Prospect Info: Penguins #1 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Prospect development camp has been earlier this summer. And we have gotten most of our prospect and Baby Pens signings done now. So it's time for our annual prospect poll extravaganza. :)

We had a big re-shuffling of the deck last summer with 8 players leaving and 10 making the list for the first time. That probably won't happen this year. Sprong won 2016 in a landslide, and that most likely will happen again. No longer eligible from last year are Guentzel (graduated), Sundqvist (traded), Byron and Percy (both unsigned). I don't consider Tinordi and McKegg prospects anymore. Newly eligible are Corrado, Aston-Reese, Johnson and our entire 2017 draft class.

Polls are open 48 hrs. Landslides may be called after 24 hrs, too close to call polls will have a 24 hr runoff. Optionally write in who you want added for the next round. When you're arguing upside vs. readiness and other hockey facts then remind yourselves that it's just a poll and you should really just relax.

:popcorn:

Links to previous polls:
2016 (Sprong, Guentzel, Sundqvist)
2015 (Murray, Sprong, Sundqvist)
2014 (Pouliot, Kapanen, Harrington)
2013 (Pouliot, Määttä, Harrington)
2012 (Morrow, Despres, Dumoulin)
2011 (Despres, Tangradi, Bennett)
2010 (Tangradi, Despres, Bennett)
2009 (Tangradi, Despres, Caputi)
2008 (Goligoski, Caputi, Jeffrey)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
1. Sprong
2. Aston-Reese
3. Jarry
4. Gustavsson
5. Simon
6. Lauzon
7. Blueger
8. Archibald
9. Olund
10. Johnson

This is my top-10 as of right now, I think Johnson and Olund could be the big risers here over the next few years. It seems like the Penguins pulled off Johnson before he became next year's ZAR, which we'll see what he can do with WBS next year.

Interesting question, who would you vote as the #1 prospect if Guentzel as an AHLer was included? So imagine Guentzel didn't play in the NHL last year and only had 21 goals and 42 points in 33 games in the AHL. Would you vote for him or Sprong (32 goals and 59 points in 31 games in the Q) as the #1 prospect?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
1. Sprong
2. Jarry
3. Zach Aston-Reese
4. Gustavsson
5. Blueger
6. Simon
7. Olund
8. Lauzon
9. Bjorkqvist
10. Lafferty

Don't feel like Di Pauli, Bengtsson or Prow should be on the list yet. Olund has potential to rise by quite a bit. Johnson and Tiffels are just outside of the top ten but they could very much rise by alot too.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is Jarry the clear #2? I have ZAR as the #2 and Jarry as the #3.

Considering Jarry's play, likelyhood of being a backup as soon as next year (could easily have been this year) he is just slightly above Aston-Reese.

Aston-Reese should dominate the poll as #1 next year dependant on Gustavsson.

So some could say this should start after #4

1. Sprong
2. Jarry
3. Aston Reese
4. Gustavsson

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
Considering Jarry's play, likelyhood of being a backup as soon as next year (could easily have been this year) he is just slightly above Aston-Reese.

Aston-Reese should dominate the poll as #1 next year dependant on Gustavsson.

So some could say this should start after #4

1. Sprong
2. Jarry
3. Aston Reese
4. Gustavsson

This is where I sit.

Add Adam Johnson

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Sprong and it's not even close.

If he can do 2/3 as much damage as Jake can In the top 6 the final few years of Sid and Geno prime are going to be a lot of fun

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Feels like we should be able to just start this at 3. Sprong clear #1, Jarry clear #2.

I agree but I also don't see Jarry ever doing much for the Pens. Murray is the guy. Jarry is going to be traded or be in a position he won't succeed in - backing up.

I'm not sure how they are going to use Jarry short of trading him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We have two really good goaltending prospects. I'd like to see Jarry take a couple more steps forward this season and put up a top 3 AHL season.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
We have two really good goaltending prospects. I'd like to see Jarry take a couple more steps forward this season and put up a top 3 AHL season.

jarry arguably put up a top 3 ahl season last year lol

3rd in wins, 4th in GAA, 3rd in SV%

compared to the other top goalies in the league statistically, he was also the youngest too.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Sprong easily.

I still think Pouliot should be considered a prospect -- he is listed as a prospect both in The Hockey News Future Watch, and the Post-Gazette annual rankings. It is interesting to see where people will rank him in these polls.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Since this is a prospect thread, and you are all on the uptake on Pens prospects. What is the skinny on Adam Johnson from Minny-Duluth? That is a roundabout way of asking if the Pens might have interest in his ex-UM-D teammate and line-mate, Dominic Toninato? Where Johnson was mostly a wing, Toninato is a Center. Toninato was a 5fh round pick of Toronto, who chose to finish his final year at Duluth. Now, however, the Leafs have acquired so many forwards that they can only offer a minor league contract. That is one which he could refuse and then become a UFA after August 15. Due to the Pens lack of organizational C depth, might JR jump at?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad