Rumor: Penguins have offers for one of their goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
You assume that GMs will fall back to free UFAs which I dont think is the case. Yeah there are a lot of UFA goalies available but that doesnt mean Murray isnt the preference. The longer it goes on the more quality UFA get snatched up. That will be better for the Pens and Murray.
Is there enough chairs for all the available UFA goalies though even? I mean if your option is to pay Murray 5M and you can end up with maybe a easier fit for about 2-3M less for a 1B, maybe just a straight backup, for no assets. How many teams are even desperate for a starter? Minnesota now maybe? Virtually every interested team has a 1B they maybe don’t mind riding.

The whole goaltending parade is going to be odd to see how it shakes out.

Edmonton for example, who apparently was interested at one time but Rutherford wanted the 14th, has said they plan to go the FA route now, per Holland’s presser today

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Is there enough chairs for all the available UFA goalies though even? I mean if your option is to pay Murray 5M and you can end up with maybe a easier fit for about 2-3M less for a 1B, maybe just a straight backup. How many teams are even desperate for a starter? Minnesota now maybe? Virtually every interested team has a 1B they maybe don’t mind riding.

The whole goaltending parade is going to be odd to see how it shakes out.

Edmonton for example, who apparently was interested at one time but Rutherford wanted the 14th, has said they plan to go the FA route now, per Holland’s presser today

Minnesota is going after MAF from Vegas and the G from arizona. They are looking for 1-2 year Goalie only

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
According to the Pittsburgh sports jock Mark Madden (who does have some sources but isn't completely legit), Chicago was offering Murray the same contract as Lehner, but Murray's ask was $7 million a year for 7 years. On one hand, that's an absurd ask for Murray after he had as bad of a year as he has last year. But on the other hand, why does Chicago think that contract would fly with Murray?

I feel like Chicago has been really cheap with their goalie situation, which is why they didn't re-sign Lehner and appear to not be re-signing Crawford.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
According to the Pittsburgh sports jock Mark Madden (who does have some sources but isn't completely legit), Chicago was offering Murray the same contract as Lehner, but Murray's ask was $7 million a year for 7 years. On one hand, that's an absurd ask for Murray after he had as bad of a year as he has last year. But on the other hand, why does Chicago think that contract would fly with Murray?

I feel like Chicago has been really cheap with their goalie situation, which is why they didn't re-sign Lehner and appear to not be re-signing Crawford.

Mark Madden also claimed Jack Johnson wasn't a problem the past 2 years, and thinks Tristen Jarry is a French Canadian, despite being from just outside Vancouver which is not in Quebec.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Pre covid Lehner made it known he was not going to take a discount or even sacrifice $$$ for longer term. It was only after the flat cap was announced and he was already traded that he did a 180 on his previous stance and wanted to just secure more term and lower the AAV.

Why does Murray think he should get more than $5 million when he has only been a 1A/1B goalie that still needs another goalie to share the load with him and play 30+ GP? The most GP he had for any season is only 50 games. Thats a pretty low end work load for a goalie who is wanting to be paid like an every day starter..

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Friedman: “I had heard that if this Murray Chicago trade went through, it wasn’t going to be a huge return for Pittsburgh.”

~12:05 —> https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/big-show/elliotte-friedman-devan-dubnyk-dealt-sharks-ekman-larssons-future-nhl-draft/

Yeah, I'm starting to think that Murray's return will end up pretty similar to the Lehner trade at the deadline. Late 2nd and some meh prospect or a backup goalie.

Shit market to sell a goalie, but it's not like Murray's making it easy for the Penguins. It sounds like JR isn't expecting a deal to be made until after free agency starts.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Actually billy is said to have major interest in MM. We knowna western conference team has offered a forst round pick and oys NOT an alberta team

False; this is blatant lie. There's a million articles out there you can read and this is an exxageration. You can read articles including today where Russo no longer puts Matt Murray on the list like he did before.

You can listen to podcasts where russo reported that Guerin isnt interested in Matt Murray. You can read articles where russo was going for Tristan Jarry @ trade deadline and not Matt Murray.

This is also a blatant lie because Guerin didn't offer the 9th pick or any 1st round pick.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Pre covid Lehner made it known he was not going to take a discount or even sacrifice $$$ for longer term. It was only after the flat cap was announced and he was already traded that he did a 180 on his previous stance and wanted to just secure more term and lower the AAV.

Why does Murray think he should get more than $5 million when he has only been a 1A/1B goalie that still needs another goalie to share the load with him and play 30+ GP? The most GP he had for any season is only 50 games. Thats a pretty low end work load for a goalie who is wanting to be paid like an every day starter..
Lehner was going to be a UFA so he needed a long term deal this off-season. Also he was already familiar with Vegas so it’s easier to choose.

Murray isn’t a UFA for another year so might feel like he can hold out for a better deal. I’m not sure why he would believe much better offers are coming this or next off-season but Chicago goalies also get shelled so maybe that played a part.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lehner was going to be a UFA so he needed a long term deal this off-season. Also he was already familiar with Vegas so it’s easier to choose.

Murray isn’t a UFA for another year so might feel like he can hold out for a better deal. I’m not sure why he would believe much better offers are coming this or next off-season but Chicago goalies also get shelled so maybe that played a part.

If Murray has a strong year this year, I think he gets a big contract next off-season. A 27 year old starter with 2 cups coming off a strong year? I think he'll get big offers in free agency next year, if he decides to go that route.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If Murray has a strong year this year, I think he gets a big contract next off-season. A 27 year old starter with 2 cups coming off a strong year? I think he'll get big offers in free agency next year, if he decides to go that route.
He can have a strong bounce back year but the NHL profits wise will still be completely F-ed up because of this season and the flat cap will still be the same so deals will be affected.

Well, whatever Murray’s plan, hopes or dreams are, he’s not a UFA so he doesn’t have a long term deal he doesn’t like now. (Pittsburgh must be thrilled.)

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Thread limit, if people feel the need for another thread feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille