Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Beau Bennett (1 year, $800k)

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Playing Sheary on the 4th line would be a waste. Let him play on WBS' first line and call him up if there's an injury in the top 9.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Playing Sheary on the 4th line would be a waste. Let him play on WBS' first line and call him up if there's an injury in the top 9.

why? Can someone please tell me why talented players cannot play on a 4th line with other relatively talented players. We aren't lining these guys up next to Lappierre and Adams. Its pretty clear that Sundqvist and one of Bennett, Dupuis or Plotnikov will be on our 4th line barring more moves.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
One of the things I desperately want the team to do is come up with some sort of concrete plan that makes sense as to where to put Beau. He's not a 4th liner and his style of play simply doesn't work there.

The problem is that even with someone taking there remaining Top 6 spot (my guess is Plotnikov at first, but who knows?), that still leaves three guys left for 2 slots among Kunitz, Dupuis, and Bennett, and the loyalty to senior leadership being what it is, things don't look so great for BB unless someone gets moved.

It's not so much loyalty from management more so than it is those guys being better and more deserving of those spots. BB's made his bed over the past couple years.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's not so much loyalty from management more so than it is those guys being better and more deserving of those spots. BB's made his bed over the past couple years.

with his injuries, you're right. He hasn't forced anybody's hand certainly.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
It's only a waste if we play our 4th line 6 minutes a night. If you're going Sheary-Sundqvist-Bennett, give those guys 10+ minutes a night. I feel like there's a ton of merit to rolling 4 lines throughout the season, such as keeping your top guys fresh and less likely to sustain an injury.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's only a waste if we play our 4th line 6 minutes a night. If you're going Sheary-Sundqvist-Bennett, give those guys 10+ minutes a night. I feel like there's a ton of merit to rolling 4 lines throughout the season, such as keeping your top guys fresh and less likely to sustain an injury.

Completely agreed.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
I feel like people underrate his defensive play. If he has to, I think he can definitely play a bottom 6 role with the right linemates.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I feel like people underrate his defensive play. If he has to, I think he can definitely play a bottom 6 role with the right linemates.

Completely agreed with this too. He's not some sort of Selke candidate, but he's solid enough on the walls and on D.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sheary is absolutely not ready for the NHL and I'm not sure why people are penciling him. His stats are good but let's give him a little more time.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

His development would benefit more from first line, top power play time in WBS than 10 minutes at best in the NHL.

He's only had one, somewhat abbreviated season as a pro, no reason to rush things with him.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Completely agreed with this too. He's not some sort of Selke candidate, but he's solid enough on the walls and on D.

He's good at playing D in transition and in space. He has the ability to anticipate plays better than most so he can force turnovers in the offensive and neutral zone.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sheary is absolutely not ready for the NHL and I'm not sure why people are penciling him. His stats are good but let's give him a little more time.

I've never seen these kids play if it wasn't with the big pens. I've just seem people including him in the list of kids who are fighting for the 4th line spot.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It amuses me that Bennett's offering public explanations for numerous problems half the people on this board have spent two years swearing up and down that he never had.

Hope he's right and that this isn't just wishful thinking on his part. He needs to be a totally different player than he's been for the last two seasons if he wants his NHL dream to continue. That hourglass is running out of sand fast.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
why? Can someone please tell me why talented players cannot play on a 4th line with other relatively talented players. We aren't lining these guys up next to Lappierre and Adams. Its pretty clear that Sundqvist and one of Bennett, Dupuis or Plotnikov will be on our 4th line barring more moves.

Because more ice time in offensive situations is better for his development.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
And it's funny how the media never gave the kid a break, especially DK with "Let's play a game and isolate on Bennett" even though he was wearing two knee braces, while Lovejoy was given every excuse in creation because he had to play 3 extra shifts a period and the poor guy was exhausted.

displacedpensfan

Dec 23, 2008

Yeah, Kunitz was REALLY setting the world on fire with the last half of the season last year....

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
It amuses me that Bennett's offering public explanations for numerous problems half the people on this board have spent two years swearing up and down that he never had.

Hope he's right and that this isn't just wishful thinking on his part. He needs to be a totally different player than he's been for the last two seasons if he wants his NHL dream to continue. That hourglass is running out of sand fast.

Explain.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It would be kind of nice if spots were given out to start the season based on how guys perform during camp and the pre season. Not based on vet status and cap hits.

Let Dupuis, Plotnikov, Kunitz and BB battle it out for the three top nine spots available and the loser gets fourth line minutes.

I know Kunitz and Dupuis are penciled in for top nine duty, but they should have to earn those spots like anyone else in Sept.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've never seen these kids play if it wasn't with the big pens. I've just seem people including him in the list of kids who are fighting for the 4th line spot.

Rust, Mac and Wilson would be much better candidates. I think Mac and Rust should battle it out for the last spot, but I have a feeling the org likes Wilson more than Mac at the moment.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

For us or for Sheary?

For Sheary, he won't get experience working a powerplay, won't get much ice time or opportunity to sort out what works and what doesn't against pro D and pro goaltenders. NHL coaches aren't about to let fourth liners take chances that end up in their net. Even the Islanders' fourth line, which is leaned on heavily, doesn't take a ton of risks.

For us, we're flatlining Sheary into what he is right now and he won't really get enough ice time to score a meaningful amount more goals than Bobby Farnham--a guy who makes the best of his 7 minutes per night for other reasons.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And Jiggy said it best. Let Beau prove his worth but give him a shot if he deserves it. Instead, we will get the same ole **** w/ vets.

If we did have legit free open spots to the best players in camp, the team would be better for it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For us or for Sheary?

For Sheary, he won't get experience working a powerplay, won't get much ice time or opportunity to sort out what works and what doesn't against pro D and pro goaltenders. NHL coaches aren't about to let fourth liners take chances that end up in their net. Even the Islanders' fourth line, which is leaned on heavily, doesn't take a ton of risks.

For us, we're flatlining Sheary into what he is right now and he won't really get enough ice time to score a meaningful amount more goals than Bobby Farnham--a guy who makes the best of his 7 minutes per night for other reasons.

So he actually has potential to be a legit NHL scoring line guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad