PC Building Guide and Discussion #10

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Yep if you maybe want to play blu rays or something, which are the next thing to go... I still use an old dvd burner once in a while for CD's for the car, but even that's probably passé for most people now.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Hmm, I thought I might be able to put the PC together, but I don't think I can. I feel a bit overwhelmed. I think I should get someone who is more tech savvy to help me out.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Hmm, I thought I might be able to put the PC together, but I don't think I can. I feel a bit overwhelmed. I think I should get someone who is more tech savvy to help me out.

Do you have the parts already? If you're really not comfortable doing it, getting someone there to help may be the best thing... otherwise, someone in this thread can probably lead you through it, it's not that difficult - just scary the first time.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Do you have the parts already? If you're really not comfortable doing it, getting someone there to help may be the best thing... otherwise, someone in this thread can probably lead you through it, it's not that difficult - just scary the first time.

Yeah, I have all my parts now. The last piece I was waiting on was the motherboard.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This video is pretty good:

It's pretty hard to permanently mess stuff up even if you get something wrong.

Mainly just be careful with the CPU pins on the motherboard and make sure there's no loose screws or something under the motherboard.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm watching that video and at the beginning putting the CPU into the thing and it fits fine. I put the indicators where they needed to go. Every time I try to close the hatch it feels like there's alot of tension.

edit: apparently that's normal but I just want to be sure.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm watching that video and at the beginning putting the CPU into the thing and it fits fine. I put the indicators where they needed to go. Every time I try to close the hatch it feels like there's alot of tension.

I'm obviously not there to see or gauge the tension - there should be some tension. I'd double check the CPU seating... maybe pull it back out, and put it back in, just to make sure it is seated level, and try again. If it's some tension, that's fine... if you're starting to worry that you're going to bend or snap things, that's obviously not good.

Go with your gut, don't force anything - but I'm guessing it's a case of nerves, because this is your first time, and you're afraid of messing it up.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah, I have all my parts now. The last piece I was waiting on was the motherboard.
Try get the motherboard in. Then focus on the power cables to the motherboard and obviously plug in the ram. After that the trickiest thing is the case's usb/led plugs whitish don't even really matter much but can be a pain in the ass - you can get it going without those. If you don't jam anything in you won't hurt anything.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
If you have to put your cpu into the motherboard just watch a YouTube video. It's a lot easier to apply the thermal paste and plug it in than it sounds.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah, it worked. Feel more comfortable now.

Good. Now - one thing that is VERY common with a first time builder is, that they will get everything put into place, but when they go to start the computer, nothing displays.

If that happens to you, just calmly go back, check all the cables that need to be plugged in. It's not uncommon to miss a cable to the motherboard, or to miss a power cable to your video card. Even as an experienced builder, I do it once in awhile.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm still putting everything into place. I'm trying to put the motherboard in the case. It's an ATX motherboard so it should fit int he ATX, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The most common thing that makes boards slightly off the case stanchions in my experience is the I/O plate where all the USBs and other ports are.

Push the board slightly toward that. In some cases you may even need to hold it there while you screw a few points down.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I second what Sniper is saying. Often, the IO plate will have some cushioning to it - that can be enough to throw the board off, and you need to apply (some) pressure to compress that cushioning.

See if you can get one mounting hole in place, then when you have it secured, manipulate the board to get the others lined up.

May 27, 2012
Earth
The screws aren't working. They pop out of place for some reason. It doesn't feel like it's tightening at all when I put them in and start turning. I'm checking if there are any other screws, but the ones I'm using are the ones that should work,

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I finally decided I wanted more than 256GB of space, so I ordered a 500GB 960 Evo.

Because, you know...reasons.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
The screws aren't working. They pop out of place for some reason. It doesn't feel like it's tightening at all when I put them in and start turning. I'm checking if there are any other screws, but the ones I'm using are the ones that should work,

Maybe try screwing them into the standoffs without the motherboard in place - that way you can be sure if it is the screws themselves, or if something else is creating the problem.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012

edit: apparently that's normal but I just want to be sure.

The first time you build you find out you have to apply a lot more tension than you think is needed. Some RAM requires tons of force to clip in I scraped a thin layer of plastic off of my RAM clips while clipping them in because the fit was so tight. Motherboard and CPU wiring can require a fair amount of force, so does putting the CPU in.

You really have to push the IO shield in, and possibly have to apply some force to the far side of the motherboard to get the screw opposite of the IO shield lined up. Just remember not to screw things in too tightly.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012

Your case has built in stand offs?

Try screwing into the standoffs without the motherboard in the case so you can see what is happening. Your case won't have standoffs for every screw hole the motherboard has. You have to screw into the ones where a stand off is located, this might only be in 4-5 locations.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Yeah, they are built in stand offs. I was playing around with 2 different screws I had and one of them works, but I'm pretty sure it's for another piece. There are 9 holes where I have to screw them in. The ones that did work only had 4.

May 27, 2012
Earth
RuLwHOF.jpg

iKvfWfk.jpg

the screws in the bag work, but not the other ones.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
RuLwHOF.jpg

iKvfWfk.jpg

the screws in the bag work, but not the other ones.

That's weird. The screws you have with the hex heads SHOULD work. Did you at least manage to get your motherboard is in place?

If you can at least get it working, if you need to, you can order screws and standoffs on the cheap, and fix it later. Those standoffs... are they actually built in, or are they removable? It's hard to tell for sure by the picture, but they look like they could be removable brass standoffs. If so, and there's more places to screw them into the case, you can set up the standoffs how you prefer them, to match with your motherboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad