Prospect Info: Pavel Zacha

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The way Pavel is playing has such a downstream effect on Zajac and Nico.

Depth is what allows everybody to look good and do what they do best (Nico: hockeying, Zajac: defense).

Reactions: My3Sons

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
last night was exactly the kind of goal he’s needed to score. he took his chance, made a good accurate shot on goal from a little far out. hopefully it has the same kind of effect as nicos had and encourages him to be more aggressive with his shot

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
last night was exactly the kind of goal he’s needed to score. he took his chance, made a good accurate shot on goal from a little far out. hopefully it has the same kind of effect as nicos had and encourages him to be more aggressive with his shot

Exactly. That’s a play a 6 pick has to take and score on. Good job

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The way Pavel is playing has such a downstream effect on Zajac and Nico.

Depth is what allows everybody to look good and do what they do best (Nico: hockeying, Zajac: defense).
Zajac actually has 7 points in his last 8, playing with pretty traditional bottom 6 guys(Wood is more then that but still that style).

So I think it's not so much being allowed to focus on D, but a)not playing ALL the tough minutes vs opposing top lines and b)meshing better with gritty players at this point in his career. He can't really play a finesse puck moving game anymore, just go out there and grind em up.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
pretty much agree completely - he still has more offensive talent than a regular grinder but it's much more suited to his style of play. it's the perfect role for him finally

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
pretty much agree completely - he still has more offensive talent than a regular grinder but it's much more suited to his style of play. it's the perfect role for him finally
And that's what has made him effective in that 3rd line role. Plus having speed on his wings, whether it was Gibbons, or Coleman, or Wood.

So back to original point, I agree having Zacha step up and play a capable 2nd line center has given benefits to other spots in the lineup.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think PZ is still in a precarious spot in his development. They need to let him stay with complimentary players right now rather than asking him to pick up someone else’s game. I’m thinking that may be what they are doing with Bratt right now. I’d still prefer PZ play with Wood and his style which seems to push PZ a bit to be more assertive and to move his feet to keep up (which to my untrained eye it looks like he can do when he’s just playing and not thinking about it). As I said in the other thread and as someone pointed out, the RW spots with Palms and Bratt can be interchangeable right now. It’s the Hall Nico and Wood PZ combos that can make the team move.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
PZ is a power forward, that his style, those types take longer to develop. You can see a change in his board work, his ability to use his size and strength has also improved a lot, so has his drive and never taking a shift off mentality. Once that all becomes second nature the offense will come out even more. This kid already makes some great tape to tape passes that maybe only 1 or 2 other players on this team could pull off.

I do hope that his goal last night gives him the confidence that he needs to use his shot more. He has had so many close goals this year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
PZ is a power forward, that his style, those types take longer to develop. You can see a change in his board work, his ability to use his size and strength has also improved a lot, so has his drive and never taking a shift off mentality. Once that all becomes second nature the offense will come out even more. This kid already makes some great tape to tape passes that maybe only 1 or 2 other players on this team could pull off.

I do hope that his goal last night gives him the confidence that he needs to use his shot more. He has had so many close goals this year.
I see Wood more as a power fwd, Lucic, or Wayne Simmonds. Semantics but Zacha has more skill and skating then what I think of as a PF.

He certainly has big man elements in his game, but I see him as a pretty traditional C. Big, smart, 2 way game. He's more skilled and a smoother skater, but he has a lot of Zajac in him.

Reactions: Blackjack

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
at what point can one accept he is a bust?
"he is young" "kesler"
get out of here.
I will buy everyone here who wants to meet up a beer if he scores 3 more goals this year.

this kid is weak willed. he complains to his agent about playtime, while still on his rookie contract. that's not someone I have any respect for. I'm not a rocket surgeon, but doesn't good play = more playing time? kid stinks like **** and some people will overlook it because "young".

Man burning the 6 pick on zacha really hurt this team. Maybe Shero can fleece someone like he did with hall.

I didn’t like the pick when it was made and still don’t.

He’s an important part of the team the way Josefson was. He’s a bust, which is clear to anyone with a pair of eyes and who has the ability to count. He’s a top six pick who cannot score goals or help other players score goals.

If he were any good, he would, y’know, help the team win games. Eventually the, he’s only [fill in age] stops working.

Man, does David Conte suck.

just a few of the good ones

I also believe Mr. Pumpkinmoose owes everyone a beer. Get your wallet out sir

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
PZ looking better every game since the scratches. I definitely wrote him off to soon, I still am not sure if he becomes a top line quality guy though.

Do you guys think he is a C longterm?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
PZ looking better every game since the scratches. I definitely wrote him off to soon, I still am not sure if he becomes a top line quality guy though.

Do you guys think he is a C longterm?

He seems to play better at C IMO. No reason he can’t stick there either as Boyle is only here one more year and Zajac will be on the last legs of his contract.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
In regards to the Zacha bust crowd, I believe there were some Josefson comparisons thrown out too. I don't think much more needs to be said about that.

This has been the best stretch we've seen out of him which confirms that the potential is there. Now it's just a matter of keeping this level of play going consistently and more importantly staying in the right frame of mind.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
lol that's the biggest backfire of a bet I've seen on this board.
Obviously wasn’t posting back then but didnt someone bet that the Russian center we had for a hot second back in the PDB days would break 50 points or they wouldn’t post ever again? That was pretty bad.

And go Zacha! Love to see the rookies rise up during the final stretch!

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Im loving Zacha as 2C. Wonder where McLeod will fit eventually...

If McLeod can be a second liner he takes center from Zacha because he is better at faceoffs im pretty sure

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Obviously wasn’t posting back then but didnt someone bet that the Russian center we had for a hot second back in the PDB days would break 50 points or they wouldn’t post ever again? That was pretty bad.

And go Zacha! Love to see the rookies rise up during the final stretch!

yes, that was PSEGPowerplay betting me that Loktionov would hit 50 points. We know how that turned out.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Im loving Zacha as 2C. Wonder where McLeod will fit eventually...

If McLeod can be a second liner he takes center from Zacha because he is better at faceoffs im pretty sure
Face offs are a relatively small part of the center equation.

Imo Zacha is a clear cut center. Don't know enough about McLeod yet, but given our shortage of RW's I could see him starting his NHL career there.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Also very happy to see Pavel doing this all at center. Him playing well is great, but it's sweeter to see him do it at the position we need him in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad