Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2 Oilers 1 OT

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
Give it a rest.
If Mcdavid wanted to be like Crosby he woulda signed for 9.7m a year, not 12.5. The kid guaranteed himself a Marcel Dionne legacy the that contract (along with his greed buddy Draisaitl)

Spare me your crap

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Give it a rest.
If Mcdavid wanted to be like Crosby he woulda signed for 9.7m a year, not 12.5. The kid guaranteed himself a Marcel Dionne legacy the that contract (along with his greed buddy Draisaitl)

Not warm enough on Calgary Puck for ya? Here's a fun fact ... Flames core is worse overall, they are going to be a middling team lapped in the future by the Leafs, Oilers, and even the Jets because they don't have any real elite talent. Little Hobbit is taking that franchise no where, but enjoy 45-year-old Jagr.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Was Phil Kessel not given away in the summer of 2015? I even remember at the time thinking "man maybe we should have moved on that, Kessel is a better player over Eberle".

Even if you do that and not much else ...

Maroon McDavid Kessel
Hall Draisaitl RNH

We'd be like Toronto.
Eberle would not have gotten you Kessel. Pittsburgh frankly stole him from Toronto. Or another way to look at it, scoring wingers often give you underwhelming returns.
I think Soundwave was referring to when RNH and Ebs had incredible value.
When was this? 2011/2012? Their contracts have always been too much and to trade them so early in their careers would've been just as stupid.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Eberle would not have gotten you Kessel. Pittsburgh frankly stole him from Toronto. Or another way to look at it, scoring wingers often give you underwhelming returns.

When was this? 2011/2012?
Ebs and RNH was part of the core then. But 2013 I've been advocating to move them for defensive needs. That would have solidified our defense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

When was this? 2011/2012? Their contracts have always been too much and to trade them so early in their careers would've been just as stupid.

Toronto was looking to dump him for anything. They absolutely would have taken Eberle. We needed to identify which players were mental weaklings early on and we did not do that.

Eberle and RNH are not cornerstones of a great team, they are both way too soft and we knew this years ago. We just kept hoping they would somehow change.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ebs and RNH was part of the core then. But 2013 I've been advocating to move them for defensive needs. That would have solidified our defense.
And then we'd have no center depth. Hindsight is always 20/20 but in this case robbing Peter to pay Paul wasn't the answer either.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That's fine. I think the forwards would have come to its own eventually
Do you remember the days when Gagner was our only center? Or when we had to put Hall at center because we literally didn't have any? I agree with the overall notion but trading RNH to shore up the D at that point still would've been disastrous.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
Not warm enough on Calgary Puck for ya? Here's a fun fact ... Flames core is worse overall, they are going to be a middling team lapped in the future by the Leafs, Oilers, and even the Jets because they don't have any real elite talent. Little Hobbit is taking that franchise no where, but enjoy 45-year-old Jagr.

It sounds alot like what we were pre McDavid honestly.... thinking we had an awesome team when really it was just some pretty talented guys who weren't real leaders you could build on that would deliver 60-70 pts. Flamers should take a lesson from us when we set our hopes so high on the Hall-RNH-Ebs trio....

But what do you do? Own that knowledge and continue to wait for the lottery balls to deliver you a prodigy or try to defeat history and assemble a bunch of decent-good players and see where it takes you? I don't really blame Calgary for not blowing it up, but at hte same time if I could dangle Gudreau in a year or two for something worth building around.... might be time to come clean about the situation.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would moved Eberle in 2015 for Kessel and this is not even hindsight, I felt strongly at the time too.

And RNH then the following year.

Hall would be off limits. Pass on Lucic. Yes to Maroon.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Canthavetkachev
I'm going to remember how dismissive you are about this losing and rub your face in it when Oilers are out of it by Christmas
looking at your post history, all I see are a ton of negative posts about the Oilers and Draisaitl

plus you disappeared for long stretches when the Oilers were playing good only to re-appear when they hit the skids in November and early March

I question your Oilers fandom

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I would moved Eberle in 2015 for Kessel and this is not even hindsight, I felt strongly at the time too.

And RNH then the following year.

Hall would be off limits. Pass on Lucic. Yes to Maroon.
Why would Toronto do that? There would be no reason for them to. Clearly they were looking for a package. He also had an NTC in that time so fat chance he would've come here.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Do you remember the days when Gagner was our only center? Or when we had to put Hall at center because we literally didn't have any? I agree with the overall notion but trading RNH to shore up the D at that point still would've been disastrous.
As fans, at 2013 I've already started noticing the flaws in RNH and Ebs game, or should I say regressed to. Only a matter of time until the league would have noticed. Yes it's hindsight, but there were a few of us that were pushing to trade RNH and Ebs for defense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It sounds alot like what we were pre McDavid honestly.... thinking we had an awesome team when really it was just some pretty talented guys who weren't real leaders you could build on that would deliver 60-70 pts. Flamers should take a lesson from us when we set our hopes so high on the Hall-RNH-Ebs trio....

Even if this year has been rough, they along with Montreal and Vancouver IMO have the worst core group. Little Hobbit is never leading a team to a Cup.

I will take my chances with McDavid + Draisaitl as the key cogs of a core, also would take Matthews + Nylander and Laine + Schiefle and Karlsson + anyone over Gaudreau + Monahan being the foundation of a franchise.

Our problems will iron out, it just might require a season of frustration, but long term I'm good with what we got.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
As fans, at 2013 I've already started noticing the flaws in RNH and Ebs game, or should I say regressed to. Only a matter of time until the league would have noticed. Yes it's hindsight, but there were a few of us that were pushing to trade RNH and Ebs for defense.
Again I agree with the overall notion but Eberle wasn't going to get you anything of note and trading RNH would've left us with no centers. And you certainly don't trade him before his ELC expires.

This is where the Oilers stunning lack of ability to draft and develop really hurts them. We keep jettisoning players with nobody to replace them.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
his username is "yababy"...isn't that the saying of that moron Flamer announcer in Cowtown?
should've been our first clue

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Phil Kessel was available in summer 2015 saying the Pens "stole" him ... well here's a radical idea ... maybe you PICK UP A PHONE and make a phone call and say "hey look instead of taking nothing but garbage for Kessel how about we give you a younger RW to fit in with your rebuild. Cool? OK, we'll send over the paper work".

Wow. So difficult.

They weren't interested because they believed Eberle was the answer here on the RW. That's the mistake. They believed RNH is the answer. That's a mistake. They believed Lucic was an answer here.

Mistake numero 3, Chia.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Phil Kessel was available in summer 2015 saying the Pens "stole" him ... well here's a radical idea ... maybe you PICK UP A PHONE and make a phone call and say "hey look instead of taking nothing but garbage for Kessel about we give you a younger RW to fit in with your rebuild. Cool? OK, we'll send over the paper work".

Wow. So difficult.
Then Phil invokes his NTC to not go from one garbage franchise to another and the phone call ends.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
Even if this year has been rough, they along with Montreal IMO have the worst core group. Little Hobbit is never leading a team to a Cup.

I will take my chances with McDavid + Draisaitl as the key cogs of a core, also would take Matthews + Nylander and Laine + Schiefle and Karlsson + anyone over Gaudreau + Monahan being the foundation of a franchise.

Our problems will iron out, it just might require a season of frustration, but long term I'm good with what we got.

I agree, ours will fade in a few years if development and drafting comes through but it takes time and preaching patience to our fans is just so painful. I know I hate it, we've been thorugh too much.

If you're the flames Monahan is probably your Drai, and you at least need another Monahan or something better to build around and contend. Period. With their defense, they might only be 1 really good center away from being a beast though. I know most teams could say that but Calgary in particular, a goalie and a 1a/2 C. If you could trade Gudreau and something else for that guy I'd do it, despite the fact everyone loves JOhnny so much.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree, ours will fade in a few years if development and drafting comes through but it takes time and preaching patience to our fans is just so painful. I know I hate it, we've been thorugh too much.

If you're the flames Monahan is probably your Drai, and you at least need another Monahan or something better to build around and contend. Period. With their defense, they might only be 1 really good center away from being a beast though. I know most teams could say that but Calgary in particular, a goalie and a 1a/2 C. If you could trade Gudreau and something else for that guy I'd do it, despite the fact everyone loves JOhnny so much.

Their core is a bunch of vanilla ice cream. Plain jane. Gaudreau is not even as good as Iginla.

They can enjoy our woes for the time being, but they're not going to get the last laugh with the talent level they have. It's not good enough to scare anyone in this league.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
"Hi Phil ... how'd you like to play with Connor McDavid and Taylor Hall. Cool, we'll send over the paper work."

As opposed to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin?

No, the American star winger wants to go to a crazed Canadian market with no hope or future before McDavid was even drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad