PC Building Guide and Discussion #10

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm just thinking... the market needs another Cyrix. Things were interesting while they were around, and it definitely helped to lower prices.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Bought some more of the same ram. If it works, sweet. If it doesn't I'll find the problem elsewhere and have 16GB when I finally do fix it.

I'm beginning to fear a bent socket pin from the move. Would explain how erratic my errors have been.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
3840 x 2160 on 27"
144 Hz G-sync
HDR with 1,000cd/m² maximum brightness and 384 zone local dimming backlight
Quantum dot IPS panel with DCI-P3 color space

ASUS PG27UQ

pg27uq-front.jpg

The dream is alive ladies and gentlemen. Alive and well. 4k IPS 144hz!

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
It ended up being a bent pin. Took it down to my guy at the repair shop and he said that it was in the memory area of the socket so it makes sense. He managed to straighten the pin but no luck. I'll see if Gigabyte will replace with warranty, because it's almost impossible to find any of the Z97m boards anymore. If not my best bet is a H87m. I'll just have to live with nothe being able to OC my 4690k anymore.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
ASUS PG27UQ

pg27uq-front.jpg

The dream is alive ladies and gentlemen. Alive and well. 4k IPS 144hz!

Why does 'gaming' in PCMR always seemingly equate to ugly ass red LED's and angular designs?

They're like the 'speed holes' of computing, but they just make them look cheap IMO, even though they're generally expensive.

That's why I like the more understated laptops from Razer.

That monitor is fine otherwise.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Okay finally starting to hit bottleneck on my GTX 680.

If I try to play a game, for example Dark Souls 2, in 4k on my TV while playing a movie in 1080p on my Monitor the frame-rate dives to unplayable at 4k.

Not looking at upgrade yet but is there a single GPU that can handle multi-display 4k res yet? Cheers.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Gigabyte GA-78LMT Motherboard

Hey guys!

I have the motherboard listed... My other specs are

AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 4,0ghz CPU
Radeon HD 7700 GFX Card
8 GD Corsair Ram

I know my CPU sucks and is old! My GFX card seems to hold up, I put a lot of research into which to buy and ended up with that one, seems to be ok still. Ram is ram.. However with this MB I have no idea how modern I can make the CPU? What would be the best/fastest one I could install with gaming in mind? I usually play older titles but a newer one..

Escape from Tarkov has be very interested. Any advice would be appreciated!

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Here is your CPU support list:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4305

If you're looking to upgrade, I'd look at the Vishera processors... I'm not convinced that you would necessarily get much in the way of gains by doing so - Sniperhf might have a more informed opinion though.

Edit: To clarify - you can up the cores to 6 or 8... but unless you're doing a lot of multitasking, I'm not sure that the extra cores will do much for you. I'm not sure if the Vishera cores are really all that much stronger than the Bulldozer cores. Vishera processors are cheap now though if you really want to give it a try - in which case, I'd maybe look at one of the faster 6 core Visheras, or one of the vaster 8 cores - I hope you have a good cooler though - these things run hot, and make a lot of noise without a good cooler.

Edit #2: After looking at Passmark single thread scores - I think you could maybe eek another 20 to 30% single threaded performance out of the system with a fast Vishera processor... so, it's not other-worldly, but it is significant - I'd still listen to Sniper if he weighs in, but if you're just looking for a cheap upgrade to squeeze more time out of your system, it may be doable.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
while playing a movie in 1080p on my Monitor the frame-rate dives to unplayable at 4k.

Not looking at upgrade yet but is there a single GPU that can handle multi-display 4k res yet? Cheers.

In gaming like eyefininty? No.

But just running a 1080p movie on a second display? I don't know for sure but I'd say any of the current modern middle end+ ones could probably do it. Not something a lot of reviewers check. Maybe someone around here with a 4k + another monitor can try it for you :P

Hey guys!

I have the motherboard listed... My other specs are

AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 4,0ghz CPU
Radeon HD 7700 GFX Card
8 GD Corsair Ram

I know my CPU sucks and is old! My GFX card seems to hold up, I put a lot of research into which to buy and ended up with that one, seems to be ok still. Ram is ram.. However with this MB I have no idea how modern I can make the CPU? What would be the best/fastest one I could install with gaming in mind? I usually play older titles but a newer one..

Escape from Tarkov has be very interested. Any advice would be appreciated!

Escape from Tarkov appears to have pretty modest requirements so you could probably run it as is now. But if you want to try and improve things what Kestrel said is basically right.

If you're looking to upgrade, I'd look at the Vishera processors... I'm not convinced that you would necessarily get much in the way of gains by doing so - Sniperhf might have a more informed opinion though.

Edit: To clarify - you can up the cores to 6 or 8... but unless you're doing a lot of multitasking,

Edit #2: After looking at Passmark single thread scores - I think you could maybe eek another 20 to 30% single threaded performance out of the system with a fast Vishera processor..

To me, it would depend a lot on what the prices are running in England. If you can pick up an FX 6300 for dirt cheap like you can here? I'd probably think about it. Anything more expensive like a 8350/8370? I'd just aim at getting a new i3/motherboard.

But even with only having an FX 4100, I'd prioritize a graphics card upgrade first. The HD 7700 was a lower end rebadge when released.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

But just running a 1080p movie on a second display? I don't know for sure but I'd say any of the current modern middle end+ ones could probably do it. Not something a lot of reviewers check. Maybe someone around here with a 4k + another monitor can try it for you :P

That would be nice but really I want to next upgrade when a single GPU can handle minimum two 4k or better screens.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Here is your CPU support list:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4305

Edit: To clarify - you can up the cores to 6 or 8... but unless you're doing a lot of multitasking, I'm not sure that the extra cores will do much for you. I'm not sure if the Vishera cores are really all that much stronger than the Bulldozer cores. Vishera processors are cheap now though if you really want to give it a try - in which case, I'd maybe look at one of the faster 6 core Visheras, or one of the vaster 8 cores - I hope you have a good cooler though - these things run hot, and make a lot of noise without a good cooler.

Edit #2: After looking at Passmark single thread scores - I think you could maybe eek another 20 to 30% single threaded performance out of the system with a fast Vishera processor... so, it's not other-worldly, but it is significant - I'd still listen to Sniper if he weighs in, but if you're just looking for a cheap upgrade to squeeze more time out of your system, it may be doable.

Escape from Tarkov appears to have pretty modest requirements so you could probably run it as is now. But if you want to try and improve things what Kestrel said is basically right.

To me, it would depend a lot on what the prices are running in England. If you can pick up an FX 6300 for dirt cheap like you can here? I'd probably think about it. Anything more expensive like a 8350/8370? I'd just aim at getting a new i3/motherboard.

But even with only having an FX 4100, I'd prioritize a graphics card upgrade first. The HD 7700 was a lower end rebadge when released.

Wow thanks guys!

Interesting that I may be able to run Tarkov already, seen as its only in the Alpha build it should get more optimised over time too, so thats promising!

Regading the CPU. A FX 6300 IS £112 and a FX 8320 is only £124! Surely it'd be better to get the new version?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Regading the CPU. A FX 6300 IS £112 and a FX 8320 is only £124! Surely it'd be better to get the new version?

Despite the naming, both came out around the same time. The FX 6300 has 6 "cores" and the FX 8320 has 8. Most likely you wouldn't notice any performance difference between them since very few games actually use 8 threads. For just a few bucks more I wouldn't fault anyone for getting the 8 core FX 8320 though.

Unfortunately it doesn't have the 8320, but the 8350 isn't much different. But it does go all the way down to your old FX-4100.

Here's a handy chart of one of the most CPU intensive games:
s6_proz_11.png

Also I suggest that if you do get a 8320/6300, update your motherboards BIOS before doing so. This might actually be a little complicated because there are a lot of different motherboard revisions out there in some cases. So you might have to figure out which exact one you have. I can probably help you if you aren't sure.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Wow thanks guys!

Interesting that I may be able to run Tarkov already, seen as its only in the Alpha build it should get more optimised over time too, so thats promising!

I would say that Sniper is probably right about your video card... he's generally far more aware of the video cards, present and past, than I am. It doesn't hurt to do CPU AND video card if you're wanting to - as the video card, you can always put it in your next system too. Just depends on your budget, but yeah, those CPU's would probably get a little more life out of your system, especially if you're not planning on 4K gaming for awhile.

I'm no expert though - if Sniper disagrees with me, he spends a lot more timing keeping current than I do.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
sold my 1070 to pay rent, running on my brothers old GT630

pity me for I am a mere mortal once more D:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Hope you get the finances straitened out soo :nod:. Your IGP might be faster than the GT 630, I'm not kidding.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Hope you get the finances straitened out soo :nod:. Your IGP might be faster than the GT 630, I'm not kidding.

yeah should only be temporary.

its definitely faster than my on board but thats not saying much. sucks to have some of the games I play all the time be unplayable. im pretty much having to replay a bunch of retro style games while I wait

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I'm gobsmacked at how quickly matx 1150 socket motherboards went up in price. Struggling to decide on a replacement that fits my needs and doesn't break the bank. I've budgeted $150nz including shipping because local stores don't have squat anymore. Z97 ain't happening so I'm hoping to find a good H97 board.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
How about Z87? Personally I wouldn't be afraid of hitting up ebay either and just buying used. Probably worth the risk vs having to upgrade entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad