spot out of camp I'll be fine with him getting fourth line duty. However, we all know it's a two dog race for that fourth line spot.

Team always gets hurt anyway so whatever. A spot will open up, except we have to hope BB is healthy when it happens.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
So he actually has potential to be a legit NHL scoring line guy?

No idea. I don't hate his game like I did with Gibbons, for whatever that's worth.

But if he's on a fourth line in the NHL, there's always going to be somebody that does more with those minutes. To use Lapierre as an example, Laps will barely score (like almost all guys playing fourth line minutes) while winning a decent amount of faceoffs and making people mad. Sheary will merely produce a tiny bit more than Laps' nothing in that sort of usage, in a best case scenario, while not winning faceoffs at the same clip.

You may as well leave him in the minors to see how he develops unless you're going to put him on a third line (which would require an injury to one of our top 9 guys plus injuries to Bennett and, possibly even Sundqvist, before there would be a job opening on line 3). Guy like Sheary has a better chance of learning something playing 22 minutes a night in the AHL than he does playing 6 minutes a night in the NHL. Especially on the PP. AHL and NHL will be the difference between playing 5 minutes a night on the WBS PP vs 0 minutes a year in the NHL.

If he has a monster second half in Wilkes-Barre, that calculus changes.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
finally someone expressed all the things i didn't have words for

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Let him be a regular in the AHL before penciling him in at the NHL level.

He wasn't 'penciling' him in. He didn't say he should be given a spot, he said he should be part of the group battling for one.

While your point that he should get some more time in the AHL before taking the next step is completely fair, I could see the transition being a fairly quick one for him. He doesn't really need to put on more size and he'd be the fastest player on our roster.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
At the end of last season, Pens general manager Jim Rutherford said the 6-foot-2, 195-pound winger needed to get stronger. To achieve that, Bennett changed both his training and nutrition regimens. He now drives a decent distance in order to work with a guy named Matt O’Hara, whom he said has been “awesome.â€

“He knows what it takes to rehab injuries and guard against future injuries, so he’s been working with me a lot and we work out six days a week,†Bennett said. “Even something small as it takes me an hour to get there every day, it’s kind of making that sacrifice, going to a place I know is going to help me in the long run and it’s been a great summer so far. Adding in the nutrition part was a big thing this summer as well.â€

For that, Bennett did a lot of testing at the beginning of the summer and figured out what he needed to gain in skeletal muscle mass in order to have functional strength – where he wants “to feel like I’m 190, but playing at 200.†A lot of that comes from leg strength, which has been Bennett’s biggest focus this summer.

Bennett was then was given a meal plan based off his goals, and while he admits the food isn’t always the tastiest, he just gets it down for the good of his body.

“Now I’m way more in tune with what I need to do for preparation and how to make my body feel right,†he said. “It’s been a really positive summer in terms of how to be a pro.â€
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=774966

He's a good kid. I always thought it was weird that for an organization that cares so much about the marketability of their players that they haven't tried to embrace him more.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
If Bennett's healthy and training hard, then that might be all it takes to make $800K look like a bargain. He's shown major flashes in this league.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So many haters for a kid that when healthy, has shown us the promise we had hoped for, but has run into some bad luck.

But I digress, only "poor guy" is saved for the likes of Malkin, Letang, Kessel, and Crosby.

****ing place sometimes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Let him be a regular in the AHL before penciling him in at the NHL level.

Reading comprehension goes a long way around here.

Just some solid advice that will prevent more odd posts like the one you just threw at me.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I maintain that if he's fortunate enough to stay healthy and is given a good long look at right wing with skilled players he's a legit top 6 option. Unfortunate that he's behind Horny and Kessel, but he has all the skills and has been dogged with injuries and poor usage his entire time here.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
LOL
Thats vid is hilarious.
Girl was probably drugged out of her gord, expressing her deepest, darkest feelings for one Beau Bennett.

Will be forwarding that on to the Pens so they may one day meet.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=774966

He's a good kid. I always thought it was weird that for an organization that cares so much about the marketability of their players that they haven't tried to embrace him more.

I think it was the year the Rangers came back and won the series from the Pens where Bennett was in the line-up with Crosby, he came down the right side and just took a half snap and scored on Lundqvist, he also uses his body but the strength wasn't there.

The skill he has, the vision, with the added strength which will also help his confidence, the kid is worth keeping around. People can throw their arms up at him being around all they want, he has some time now, he can develop and be a damn solid 3rd line winger that blossoms into more. The Pens have their top 6, he's now a big part of making that bottom 6 something to be feared with scoring and possession.

I liked him with Sutter, but on the left side. So I am not sure how that is going to work.

I would be fine with this scenario (likely one I think)...

Kunitz, Crosby, Kessel
Perron, Malkin, Hornqvist
Bennett, Sutter, Plotnikov
Farnham, Sundqvist, Dupuis - I wish.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Good. Building up strength and taking conditioning and nutrition seriously is a good first step. He sounds more mature than last year, too.
He just needs to stay healthy and play with confidence in his abilities and his body. He certainly won't be gifted top 6 minutes but he'll get his chance once the injuries hit (if he himself is healthy then).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Good. Building up strength and taking conditioning and nutrition seriously is a good first step. He sounds more mature than last year, too.
He just needs to stay healthy and play with confidence in his abilities and his body. He certainly won't be gifted top 6 minutes but he'll get his chance once the injuries hit (if he himself is healthy then).

Absolute best case scenario - He starts with Sutter, plays well, pushes Perron out and JR makes a trade at the deadline to get a 1st from someone for Perron and possibly a solid prospect or maybe a Defenseman this team can use and Beau is in the top 6, healthy and producing.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Absolute best case scenario - He starts with Sutter, plays well, pushes Perron out and JR makes a trade at the deadline to get a 1st from someone for Perron and possibly a solid prospect or maybe a Defenseman this team can use and Beau is in the top 6, healthy and producing.

I don't know if that's a best case scenario. Quite the contrary, actually. Getting rid of Perron in favor of Bennett would be a terrible decision, no matter how he plays until the deadline.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I think the best case scenario is Bennett eventually figures it out on the left side enough to be a mainstay with Malkin and Kessel (or Malkin and Hornqvist, whoever). The competition on that side is Kunitz (who might be on his way out) and Plotnikov (who may or may not translate), so it may be the most doable place to stick.

Bennett showed hints of working well with Malkin on that side in the lockout season, when he was first called up and Bylsma was literally throwing whatever **** he could on that 2LW. He was the best of every LW played there, but of course he got injured and never made it back.

Worst case scenario is he does nothing on the third line, does nothing on the fourth line, and then gets sold off for nothing. I think the worst case scenario is more likely, but I also think something in the middle could be good. I honestly pity anyone trying to up their offensive production with Sutter as their center, but if he finds a niche there he could become a good option to play with whoever's going to replace (and hopefully improve upon) Sutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad