Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2 Oilers 1 OT

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
Agreed, Calgary doesn't have the foundation to hang with the big boys and although it doesn't seem like we do right now there's this deep sense of trust it will come that I have. I also just see this as growing pains for a bunch of 20 somethings who have been handed the franchise and are learning to develop their game and live with the pressure. Like even if we miss the playoffs this season, if there's promising stretches or guys we didn't expect up front to put up points end up scoring..... noone will be fired and we'll move into next season more mature and battle ready.

I boil alot of what we're seeing up to youth, cockyness or attitude issues with thinking it would be easy this season after last year's performance and pressure of playing in edmonton for newer players in the league. **it ain't easy, just wish people would ease up on a tough start to the season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As opposed to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin?

No, the American star winger wants to go to a crazed Canadian market with no hope or future before McDavid was even drafted.

Yeah but that requires Toronto accepting the trade in the first place. Given the situation I think Phil accepts without much fuss. He knows Chia too.

The probable truth is the Oilers didn't even make a phone call. Because they believed in Eberle being the long term answer here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed, Calgary doesn't have the foundation to hang with the big boys and although it doesn't seem like we do right now there's this deep sense of trust it will come that I have. I also just see this as growing pains for a bunch of 20 somethings who have been handed the franchise and are learning to develop their game and live with the pressure. Like even if we miss the playoffs this season, if there's promising stretches or guys we didn't expect up front to put up points end up scoring..... noone will be fired and we'll move into next season more mature and battle ready.

I boil alot of what we're seeing up to youth, cockyness or attitude issues with thinking it would be easy this season after last year's performance and pressure of playing in edmonton for newer players in the league. **it ain't easy, just wish people would ease up on a tough start to the season.

We maybe don't this year, but we will eventually. It's only a matter of time.

Even that f*** it ... I still think they will make the playoffs if they keep playing the same way they have the last three games and if that's the case, this is a team no one in the West wants to play in the playoffs. No one in this conference wants any piece of McDavid.

They are no going to be held to 1-2 goals a game forever, bounces will eventually start to turn and the early season record is exaggerated by Draisaitl being out.

Tampa missed the playoffs last year, they might win the Cup this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah but that requires Toronto accepting the trade in the first place. Given the situation I think Phil accepts without much fuss. He knows Chia too.

The probable truth is the Oilers didn't even make a phone call. Because they believed in Eberle being the long term answer here.
Phil makes the final call. If he doesn't want to go then that's that. And given the choice between Pittsburgh and Edmonton it's not even a contest.

Hell, even today it STILL isn't a contest.

The Oilers were still a huge mess in 2015, McDavid lottery or no and Pittsburgh was still a perennial playoff team with two of the best players on the planet. Never mind already having experienced a rabid Canadian market, I doubt he wanted to go through that again. There was no advantage Edmonton could've offered over Pittsburgh. None.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
We maybe don't this year, but we will eventually. It's only a matter of time.

Even that **** it ... I still think they will make the playoffs if they keep playing the same way they have the last three games and if that's the case, this is a team no one in the West wants to play in the playoffs. No one in this conference wants any piece of McDavid.

They are no going to be held to 1-2 goals a game forever, bounces will eventually start to turn.

Tampa missed the playoffs last year, they might win the Cup this year.

The league is kind of in a weird flux right now.... up until maybe 2 years ago the favorites like the hawks, and blues and sharks and kings were dominant.... and then faded in their own ways to an extent but are now resurging a bit this year and the western conference champs were nashville who has always been a pretty good team but the year they go to the cup they finish in 8th..... And of course we all thought the oilers were claiming the throne after last season but are now taking a back seat again it would seem so far. It's weird in the western conference right now, we're in flux between the major transitions.

You could argue the same for the eastern conference but less severe I'd say than West.

Alowlyoilersfan

Sep 28, 2017
if we can start getting secondary scoring from our Blue line we will be okay; there is potential there. would be nice to have sekEra right now for that

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Phil makes the final call. If he doesn't want to go then that's that. And given the choice between Pittsburgh and Edmonton it's not even a contest.

Hell, even today it STILL isn't a contest.

The Oilers were still a huge mess in 2015, McDavid lottery or no and Pittsburgh was still a perennial playoff team with two of the best players on the planet. Never mind already having experienced a rabid Canadian market, I doubt he wanted to go through that again. There was no advantage Edmonton could've offered over Pittsburgh. None.

Do you think the Oilers even made a phone call? I doubt it. Chiarelli, McLellan, McDavid in ... no the "mess" was coming out everyone and their grandma could see it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Do you think the Oilers even made a phone call? I doubt it. Chiarelli, McLellan, McDavid in ... no the "mess" was coming out everyone and their grandma could see it.
I don't know but it really doesn't matter, now does it? Pittsburgh was always the better option for Phil and hindsight being what it is, he absolutely 100% made the correct decision.

If you were given the choice at that time between Pittsburgh and Edmonton you go with the former every single time.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't know but it really doesn't matter, now does it? Pittsburgh was always the better option for Phil and hindsight being what it is, he absolutely 100% made the correct decision.

If you were given the choice at that time between Pittsburgh and Edmonton you go with the former every single time.

Toronto is under no obligation to give him the choice. They can say "hey we have a deal with Edmonton, Mr. Chiarelli your old GM wants you to play with this wunderkid and they've just hired one of the top coaches in the NHL".

You think players get a list of options from teams? No way, teams shop around and then present the best offer for them to the player's camp. That's kinda called doing your job as a GM.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Toronto is under no obligation to give him the choice. They can say "hey we have a deal with Edmonton, Mr. Chiarelli your old GM wants you to play with this wunderkid and they've just hired one of the top coaches in the NHL".

You think players get a list of options from teams? No way, teams shop around and then present the best offer for them to the player's camp. That's kinda called doing your job as a GM.
His NTC speaks otherwise. If Phil doesn't want to go to Edmonton he invokes his NTC and that's the end of the conversation. Do people forget when Iginla specifically did this?

It doesn't matter what deal is best for the team. With an NTC it's down to what the player wants and it's the team's job to make that work.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
His NTC speaks otherwise. If Phil doesn't want to go to Edmonton he invokes his NTC and that's the end of the conversation. Do people forget when Iginla specifically did this?

It doesn't matter what deal is best for the team. With an NTC it's down to what the player wants and it's the team's job to make that work.
Did Kessel have a modified NTC/NMC or just a NTC/NMC at the time of the trade?

I wonder if we could trade Lucic to the Isle since it's close to Boston

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

NTC doesn't mean a player gets to be presented with every option. My guess is he would be willing to say yes to Edmonton.

Playing with Connor McDavid and Taylor Hall would arguably be the best line in hockey under a proven coach and the GM that drafted him. That would be all that's presented to him. I bet he says yes. If he says no, then maybe Toronto has to present other options, but not before that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
NTC doesn't mean a player gets to be presented with every option. My guess is he would be willing to say yes to Edmonton.

Playing with Connor McDavid and Talyor Hall would arguably be the best line in hockey under a proven coach and the GM that drafted him. I bet he says yes.
Or he could go to a team that was much closer to winning a Cup with better players. And that isn't a media circus, never mind being a circus the other way. There was no reason to pick Edmonton over Pittsburgh. His NTC probably had Pittsburgh on his "yes trade" list, and Edmonton was not there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Or he could go to a team that was much closer to winning a Cup with better players. And that isn't a media circus, never mind being a circus the other way. There was no reason to pick Edmonton over Pittsburgh. His NTC probably had Pittsburgh on his "yes trade" list, and Edmonton was not there.

Player doesn't know any of that. A team is under no obligation to say "Phil X teams have made an offer for you". He doesn't know who's bidding.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Player doesn't know any of that. A team is under no obligation to say "Phil X teams have made an offer for you". He doesn't know who's bidding.
Well that's basically what happened with Iginla.

So Toronto tells him there's a deal in place with Edmonton. He says no, conversation finished. That's it. End of story. Even if he doesn't know that Pittsburgh is available.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well that's basically what happened with Iginla.

So Toronto tells him there's a deal in place with Edmonton. He says no, conversation finished. That's it. End of story. Even if he doesn't know that Pittsburgh is available.

That's not even remotely the same situation, Iginla had earned the right to choose in that case after a career long service to the team and Calgary was going to get the same basic package from any of the teams (low pick + prospect). We had way more to offer Toronto than what Pittsburgh did.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Think about it. If the kid gets sent down right now this is his last memory of playing up with the club and that will be in back of his mind all season.
Motivation. Plus, did you see the yawning cage that Letestu faced and then shot it into Murray's paddle? It wasn't just Yamamoto.
I will say though that I agree with your general premise that Oil management has been beyond foolish in keeping this kid in the NHL. So obviously not ready.
neither was Nashville to start last season...they had the same record and same goal differential (-8)
Stop talking about Nashville. They are not a one line team with porous defense and bad coaching.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
One thing they have is a well rounded team that beats us just about every time we meet
Not only that. They've had one of the most feared defensive corps in the NHL for years and play a hard nosed brand of uptempo hockey like the Oilers could only dream of. They've also been a consistent team for years now.

Tkachev is happy putting all the load on two guys I guess. We'll see how that works out.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not only that. They've had one of the most feared defensive corps in the NHL for years and play a hard nosed brand of uptempo hockey like the Oilers could only dream of. They've also been a consistent team for years now.

Tkachev is happy putting all the load on two guys I guess. We'll see how that works out.
Thought he was playing for the Preds for a second there lol

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
his username is "yababy"...isn't that the saying of that moron Flamer announcer in Cowtown?
should've been our first clue

I'm an Oilers fan since you were in diapers. Fans of the team can be critical and have a high level of expectation. Of course, Edmonton media have been throwing softballs at the team for years, and fans sold the building out for the 10 years they were the worst team in hockey. I'm not a meek fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad