Votes: 181 57.8%
  • Makar now

Votes: 112 35.8%
  • Even Steven

Votes: 20 6.4%

• Total voters

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Better team has nothing to do with individual defending. Not only Makar has a better point production season over PPG, and more goals than Karlsson's best season, Makar is also a better defender than Karlsson was. Karlsson's offensive game was elite, but his defense was bellow average
They are both offensive D men. Makar with way better support cast.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
dont know how this can be gauged but one of them had an all star team and the other had the Ottawa Senators. Ive never defended Karlsson before but Makars Avalanche was infinitely better then any team Karlsson had to work with.
Ottawa (smart coaching) developed the 1-3-1 around Karlsson to play to his strengths and the rest of the team did their role. Similar to NYI the sum of the parts were impactful despite not having the talent. Frustrating teams to play against no doubt.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Rick Nash's Prime > Sidney Crosby's Prime

Rick Nash played for a really bad team and had no supporting cast. Crosby played with elite talent like Malkin, Fleury, Letang, Kessel, ect... Who did Rick Nash play with? Therefore, Rick Nash had a superior prime.

Nash have hardly been ppg for a season. He had no arguments against Crosby. He didnt really perform on a good Rangers team in his first years there.

Karlsson produced on another level offensively than Makar have done so far when compared to the league scoring. Not saying Makar wont reach that as he might have another level. Also he is probably a little better defensively than prime Karlsson(if you watch Karlsson when he took Ottawa to the Conference final game 7 he played all zones).

Overall Makar will be the better defenceman as he plays better defence more consistently than Karlsson. Karlsson have had his periods where he played solid there aswell, but for a lot of his career he was to weak and played with to much risk. Still he is an once behind offensively, but he can definetely reach it in time. He is still young after all.

Reactions: Xirik

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The being on a bad team excuse is nonsense. Bourque played on bunch of bad Bruins teams but he was still the best d-man in the league and he was still playing awesome D, putting up tons of points and being a plus player

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
The biggest difference between Prime Karlsson and Makar right now is their mindset. Karlsson knew he was the best player on the team and had to do everything. Makar knows he doesn't have to be that guy every night.

Makar has every ability to be the total difference maker that Karlsson was but he doesn't need to. Watch Makar play for the Brooks Bandits and UMASS Amherst and compare that to what Karlsson did because those teams were led by the two defenseman.

Karlsson was amazing for a short period of time and Makar will outlast him because of the team he is on but either way these two are beasts.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The biggest difference between Prime Karlsson and Makar right now is their mindset. Karlsson knew he was the best player on the team and had to do everything. Makar knows he doesn't have to be that guy every night.

Makar has every ability to be the total difference maker that Karlsson was but he doesn't need to. Watch Makar play for the Brooks Bandits and UMASS Amherst and compare that to what Karlsson did because those teams were led by the two defenseman.

Karlsson was amazing for a short period of time and Makar will outlast him because of the team he is on but either way these two are beasts.
Makar completely turned that UMass program around singlehandedly. They went from the depths of hell in Hockey East of D1 to being one of the premier college programs in the entire nation and won a national title post-Makar. He played a big role in that program's recovery and rise.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Erik Karlsson was a heck of a player, but here’s a post popping off about him vs. Makar, when Erik hasn’t won a f*****g thing in this league. He could go down as a player, being one of the better players in our league never to win anything.
Norris x2 is definitely more than nothing.

The cup is a team award, players on crappy teams don't win one no matter what they do.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What? Bourque is the 2nd best Dman ever. How is Karlsson (or anyone) not being able to replicate him a negative?
We're comparing Makar and Karlsson and my point is, Makar can still play good enough defense on a bad team and not be a minus player, taking care of his shift, not getting scored on that often, where Karlsson often was bad defensively that's why he had minus 25, 18, 15 etc.. seasons. I watched plenty of Karlsson in his prime, the guy was elite offensive, but too many times he sacrificed defense to score points, made a lot of mistakes defensively

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
idk about team strength but devon toews is like 10 times better than anyone karlsson ever had as a d partner so that has to be taken into account

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I voted Makar because well .... I love him
But seriously I just think Makar is better overall

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think it’s almost too close to call but I really think at his best I have to give the edge to Karlsson.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Stop getting angry over over split straws. They are pretty close and if one is only half a % point better then who really gives a damn!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad