Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2 Oilers 1 OT

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That's not even remotely the same situation, Iginla had earned the right to choose in that case after a career long service to the team and Calgary was going to get the same basic package from any of the teams (low pick + prospect). We had way more to offer Toronto than what Pittsburgh did.
And Kessel didn't have the right to choose? It's not even about rights, it's about what the player wants. You offer a player an NTC and you live with it. Dany Heatley shot us down and Ottawa was forced to take a worse deal.

If Phil Kessel didn't want to come here (and there was no indication that he did) then there's nothing to be done. It's not about who has the better trade to offer in that case. If the player doesn't want to go then the player doesn't want to go. The Oilers could offer up McDavid for Kessel and if he doesn't want to go then too bad.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
and again, they don't have the reigning MVP on their team along side the highest scoring duo in the NHL
They have a D that is world class and specifically Subban who, due to his position is as valuable, or more valuable in determination of results than most forwards and even an MVP. Do we so quickly forget about Pronger and all that a superior Defenceman brings? Before you respond Larsson isn't close to any of that. Our D isn't even in the same ballpark as Nashville was better than us last season, would have beat us in a series last season, and are better than us now.
Additionally they are a club with an established winning identity and the Oilers are not quite there yet. With the Oilers their success has yet to be consolidated. If you play in Nashville you play for a team that wins more than loses every year.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Motivation. Plus, did you see the yawning cage that Letestu faced and then shot it into Murray's paddle? It wasn't just Yamamoto.
I will say though that I agree with your general premise that Oil management has been beyond foolish in keeping this kid in the NHL. So obviously not ready.
Stop talking about Nashville. They are not a one line team with porous defense and bad coaching.
In defense of Letestu though in this one it was a great paddle save. Letestu put it in a decent spot, Murray got to it. it was an amazing stop. More than a bit of luck as well.

it is sad with the Oilers that the shelf is so bare with ready prospects or depth players that we dress a kid that is all game but isn't ready. Its even somewhat dangerous for Kailer to be playing many games in the NHL before he hopefully gets a bit bigger and stronger. But putting him on topline, man what a lot of pressure. Why does this org feed kids into those overwhelming situations?

One would think as well that any of a number of vets on this club could look at Kailers hustle out there and bring their game up a notch as well. A chief problem in the first periods in which the Oilers have been badly outscored is not being ready to match intensity and tempo. They feel their way into most games. So that McLellan perhaps even needs the energy plug out there to get the team heated up. if that's the case its inexcusable.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
. **it ain't easy, just wish people would ease up on a tough start to the season.

Yep, move along, nothing to see here. This is the "bury your head in the sand" viewpoint I'm talking about.

My buddy want to wait until game 25 before he panics - oilers might be out of the playoff picture by then

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
In defense of Letestu though in this one it was a great paddle save. Letestu put it in a decent spot, Murray got to it. it was an amazing stop. More than a bit of luck as well.
I'm usually all for giving the goaltender props, and maybe my personal feeling that Murray is extremely over rated is clouding my judgement here, but the top half of the net was just a yawning cave of space. Letestu chose to shoot at the middle. He should know better. He should know the book on Murray is go high. At least Yamamoto was facing a tougher angle and probably seeing stars going for his first ever NHL goal. Letestu has no similar excuses.

I thought the Letestu miss was worse. Again, noted Murray hater here, so take that for what its worth.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm usually all for giving the goaltender props, and maybe my personal feeling that Murray is extremely over rated is clouding my judgement here, but the top half of the net was just a yawning cave of space. Letestu chose to shoot at the middle. He should know better. He should know the book on Murray is go high. At least Yamamoto was facing a tougher angle and probably seeing stars going for his first ever NHL goal. Letestu has no similar excuses.

I thought the Letestu miss was worse. Again, noted Murray hater here, so take that for what its worth.
heh, I like Fleury more than Murray as well. Murray is a bit unorthodox at times and his saves can look incidental. He's been torched pretty good this season too. He just happens to play behind the best club in hockey. Theres times where the Pens barely lose the puck in a period.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Unfortunately one of the few hockey fan friends I have over here is a devoted Pens fan. He never shuts up about Murray. Its kind of nauseating.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Yep, move along, nothing to see here. This is the "bury your head in the sand" viewpoint I'm talking about.

My buddy want to wait until game 25 before he panics - oilers might be out of the playoff picture by then
I know you are all of two years in on this board, but the manic mood swings of the board have been a constant.

WIN 3, Lord Stanley is coming. Lose 3, where is Yakupov to save us?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm not worried about the Oilers yet, but I will be if they cough up a hairball on this next 5-game home stand. I mean, barring a miracle, the season essentially hangs in the balance in this 5-game home stand.

The Oilers sit at a lousy 2-5-1, only kept out of the Pacific basement due to Arizona's being the most inept pro-sports franchise in North America right now.

After this upcoming 5-game home stand, the Oilers have a 4-game road trip to the New York/Washington area, where they almost never do well.

Sort of stating the obvious, but if they crap out on the 5-game home stand and (as is likely) on the 4-game East-coast road trip, they're basically sunk.

I mean, imagine they go 1 and 4 or something on this 5-game home stand. At that point, the record will be 3-9-1 with a probable 4 losses on the road to follow.

I do think they've looked pretty good in the recent three road games, but at some point you have to score a goal.

As I see it, the pressure is now on McD and Drai and Talbot to show what they're really made of -- Dallas and Jersey should be "winnable" games, and in between are games against Ovechkin and Crosby, for which everyone should be geared up for.

Time to put the cards on the table.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not worried about the Oilers yet, but I will be if they cough up a hairball on this next 5-game home stand. I mean, barring a miracle, the season essentially hangs in the balance in this 5-game home stand.

The Oilers sit at a lousy 2-5-1, only kept out of the Pacific basement due to Arizona's being the most inept pro-sports franchise in North America right now.

After this upcoming 5-game home stand, the Oilers have a 4-game road trip to the New York/Washington area, where they almost never do well.

Sort of stating the obvious, but if they crap out on the 5-game home stand and (as is likely) on the 4-game East-coast road trip, they're basically sunk.

I mean, imagine they go 1 and 4 or something on this 5-game home stand. At that point, the record will be 3-9-1 with a probable 4 losses on the road to follow.

I do think they've looked pretty good in the recent three road games, but at some point you have to score a goal.

As I see it, the pressure is now on McD and Drai and Talbot to show what they're really made of -- Dallas and Jersey should be "winnable" games, and in between are games against Ovechkin and Crosby, for which everyone should be geared up for.

The team needs to go 3-2 on this home stand to stay afloat and 2-1-1 at worst on the road trip. We need to stop the bleeding and stop losing more than winning.

This team currently has as many losing streaks as wins.

Tomorrow needs to be a statement game. Come out hard and score. Another tight fought loss is unacceptable at this point.

It's been 7 games since we have had a lead. It's about time we get one.

Reactions: The Panther

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The team needs to go 3-2 on this home stand to stay afloat and 2-1-1 at worst on the road trip. We need to stop the bleeding and stop losing more than winning.

This team currently has as many losing streaks as wins.

Tomorrow needs to be a statement game.
I agree with your assessment, and especially that it needs to be a "statement game". The fan-base is already nervous (understandably) that we're back to the Darkness.

Optimistically, I'd like to think that the team has now run out its bad luck for the season... But all excuses are gone now, they've got to show their stuff.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Anything less than 4-1 on the home stand and 2-2 on the road trip, I fear this board will enter critical meltdown.

The team has dug themselves into a hole and they have to get out of it though. No question this stretch is incredibly important and the time for excuses or trying to figure it out is over. They need to perform.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014

After being such an awful team for so long, this isn't burying our head in the sand it's recognizing we need patience and that this is a young team that still has to grow a lot to be a contender. I'm not ignoring any problem here and there is no sand in Edmonton.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
After being such an awful team for so long, this isn't burying our head in the sand it's recognizing we need patience and that this is a young team that still has to grow a lot to be a contender. I'm not ignoring any problem here and there is no sand in Edmonton.

I'm not so worried about 2-5-1 start. I'm worried about the next 10 games. The schedule is not easy.
My pre-season prediction was for Oilers to go 10-16 for Oct-Nov.
Why don't you ask me how I came up with that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad