Prospect Info: Penguins #1 prospect

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Does Archibald still count as a prospect?

Archibald has possibly graduated, given that he played in the Cup Final, but he's still officially a rookie in the NHL, and there's still no guarantee he'll make the NHL roster in the fall.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Archibald has possibly graduated, given that he played in the Cup Final, but he's still officially a rookie in the NHL, and there's still no guarantee he'll make the NHL roster in the fall.

I'd consider him a prospect still, yeah.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I feel sorry for whoever voted Bengtsson. Probably on purpose...

Sprong has 78 votes, the other is Bengtsson at 1 and the rest 0.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sprong, easily.

On the flip side, the fact that Sprong is such an easy choice shows the system's a little devoid of high end talent after him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Archibald is definitely still a prospect. He's only played 11 career games in the NHL, and only 4 out of the 25 games in the playoffs.

He's in my top ten simply because I think he's almost a lock to be a bottom six player in the NHL. Some of the guys with more upside also are longer shots to make it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sprong, easily.

On the flip side, the fact that Sprong is such an easy choice shows the system's a little devoid of high end talent after him.

Yep. We've had lots of guys graduate to full-time NHLers lately, and while that's ****ing awesome, it leaves a pretty barren prospect pool.

Sprong's probably better offensively than several players on our roster right now. He's most likely gonna need a bit of time to round out his game, but I think he's gonna be a stud. He and Geno are gonna be dynamite together.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Is Jarry the clear #2? I have ZAR as the #2 and Jarry as the #3.

He's the shiny new toy, I guess I get that. Mid-six center or potential high-end starting goalie? I know which one the team needs more, but Aston-Reese is a full tier below Jarry for me. Sprong is still the clear-cut #1, but I have Jarry on the same tier as Sprong. Sprong & Jarry, then ZAR & Gus, and then it gets interesting.

Gustavsson is number 2 imo.

And Lafferty should be in the poll. He's better than half the names on there.

I don't see how Gus is ahead of Jarry at this point in time just given their nearly identical draft stock and the season Jarry just had. It's not Gustavsson's fault he's younger, but I'm also not going to punish Jarry for developing about as well as we could have hoped for to this point.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hail to the king baby, because this is a coronation.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Sprong, Jarry, ZAR, Simon, Gustavsson

I would probably Rate them in that order. Might flip ZAR and Simon but not sure.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Sprong easily.

I still think Pouliot should be considered a prospect -- he is listed as a prospect both in The Hockey News Future Watch, and the Post-Gazette annual rankings. It is interesting to see where people will rank him in these polls.

The thing with Pouliot is that he hasn't been in the past two polls because I considered him graduated. :amazed: If he gets requested enough I could add him again, I guess.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wow. Shows we all know nothing.

Shows how much upside can be over-valued.

Rust was one of those guys you had to really watch to appreciate, as his stat lines before making the NHL were never that impressive. A lot of people really hated that pick, he was just another undersized Shero tweener, until Rust made it to the NHL and people got to see what he does away from the puck more cleanly.

He's one of those guys that I can claim to be 'right' on, but even that took me watching a couple Notre Dame games to be sold on him being something other than a poor man's Tyler Kennedy.

Guys who project to be third liners/sixth defensemen really never finish highly on these kind of polls, even if they're safe bets. The unknown aspect of teenage prospects is always more captivating than a safer 22 year-old, and then we all look back at laugh at how silly some of those rankings were. Then again, there is no such thing as a sure thing...I remember being convinced that Ryan Lannon was going to turn out the way Rob Scuderi actually did, but he never really developed past college. Max Talbot was my prospect of choice for a long time and I don't think he ever ranked above 15th around here, though I'm going off of memory from a long time ago.

Really can't sleep on the speedy youngin's with the way the game is heading now. Tiffels, Johnson, Josephs, DiPauli. All have wheels.

Thats the one thing i worry about with ZAR.

Changes in the game definitely play into stuff like this. Going back to Lannon...if he had been born a decade earlier than he was he probably could have crafted out a career in the pre-lockout NHL...but the rule changes in 2005 effectively made his ilk obsolete. On the flip-side Talbot's lack of size for the role he played became a non-issue because of those same rule changes.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was a fan of Rust after watching him a few times. I don't know if I would have ever voted him higher than 10th. Even though I do recall saying he's a middle 6er that would be a 3rd wheel in the top 6.

I doubt it ends well if you add him.

Yeah, don't add him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
My thing with Rust is that I think we really saw him develop with NHL experience. He was tunnel visioned af at first and he looked like he had hands of stone. He's obviously not a Guentzel now but he's markedly improved in those areas and he's got the clutch factor. The guy made some great progress

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Rust just does it all. Really glad he turned out well. Kuhn too was never high on peoples list but has been a contributing player in both cups. Just go shows that anyone of these prospects could be an NHL player. YES even DP.

Even Guentzel before last year wasn't that high on people's lists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad