Rumor: Penguins have offers for one of their goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think I am. Since coming to Pittsburgh Pettersson has been one of the most hit d-men in the league. Someone may have to go and look at the numbers, but I have a feeling that he takes a lot less hits with Jarry in net.

Also when the team knows that the goalie can move the puck, it takes a lot of pressure off of the forwards, so they don't over back check and leave the trailer open.

Over the long haul, the amount that that affects how well the defense as a whole plays in front of your goalies is not dramatic. But none of this really is making a good case for Murray's value.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Over the long haul, the amount that that affects how well the defense as a whole plays in front of your goalies is not dramatic. But none of this really is making a good case for Murray's value.
I think having Karlsson and Burns in front of Murray would make a huge difference. I agree that the Sharks would have to find a way out of Jones first.

I still think Calgary or Carolina would be better options for Murray because they have fairly deep defense and good puck movers as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't buy the theory that Jarry's numbers are better than Murray's because of Johnson. If you look at the analytics for Murray vs Jarry, the Penguins were better defensively in front of Murray, not Jarry. I think what explains it a lot more is that Murray just had a shit year and Jarry had a great year, we don't need to do mental gymnastics to blame JJ or anything else.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think having Karlsson and Burns in front of Murray would make a huge difference. I agree that the Sharks would have to find a way out of Jones first.

I still think Calgary or Carolina would be better options for Murray because they have fairly deep defense and good puck movers as well.

I hope it's the case that Calgary or Carolina end up with Murray because even if the Sharks got out from under Jones' contract, I wouldn't want to pay the price to take a chance on Murray. I don't see Murray or Jones being all that much different in how effective they'd be in net for the Sharks.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I hope it's the case that Calgary or Carolina end up with Murray because even if the Sharks got out from under Jones' contract, I wouldn't want to pay the price to take a chance on Murray. I don't see Murray or Jones being all that much different in how effective they'd be in net for the Sharks.
Murray screams Jones 2.0 to me personally.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't buy the theory that Jarry's numbers are better than Murray's because of Johnson. If you look at the analytics for Murray vs Jarry, the Penguins were better defensively in front of Murray, not Jarry. I think what explains it a lot more is that Murray just had a shit year and Jarry had a great year, we don't need to do mental gymnastics to blame JJ or anything else.
Last half of last season MM was playing like a top 5 goalie IIRC? first half was a different story.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

Edison

Dec 1, 2017
Freddy Andersen landed late first and second round picks. And that was after two good seasons. So i think Murrays value will be about same.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Freddy Andersen landed late first and second round picks. And that was after two good seasons. So i think Murrays value will be about same.

How when Murray is not coming off two good seasons? He's coming off a crap season and a good one before that with a meh playoff performance. Andersen came off a good season with a great playoff performance though it was brief.

Reactions: themelkman

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How when Murray is not coming off two good seasons? He's coming off a crap season and a good one before that with a meh playoff performance. Andersen came off a good season with a great playoff performance though it was brief.

How was Murray's playoff performance this past season meh? Binnington won the Cup last year with very similar numbers. Wasn't Murray's fault Pittsburgh couldn't score on Price.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
mostly like wont get the 14oa but lets not be disingenuous.

he hs a career .914 sv percentage. .921 in the playoffs. Won two cups. And maybe just as important as the rest, Will only be 26 next season.

one bad year aint chasing people away from that resume.

You’re dreaming if you don’t think this season affected his value. Nobody is paying a premium for a guy with those numbers.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How was Murray's playoff performance this past season meh? Binnington won the Cup last year with very similar numbers. Wasn't Murray's fault Pittsburgh couldn't score on Price.

The meh playoff performance was in reference to the series against the Islanders. He started terribly then and turned it around to be solid even though the team was outmatched. This year he was great in one game, solid in one game, and crap in another. Murray was inconsistent while having a bad season. I don't see how comparing him to Andersen is going to set expectations properly for what will be the return. The Murray that played against the Islanders could be one that you win a Cup with if you believe he would actually be that way throughout an entire playoff run but nothing about his past season should let you believe he would.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am not convinced Toronto and Pittsburg are done with each other Toronto might need a. Goalie, I suppose they could keep Amdersen, but if they don't I could still see Murray in Toronto.

I don't know if Pittsburg needs LD but Toronto has an excess of LD

I could see Dermott+ for Murray

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I have a feeling his value isn’t all that great personally. Not necessarily because of him, but the goalie market seems to be flooded. Teams have options.

I'd make 2 rebuttals to this:

1. Some teams can't sign UFAs easily, whether that being due to players not wanting to go there or not being able to dish out big contracts in free agency. For example, I don't think say Edmonton can sign Lehner.
2. I think the FA options are being overrated while Murray is being underrated. I think Lehner is better, Markstrom is about equal and everyone else is worse than Murray. Not only that, but Murray is at least 3 years younger than any other option.

I think point 2 is the bigger point, people are overrating guys like Crawford, Holtby, Khudobin and Greiss while underrating Murray and ignoring the big age difference. Holtby is about 5 years older than Murray and the other 3 are nearly 10 years older. To me, I would definitely rather sign Lehner over trading for Murray, and I might want to sign Markstrom over trading for Murray. No one else is more attractive than trading for Murray IMO, especially considering he's not going to cost a fortune to acquire.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd make 2 rebuttals to this:

1. Some teams can't sign UFAs easily, whether that being due to players not wanting to go there or not being able to dish out big contracts in free agency. For example, I don't think say Edmonton can sign Lehner.
2. I think the FA options are being overrated while Murray is being underrated. I think Lehner is better, Markstrom is about equal and everyone else is worse than Murray. Not only that, but Murray is at least 3 years younger than any other option.

Markstrom today is orders of magnitude better than Murray, who’s been average or worse two of the last three seasons.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Markstrom today is orders of magnitude better than Murray, who’s been average or worse two of the last three seasons.

No he's not, you're overrating the shit out of Markstrom (or underrating the shit out of Murray). That is an absurd claim.

Murray from 2017-2019: 99 games with a .913 save%
Markstrom from 2017-2019: 120 games with a .912 save%

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I am not convinced Toronto and Pittsburg are done with each other Toronto might need a. Goalie, I suppose they could keep Amdersen, but if they don't I could still see Murray in Toronto.

I don't know if Pittsburg needs LD but Toronto has an excess of LD

I could see Dermott+ for Murray
Nope ... its an alberta team that has made an offer... leaked yesterday... Larsson was going other way..could change but that was yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad