Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Beau Bennett (1 year, $800k)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't care about his production so much as him staying healthy and getting into the good graces of the coaching staff. If he can produce decent numbers for a 3rd/4th liner and earn their trust, we're in a good spot with him moving forward.

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
Good to know he's trying

Jason Mackey ‏@Mackey_Trib 2m2 minutes ago
Just got off the phone with Beau Bennett, who's been working on knee flexibility and adding about 10 pounds of good weight for next season.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Beau Bennett turning into a valuable top 9 player would mean so much for this team going forward. Here's hoping he can stay healthy.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't think a young player such as yourself should be devoting so much time to internet message boards. If I was you I would training every day to get myself in shape.

:sarcasm:

No. no, no. Training = Injury Bennett has to use Kessel as his inspiration, hotdogs and couches for the off season.

But really, BB needs to stay healthy, build up his confidence and get out of the doghouse. Good luck with that, but at least the contract is fair and good enough.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Very happy with that number, hope he busts out.

I still like the idea of a Bennett-Malkin-Plotnikov line, with the latter filling a poor man's James Neal role with a better complementary game. But I could handle Bennett on the third or even fourth line if we add someone like a Semin on the cheap or something like that.

I still BO-lieve in Beau Bennett.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
What do people expect points wise for him? Let's just say he plays 82 games with Sutter and Kunitz, maybe through in a few games with Sid/Geno. My guess would be 19/29.
With Sutter and not-last-year-bad Kunitz? I'd say something like 15-35. Maybe more like 10-30. The 15 may not be likely, but he'd tally at least 30 assists no problem. He has unreal vision and passing.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I still like the idea of a Bennett-Malkin-Plotnikov line, with the latter filling a poor man's James Neal role with a better complementary game. But I could handle Bennett on the third or even fourth line if we add someone like a Semin on the cheap or something like that.

No... that pushes one of Horny, Kessel, or Perron to the third line, and that's not what's best for business (to continue your wrestling references).

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Good to know he's trying

Jason Mackey ‏@Mackey_Trib 2m2 minutes ago
Just got off the phone with Beau Bennett, who's been working on knee flexibility and adding about 10 pounds of good weight for next season.

So.....he hyper-extends his knees, tearing ligaments in the process and has to wear 10lbs worth of casts/braces?

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
Jason Mackey ‏@Mackey_Trib 10m10 minutes ago
Bennett: "When you’re playing healthy and not hindered by wearing braces on your knees, wrist or thumb, it helps to play even at 90%."

Jason Mackey ‏@Mackey_Trib 6m6 minutes ago
Bennett: "My body was preventing me from getting to the right places. I want to be able to take over and do the things I know I can do."

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
No... that pushes one of Horny, Kessel, or Perron to the third line, and that's not what's best for business (to continue your wrestling references).

Perron will end up on Line 3 anyway, maybe. Plus if Bennett is playing with Malkin then Dupuis is on Line 4 or Kunitz is off the team potentially.

That too would be best for business.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
What do people expect points wise for him? Let's just say he plays 82 games with Sutter and Kunitz, maybe through in a few games with Sid/Geno. My guess would be 19/29.

5-15-20. I think that's a realistic expectation from what he's provided so far in his career. It's what I expect from him, so anything more will leave me pleasantly surprised. He has the potential for 25-25, but so far, it's just been wasted potential.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jason Mackey ‏@Mackey_Trib 10m10 minutes ago
Bennett: "When you’re playing healthy and not hindered by wearing braces on your knees, wrist or thumb, it helps to play even at 90%."

Jason Mackey ‏@Mackey_Trib 6m6 minutes ago
Bennett: "My body was preventing me from getting to the right places. I want to be able to take over and do the things I know I can do."

Dear hockey gods,

Please let this year be the year that Bennett stays healthy. Have mercy.

Sincerely,
HF Pens

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Man, Talk about someone that needs to KILL it at training camp.

he just needs to stay healthy. He killed it last year at training camp. Nothing he does in training camp is going to matter until he shows he can continue doing it for several months at a time. Nobody should doubt that he CAN play effective hockey, the question is whether he actually will.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Perron will end up on Line 3 anyway, maybe. Plus if Bennett is playing with Malkin then Dupuis is on Line 4 or Kunitz is off the team potentially.

That too would be best for business.

Dupuis, Kunitz, and Perron are all better players than BB.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
One year and $800k too much.

Agreed.

I like BB, wanted him to succeed, but that won't happen here.

He won't be put in a position to get points IF he manages to stay healthy. And for a player like Bennett it is all about the production.

Bummed they didn't move him honestly (I assume there were no takers).

I don't care about his production so much as him staying healthy and getting into the good graces of the coaching staff. If he can produce decent numbers for a 3rd/4th liner and earn their trust, we're in a good spot with him moving forward.

If by "decent" numbers you mean 15-20 points then I think that can be achieved.

displacedpensfan

Dec 23, 2008
A plan for BB

One of the things I desperately want the team to do is come up with some sort of concrete plan that makes sense as to where to put Beau. He's not a 4th liner and his style of play simply doesn't work there.

The problem is that even with someone taking there remaining Top 6 spot (my guess is Plotnikov at first, but who knows?), that still leaves three guys left for 2 slots among Kunitz, Dupuis, and Bennett, and the loyalty to senior leadership being what it is, things don't look so great for BB unless someone gets moved.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm hoping we start the year with a Sheary-Sundqvist-Bennett 4th line.

One of the things I desperately want the team to do is come up with some sort of concrete plan that makes sense as to where to put Beau. He's not a 4th liner and his style of play simply doesn't work there.

The problem is that even with someone taking there remaining Top 6 spot (my guess is Plotnikov at first, but who knows?), that still leaves three guys left for 2 slots among Kunitz, Dupuis, and Bennett, and the loyalty to senior leadership being what it is, things don't look so great for BB unless someone gets moved.

There's no reason you can't have talented players on a 4th line. I think we've been brainwashed by watching scrubs like Adams and Glass for so long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad