• A GM by Monday

Votes: 13 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The silence is deafening
FSG basically pulled a Dubas and overplayed their cards. Ironic. Now we might end up with Greenberg, I mean Greenway I mean, Greenfield I mean, or I meant Greeley, who not one poster here heard of until two weeks ago, but we are now cool with him.

If we can’t land Tulsky, Darche or Dubas, FSG pooed their pants. I really hope they are finalizing a contract right now and not starting from scratch.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
FSG basically pulled a Dubas and overplayed their cards. Ironic. Now we might end up with Greenberg, I mean Greenway I mean, Greenfield I mean, or I meant Greeley, who not one poster here heard of until two weeks ago, but we are now cool with him.

If we can’t land Tulsky, Darche or Dubas, FSG pooed their pants. I really hope they are finalizing a contract right now and not starting from scratch.
Darche would be my top pick. I waS hoping Dubas would come with him. But Darche Imo would be the best pick. And the pick with less drama.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's not really much in that LeBrun interview. It's just that whatever Dubas decides will be a really difficult decision and the Penguins are keeping in touch with the other candidates they've interviewed. LeBrun also mentioned the Penguins job isn't super attractive and it's a question of whether Dubas may not want to set himself up in that kind of situation going forward.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There's not really much in that LeBrun interview. It's just that whatever Dubas decides will be a really difficult decision and the Penguins are keeping in touch with the other candidates they've interviewed. LeBrun also mentioned the Penguins job isn't super attractive and it's a question of whether Dubas may not want to set himself up in that kind of situation going forward.

Nonsense. It's a tops job. Because of scarcity. Or something.

Reactions: Pens x

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nonsense. It's a tops job. Because of scarcity. Or something.

That was actually another point LeBrun made. There is still an anxiety there that's basically "will I get another call?" that a lot of potential GMs have as well. The Penguins GM job isn't super attractive relative to other GM jobs, but there are still only 32 GMs in hockey.

What it comes down to is that no one knows what Dubas actually wants. We know FSG desperately wants him, we just don't know what Dubas wants. Does Dubas want to take a year off? Does Dubas want to wait for a more attractive position to open up? Does Dubas want to wait out the Ottawa situation? Does Dubas feel comfortable moving his family to Pittsburgh? There are just a lot of questions that no one except for Dubas knows. Hell, it's entirely possible that Dubas doesn't even know.

I hope FSG gets to the point where they say "we can't wait any longer" and just moves on from Dubas if he can't decide. But until that happens, we're just in a waiting pattern until Dubas makes up his mind.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think it's kinda funny that everyone solemnly nodded when it was said that Hextall was walking into a hell of a mess when he took over. Then we all did again when Hextall was fired and everyone said he wasn't cut out for the work and probably left them in as bad or worse a situation.

But now suddenly the job is very desirable.

I feel like I'm missing something, here. That said...

That was actually another point LeBrun made. There is still an anxiety there that's basically "will I get another call?" that a lot of potential GMs have as well. The Penguins GM job isn't super attractive relative to other GM jobs, but there are still only 32 GMs in hockey.

...I also agree with this. I don't know how wise it would be for Dubas to bide his time until the exact situation he wants comes around. His name is on everyone's tongue, now. Who knows about later.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I think it's really important to acknowledge that everyone involved in this negotiation are people too. Think about it from your own perspective, let's say you just got let go from a really stressful job and you've saved up enough money to take some time off. But right after you get laid off, you get a new job offer that's a big raise but is a bit worse of a position than what you had and they require you to start immediately and move across the country. Would you say yes to that? I don't think I would.

I wouldn't criticize Dubas whatsoever if he decides to say no to the job, nor would I think it's a reflection on the Penguins as a team for him to say no. If this drags out too long, I think it's on FSG for not moving on faster.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Friedman said the Pens were very close to announcing a GM before Dubas was fired. Kind of wish the Leafs would’ve just waited a couple more days to fire him at this point lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I think it's really important to acknowledge that everyone involved in this negotiation are people too. Think about it from your own perspective, let's say you just got let go from a really stressful job and you've saved up enough money to take some time off. But right after you get laid off, you get a new job offer that's a big raise but is a bit worse of a position than what you had and they require you to start immediately and move across the country. Would you say yes to that? I don't think I would.

I wouldn't criticize Dubas whatsoever if he decides to say no to the job, nor would I think it's a reflection on the Penguins as a team for him to say no. If this drags out too long, I think it's on FSG for not moving on faster.

Exactly. Everyone is focusing on the money and pretige aspect of the position. "Well there's only 32 of them!" Terrific. I'm fairly confident a guy like Dubas will be making millions regardless of what he chooses and in what field and on top of that has many more years to make those millions. That goes for most of these guys.

Has nobody ever turned down a better paying and more prestigious position because it was more stressful, required major life changes and had the potential to really f*** you over?

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Lebrun said nothing that isn't common knowledge, The Pens GM job is not looked at as a good job because Stars are in their mid 30's & the system is pretty much barren because of trading their picks & young players to try to win Stanley Cups

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Reactions: Shady Machine

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not looked at as a good job.. yet everybody interviewed, which was a way wider and more exciting pool than Philly, Calgary and Toronto's search included, wanted it. All GM jobs are good jobs, the question is how much work will it be to do this one and what are you willing to pay me for it.

Reactions: Josey Wales

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

“Move across the country.”

Toronto is like 300 miles from Pittsburgh. You guys act like he’s moving from Vancouver to Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad