GDT: Penguins @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
DeBoer was brought here to win. He was here to bolster his repertoire and make himself as a coach look better. He prioritized playing the guys that would win him games over the young kids that we need to develop.

Hynes has been playing the kids even if they've been liabilities at times. Under DeBoer, Kapla wouldn't have seen the ice after that second goal. Wood would've been in the AHL at some point.

I have no problem with how Hynes has handled the youth, aside from the scratching of Merrill for a few games in a row. That wasn't needed and Lovejoy should be firmly entrenched in the Cammalleri territory, where he is also not exempt from healthy scratches, like what we did to Cammalleri before his recent injury. Both guys have 2 years left on their deal after this.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Less than I've liked but he hasn't exactly had the pieces here to do much. There's not much to judge him on, because I'm not sure Shero's judging him on wins and losses.

I think the bigger emphasis is on how they're developing the kids and I'll admit I have mixed feelings about that.

IDC about wins or loses, I am more looking at the lack of structure this team has and how clueless some of the young guys look. That is on the coaching staff.

Then why am I drunk for pointing it out? I don't think you knew you're just insulting people and be an Internet tough guy. Was that first goal his fault. That pass across to Kane. That behind the look pass by Crosby. The team defense is a bigger problem then Schneider.

You go through these long winded reasons as to why the goal happened and make excuses for Schneider not coming up with the save or trying to take most of the blame off of him. I swear you watch different game than most people here.

Who is acting like an internet tough guy aside from you just now with the beer muscles bs and now the internet tough guy comment hahaha?

Schneider is an issue, he has shown he makes horrible reads and gets back doored way too much and he barely reacts to it or falls on his ass when he goes to push across the crease. Aside from tonight (after being back doored twice) I can't remember the last time he made a save pushing across the crease to stop it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can one of these boneheads ask Hynes why Cory wasn't pulled in the 2nd?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Outside of some odd shot choices on the PP, I actually think Cami has been pretty decent the past couple games. He's probably the second most intelligent offensive player on the team. He can actually anticipate guys getting open and lead them with passes instead of having to wait until they actually are open to pass the puck. I just wish he was stronger. He gets knocked off the puck way too easily.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'd give him a D or D- on the season. I might have given him a D+, if he didn't do some of these braindead things like play Lovejoy the way he does and refuse to mercy pull the goalies after getting destroyed inside of 25 minutes. This isn't the first time he's done this all year. I don't think Cory got pulled once before the new calendar year. Kinkaid got lit up against Washington (the first time he got lit up by them) and Hynes let him take one, or about 5 or 6 for the team.

Depending on what mood I'm in on Monday, I give him a D or a D- on the season. The only reason I don't give him an F is because his elite goalie hasn't been elite this year. And that is undoubtedly making us worse than we otherwise could be. Not the difference between a playoff spot and bottom 4 in the league obviously, but it's making Hynes look a little bit worse. If both goalies were around .920 this year and we were nearly as bad, Hynes would get a solid F grade from me.

But see, you're judging him off of not pulling Schneider in a game that means absolutely nothing.

You're judging him off of playing guys like Fiddler, Kalinin, etc. when the alternatives aren't any better. Guess who the alternative to Fiddler, Kalinin, and DSP is? Coleman, Pietila, and Rooney all of which you've complained about. Complaining about playing Lovejoy when the alternative is Severson or Santini who is still in his rookie year as a professional player.

No I don't like all the decisions he makes, but it's not like he has much to choose from. I'm not going to get all irate because he's using a veteran RD instead of a rookie on the PK or against top competition.

And in before the benching Zacha/Merrill/Severson, it happens to every young kid. They get benched, they learn, and they get another shot. Playing Prout over Merrill one or two games isn't the end of the world. It seems like all these little things are blown out of proportion into something they're not.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
But see, you're judging him off of not pulling Schneider in a game that means absolutely nothing.

You're judging him off of playing guys like Fiddler, Kalinin, etc. when the alternatives aren't any better. Guess who the alternative to Fiddler, Kalinin, and DSP is? Coleman, Pietila, and Rooney all of which you've complained about. Complaining about playing Lovejoy when the alternative is Severson or Santini who is still in his rookie year as a professional player.

No I don't like all the decisions he makes, but it's not like he has much to choose from.

And in before the benching Zacha/Merrill/Severson, it happens to every young kid. They get benched, they learn, and they get another shot. Playing Prout over Merrill one or two games isn't the end of the world. It seems like all these little things are blown out of proportion into something they're not.

Santini as a rookie and Severson even with his mistakes are still better options than a 32 year old veteran who is really trash.

And what are they going to learn from a coach who seemingly has no clue what he is doing up in the NHL?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Santini as a rookie and Severson even with his mistakes are still better options than a 32 year old veteran who is really trash.

And what are they going to learn from a coach who seemingly has no clue what he is doing up in the NHL?

And again you completely missed the point and are speaking in absolutes.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
And again you completely missed the point and are speaking in absolutes.

And you keep making excuses for Hynes and you honestly believe that Lovejoy being worse than a rookie like Santini and Severson even with his flaws is up for debate haha.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

No I don't like all the decisions he makes, but it's not like he has much to choose from. I'm not going to get all irate because he's using a veteran RD instead of a rookie on the PK or against top competition.

Earlier in the year we had more alternatives than to play Josefson on the 3rd line and he was either a scratch or he was put in for the 3rd line.

Severson is much better than Lovejoy at everything, I'll fight to the death to argue that. Santini is a rookie and probably shouldn't be injected with an overload of minutes. I've actually been a proponent of that all year long. In garbage time though, I don't think playing Santini 20+ minutes would be a bad idea though.

As far as goalie pulls go, this was a regular Hynes-ism even earlier on in the year. Only around January did he start making a few goalie pulls when guys were getting lit up. He pulled Cory after 3 goals on like 5 shots in the first 10 minutes or maybe even less against Toronto, pulled him early against LA and pulled Kinkaid early against Washington before the all star break.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
And you keep making excuses for Hynes and you honestly believe that Lovejoy being worse than a rookie like Santini and Severson even with his flaws is up for debate haha.

In a developmental season, playing Lovejoy over Santini and Severson makes sense.

Devils are putting an emphasis on development this year over wins. Something that Hynes has reflected in a lot of his line-up decisions. Even times when guys have sat, it's to learn and come back.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
So you're upset that we are criticizing a player that gets paid a ton because he's underachieving? Alright.

I don't think Severson is a god, I just properly evaluate him.

Schneider has had a careers worth of great hockey I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since this the worst Devils team in 30 years. So yeah I'll defend him and he'll return to form. While you can defend a defensman who hasn't proved anything and who you evaluate terribly. You thinks he's a first pairing defensman, you think him and Greene were good pair, you call him a stud. You go out of your way to compliment him when he's done nothing, he's hasnt proved anything in this league and I don't think he's the player I thought he was or will be. That's all I ever said. It's a big loss to a team losing you're first pairing RHD and he was supposed to replace him and if anyone tries to deny that he's wasn't suppose to replace Larsson those threads from the summer still exist. He's not there yet and that hurt us a lot this year. He's not the reason we're bad but he's was supposed to be one of this team's most important players and hasnt delivered offensively or defensively.

I don't even wanna talk about him but you made it about him when all I was trying to do was point out that this defense can't even properly defend 2-1. So just blaming Schneider for everything is unfair I started typing it when I thought it was Lovejoy and was gonna delete it after I realize it was
, cause I didn't wanna get into argument with the same 5-6 posters about Severson. I've gone out of my way not mention his name cause posters get all defensive about it like I'm insulting a legend.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Earlier in the year we had more alternatives than to play Josefson on the 3rd line and he was either a scratch or he was put in for the 3rd line.

Severson is much better than Lovejoy at everything, I'll fight to the death to argue that. Santini is a rookie and probably shouldn't be injected with an overload of minutes. I've actually been a proponent of that all year long. In garbage time though, I don't think playing Santini 20+ minutes would be a bad idea though.

As far as goalie pulls go, this was a regular Hynes-ism even earlier on in the year. Only around January did he start making a few goalie pulls when guys were getting lit up. He pulled Cory after 3 goals on like 5 shots in the first 10 minutes or maybe even less against Toronto, pulled him early against LA and pulled Kinkaid early against Washington before the all star break.

Severson will get his chance, but I'd prefer him playing heavy 5-on-5 minutes and on the PP at this point. If Severson were doing everything, he'd be playing like 30 minutes a night. Santini has been getting second PK duties when he's in.

And we didn't have alternatives to Josefson at 3C. The option was always either to put Zacha at 3C or move Fiddler or Kalinin to 3C. Zacha started off at 3C and when he faltered, Josefson took his place. It was clear they wanted Blandisi to get development time earlier in the year so he wasn't an option till recently.

I'm not going to bother to comment on the goalie pulls, because I don't really keep note of that.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The whole team blows, but seriously, Lovejoy is next level bad. Bad enough that regardless of the situation or the kind of season it is, I think it's fair to absolutely blast him. He is really really awful.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
In a developmental season, playing Lovejoy over Santini and Severson makes sense.

Devils are putting an emphasis on development this year over wins. Something that Hynes has reflected in a lot of his line-up decisions. Even times when guys have sat, it's to learn and come back.

That would hold some weight if the team didn't say they were making a push for the playoffs earlier in the season. And at that point, no, it would make more sense to play the better player more minutes so you can see how they handle it, especially when that option they would be playing over has shown themselves to be terrible like Lovejoy has shown time and time again this season.

And what development has happened? We have no clue since some of the young guys that are "developing" here are struggling or not getting many minutes to show what they can do or get benched for messing up even if they have been less of an issue than the veterans.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
IDC about wins or loses, I am more looking at the lack of structure this team has and how clueless some of the young guys look. That is on the coaching staff.

You go through these long winded reasons as to why the goal happened and make excuses for Schneider not coming up with the save or trying to take most of the blame off of him. I swear you watch different game than most people here.

Who is acting like an internet tough guy aside from you just now with the beer muscles bs and now the internet tough guy comment hahaha?

Schneider is an issue, he has shown he makes horrible reads and gets back doored way too much and he barely reacts to it or falls on his ass when he goes to push across the crease. Aside from tonight (after being back doored twice) I can't remember the last time he made a save pushing across the crease to stop it.

I defend my points and I don't insult anyone unless I'm insulted first. I'm calm and finding this quite amusing that you're getting all worked up over a loss when it's game 79 and we have the third worst record in the league. Oh and how these goals went in deserve mention so I'm not worried about Schneider when he's proved it for his entire career he's legit, you can huff and puff and yell at everyone.

I will admit my posts are long winded though lol. Still not gonna change.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That would hold some weight if the team wasn't making a push for the playoffs earlier in the season. And at that point, no, it would make more sense to play the better player more minutes so you can see how they handle it, especially when that option they would be playing over has shown themselves to be terrible like Lovejoy has shown time and time again this season.

And what development has happened? We have no clue since some of the young guys that are "developing" here are struggling or not getting many minutes to show what they can do or get benched for messing up even if they have been less of an issue than the veterans.

Which is my point, the entire year was a developmental year. I don't think Shero or Hynes really prioritized winning at any point in the year. Signing guys like Lovejoy, Quincey, and Fiddler doesn't signify a team that's looking to compete.

And this has been the rookie year for just about every important player so the up and downs were expected. No one was really expected to come in and be a difference maker. Merrill's had a solid year, Severson has been better especially since December, Blandisi's had some solid play this year, and I'm sure there's a couple more.

And every coach does the same thing with their veterans. The only difference is the better teams have better veteran players to use or some teams have elite players (especially on defense) who take the load off of the rest of the defenders.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Don't even bother with it Zippy. Ignorance, exaggerations and absolutes are the new norms in life. That's exactly why what happened in November happened if you know what I mean. Logic doesn't mean anything anymore.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I defend my points and I don't insult anyone unless I'm insulted first. I'm calm and finding this quite amusing that you're getting all worked up over a loss when it's game 79 and we have the third worst record in the league. Oh and how these goals went in deserve mention so I'm not worried about Schneider when he's proved it for his entire career he's legit, you can huff and puff and yell at everyone.

I will admit my posts are long winded though lol. Still not gonna change.

What has Schneider done in his NHL career to prove he is a legit number 1 goalie that is capable of getting a team to the playoffs and winning a cup?

I'm not worked up over them losing haha. I am annoyed at how garbage the coaching staff is, how unstructured the team looks, the fanboys making excuse after excuse for either bad goaltending from the supposed elite top 5 goal tender or **** coaching.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Do we pull Schneider to have a chance at winning this game? Everyone was pissed when we beat philly the other night. If we put Kincaid in and won Hynes would be done for trying to win when we need a better chance at a pick.

Also why are people saying Lovejoy plays so much more than Severson, that didn't happen tonight and on the season Lovejoy averages 20 seconds more. It's about 5 minutes too much I'll admit that. I'm getting pissed that Santini keeps getting sat. That's rediculous because Santini, Merrill and Severson are gonna be a big part of the future, even if disagree to what extant that is, so at the very least

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Do we pull Schneider to have a chance at winning this game? Everyone was pissed when we beat philly the other night. If we put Kincaid in and won Hynes would be done for trying to win when we need a better chance at a pick.

Also why are people saying Lovejoy plays so much more than Severson, that didn't happen tonight and on the season Lovejoy averages 20 seconds more. It's about 5 minutes too much I'll admit that. I'm getting pissed that Santini keeps getting sat. That's rediculous because Santini, Merrill and Severson are gonna be a big part of the future, even if disagree to what extant that is, so at the very least

Pull him so he stops getting lit up and his confidence doesn't get damaged even more than it probably is.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's not the reason we're bad but he's was supposed to be one of this team's most important players and hasnt delivered offensively

He's scored 30 points this year.

When was the last time Adam Larsson scored 30 points in a season? He hasn't.

Pull him so he stops getting lit up and his confidence doesn't get damaged even more than it probably is.
This is what I'm saying.

If a goalie allows 5 goals and we're 25 minutes into the game, you gotta pull him. Whether he's allowed 0 bad goals or all 5 were bad goals. Maybe if the game was still tied or if we were winning, I'd cut him a break.

There's no excuse for that. And this is a regular and constant Hynes-ism this year.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
What has Schneider done in his NHL career to prove he is a legit number 1 goalie that is capable of getting a team to the playoffs and winning a cup?

I'm not worked up over them losing haha. I am annoyed at how garbage the coaching staff is, how unstructured the team looks, the fanboys making excuse after excuse for either bad goaltending from the supposed elite top 5 goal tender or **** coaching.

If you think he's not been a great goalie over his career, you're crazy. He's got the 2nd greatest save percentage in NHL history, better than Hasek and is 12th all time GAA. Not his fault he was behind Luongo and most Canuck fans would tell you he was better, but it's tough to not play Luongo when he had that contract. Then got traded to a team that has just lost two superstars and basically their identity that they had for 20 years. I personally think this organization has let him down more than he's let the team down. He's been the best goalie on the worst team since he got here and I believe once we get that structure, that you have a right to complain about he'll be fine again. This is the worst Devils team in 30 years overall and especially when it comes to team defense. He's having a bad year but he'll be back. The defense is what keeps me up at night.

I'm also not gonna blame Hynes for not being able to turn chicken **** into chicken soup, yet. I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad