Votes: 181 57.8%
  • Makar now

Votes: 112 35.8%
  • Even Steven

Votes: 20 6.4%

• Total voters

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I think it’s closer than some on either side think. We don’t know if Makar is peak yet but he’s already insanely good and well rounded his game last year.

Far as comparing points, is worth noting Karlsson in his prime pretty much player several more minutes a game, that’s more opportunities as well

And team context I’ve said similar comparing Makar and Josi last season. If a Dman is on a more shallow team he’ll more likely get huge minutes and or play more risky/aggressively (sacrifice defense to whatever degree) and get more scoring opportunity if his team decides to run the offense through him primarily.

eg I don’t doubt Makar could have scored more last season if he played the way Josi played. His 5v5 scoring pace wasn’t drastically worse than Josi though he played the equivalent of 6 fewer games (the actual missed games plus less 5v5 and more PK)

His team also definitely doesn’t run the offense through him disproportionately to a number of great forwards they have. That likely plays into his defensive impact as he often makes smart plays and gets back. Teammate qualify can be overstated some as while he might get more opportunity for secondaries, he could just as easily have points cannibalized if his great play is followed by three more and he’s back on the point.

The game was fairly different in Karlssons prime but I really don’t see how people think he was drastically better than current Makar, other than nostalgia influence as it had been some time before Karlsson since we had seen a defenseman combine skating and scoring like that at that level. There was a “wow” factor more unique than now

Last edited:
Reactions: Mules and authentic

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Imagine prime Karlsson on some of these Avs teams.... LMFAO! Too bad he got injured now everyone just thinks less of him. Makar may pass him in time but prime Karlsson was something else.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad