Prospect Info: Penguins #1 prospect

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Does Archibald still count as a prospect?

Archibald has possibly graduated, given that he played in the Cup Final, but he's still officially a rookie in the NHL, and there's still no guarantee he'll make the NHL roster in the fall.

I'd consider him a prospect still, yeah.

I consider him a prospect as well, though I consider Pooh the same. The fact that Archie is still considered a rookie by NHL standards make it a given IMO.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Pouliot is still a prospect, unfortunately. That's why people are so ho-hum about him. He could appear on the list, but a bunch of players are about to blow by him. So...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
My thing with Rust is that I think we really saw him develop with NHL experience. He was tunnel visioned af at first and he looked like he had hands of stone. He's obviously not a Guentzel now but he's markedly improved in those areas and he's got the clutch factor. The guy made some great progress

After the 3rd or 4th time I watched Rust play I made a comment along the lines of 'this is the kind of guy you win Cups with.' I really appreciate him making me look good :laugh:

The tunnel-vision was definitely there offensively, but his play away from the puck impressed me so much that I was convinced that he was going to be a great fourth liner at the absolute worst.

Anyway, it's easy to remember stuff like this when it goes right, just don't go looking for any comments I made about Jonathan Filewich. That never happened.

As for prospect status, I tend to draw my distinction at Calder eligibility more than the metric HF always used, so in my book Archibald is still a prospect, while Pouliot is not...but by the old HF standard both would be. Either way I'm not voting for Pouliot.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
After the 3rd or 4th time I watched Rust play I made a comment along the lines of 'this is the kind of guy you win Cups with.' I really appreciate him making me look good :laugh:

The tunnel-vision was definitely there offensively, but his play away from the puck impressed me so much that I was convinced that he was going to be a great fourth liner at the absolute worst.

Anyway, it's easy to remember stuff like this when it goes right, just don't go looking for any comments I made about Jonathan Filewich. That never happened.

As for prospect status, I tend to draw my distinction at Calder eligibility more than the metric HF always used, so in my book Archibald is still a prospect, while Pouliot is not...but by the old HF standard both would be. Either way I'm not voting for Pouliot.

I should have said tunnel visioned with the puck. I think Crosby wanted to kill him over it once. :laugh:

Watching Rust grow was fun. I went from thinking he was an NHL player and being happy about that to thinking he's an important part of this team

I accept that I'm bad at predicting things so whatever. I'm wrong a lot in that regard.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I still see Pouliot as a prospect. We are still developing him. Being a 4th year pro is longer than it should take a top 10 pick to develop, but nonetheless, we are still going through that process.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I do recall that, and I also recall watching him and thinking, "this is what we've been missing." It's weird with our prospects now because we have guys like Rust, Guentzel, and Sheary that have the ability to score some pretty important goals. They were guys who came in and the game didn't seem to big for them. With the signings made, we may have another wave of that this season with Sprong, ZAR, and Johnson.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was kind of right about Zach Sill. He really stood out to me during that one prospects camp and then he got a contract with the Pens.

I was way wrong about Johannes Salmonsson. And holy ****, he's 31.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm happy to go with a "Calder eligible and below" cut off that says Pouliot isn't on this poll. But that's possible because I just don't want to be part of the inevitable argument.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

I'm not expecting him to garner votes until later on. The ship has pretty much sailed on his future here.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I think once your ELC has expired, you should no longer be considered a prospect.

Problem with this is you can have an 18 year old signing their ELC on the same team as a 25 year-old on their ELC. A European skater could theoretically be off their ELC before reaching the NHL (I wouldn't be surprised if Kostin does this with St. Louis, going to the AHL as an 18 year-old instead of at 20).

Last edited:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Problem with this is you can have an 18 year old signing their ELC on the same team as a 25 year-old on their ELC. A European skater could theoretically be off their ELC before reaching the NHL (I wouldn't be surprised if Kostin does this with St. Louis, going to the AHL as an 18 year-old instead of at 20).

Seems a lot easier to make exceptions to that rule (if needed). Than to discuss individually whether a handful of players should be considered a prospect or not every year. I don't think we need to discuss how much potential Pouliot has but isn't coming close to reaching for a sixth year anyways. We'll likely end up right here again, having the same discussion if we do.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm happy to go with a "Calder eligible and below" cut off that says Pouliot isn't on this poll. But that's possible because I just don't want to be part of the inevitable argument.

This is how it should be anyway. No longer eligible for the Calder? No longer a prospect.

I mean, wouldn't Guentzel still be considered a prospect by HF standards?

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I voted Sprong, but I'm surprised to see Jarry doesn't have more than 2 votes compared to 130 for Sprong. Obviously Sprong is more important for us (since we already have Murray) but Jarry has legit starting goalie potential.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Calling this one early. It was already over 2 hours in but I'll always leave a poll up for at least 24 hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad