Penguins Off-Day Thread

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Sullivan really is a stubborn SOB.

Removes Rakell from Sid's line after the entire team shits the bed against Philly despite that line dominating multiple games prior to that, but then doesn't switch back after the team shits the bed against the Oilers where NONE of the lines looked good.

I can't even deal with this shit. It's beyond stupid at this point.
I don't necessarily agree with the move, but I do see some logic to Rust/Rakell.

Rakell has largely played well regardless of linemates. Rust is really slumping. Geno is slumping 5-on-5.

So teaming a consistently productive Rakell with Geno could theoretically get Geno going. And putting Rust with familiar linemates Guentzel and Crosby could get him out of his slump.

I would have kept Rakell with Sid and tried to find another way of getting Geno and Rust going, but I at least see the logic.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well at least Heinen back on L2 should help their zone time.

But trying to get Rust going at the cost of 3 players being less effective is insane to me.

And like someone mentioned earlier, us having a weak opponent tomorrow may skew perceptions as to what works.

It's a shame though. GCRack worked brilliantly and I feel like Heinen-Malkin-Rust could be solid when Rust decides to start playing better. HMR had respectable analytics...which is a rare thing for a Malkin line. Just was lacking some finishing. Heinen's been scoring lately too. He's streaky.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well at least Heinen back on L2 should help their zone time.

But trying to get Rust going at the cost of 3 players being less effective is insane to me.

And like someone mentioned earlier, us having a weak opponent tomorrow may skew perceptions as to what works.

It's a shame though. GCRack worked brilliantly and I feel like Heinen-Malkin-Rust could be solid when Rust decides to start playing better. HMR had respectable analytics...which is a rare thing for a Malkin line. Just was lacking some finishing. Heinen's been scoring lately too. He's streaky.
Weak opponent tomorrow who will, I guarantee, beat us to pucks all over the ice and probably win lol…

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Caps are tanking for Florida…Isles up 2-0…we have to hope the Pens lose tomorrow and the Rangers are resting so many that they want to lose even more badly than the Caps lol

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Caps are tanking for Florida…Isles up 2-0…we have to hope the Pens lose tomorrow and the Rangers are resting so many that they want to lose even more badly than the Caps lol
Their 50g scorer is out. They're not "tanking" for the best team in the NHL. :laugh:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Their 50g scorer is out. They're not "tanking" for the best team in the NHL. :laugh:
Many people think Florida is a better matchup to play in the playoffs because of their defense and goaltending than the Rangers…I’m not the only one lol…go look at the Around the NHL thread…

Reactions: Victor Z

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Many people think Florida is a better matchup to play in the playoffs because of their defense and goaltending than the Rangers…I’m not the only one lol…go look at the Around the NHL thread…

Rangers have had some significant injuries. Sounds like most will be healthy for the playoffs, but I dunno. Should be interesting.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rangers have had some significant injuries. Sounds like most will be healthy for the playoffs, but I dunno. Should be interesting.
Two injuries that are apparently minor,,.doubtful it impacts anything…we have Jarry and Zucker and those are significant…

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I know the Rangers have owned us but Florida has too. Probably better for us to draw the weaker team.

Reactions: ncm7772

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
As I’ve said the one good thing about the Rangers is they didn’t necessarily outplay us this year in the series, we just looked like shit.

The issue is we’ve looked like shit for two months now.
Yeah apart from the one game every other game was close and could have gone either way. We're certainly good enough to beat them if we play well. Giant sized if, but yeah.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
As I’ve said the one good thing about the Rangers is they didn’t necessarily outplay us this year in the series, we just looked like shit.

The issue is we’ve looked like shit for two months now.
They for certain outplayed us. We fared much better in terms of on ice effort and eye test vs Florida.

Reactions: Andy99

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Well the Caps are getting demolished by the Isles so all we need is a point to play the Rags.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Kreider has made a deal with the devil. Rags will kill us. I'd prefer Bobrovsky and the fun of playing the Panthers. At least the scoring should be entertaining, and who knows, maybe our core may decide this is not the day to lose as a decided underdog.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Going down to the wire I say…
Do you play for the win to build some sort of “feel good” atmosphere and going into the playoffs on a positive note?

Do you purposely lose so you play the perceived easier team?

It’s like Washington wanted us to have to make the choice :/.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Do you play for the win to build some sort of “feel good” atmosphere and going into the playoffs on a positive note?

Not really because we could lose and the Caps lose and things would stay status quo…BJs will play harder than the Rags…it’s the Rangers who have the choice…if they want to play us, then beat the Caps, and if not, then lose and hope we lose

I feel like we have no chance to beat the Rangers and I give us maybe a 30% chance of beating the Panthers…beating the top seed will motivate the Pens

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

Florida has 14 points advantage over nyr, not sure they’re a perceived easier team

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Not really because we could lose and the Caps lose and things would stay status quo…BJs will play harder than the Rags…it’s the Rangers who have the choice…if they want to play us, then beat the Caps, and if not, then lose and hope we lose

I feel like we have no chance to beat the Rangers and I give us maybe a 30% chance of beating the Panthers…beating the top seed will motivate the Pens

Valid point, Rangers have the choice. .

Florida has 14 points advantage over nyr, not sure they’re a perceived easier team

Based on regular season it seems we’ll have an easier time against the Panthers. Their last stretch of wins hides their mediocre record against playoff teams of late.

However it seems it is more than likely we’ll face the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad