DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
@pumpkinmoose

beer.jpg

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Also very happy to see Pavel doing this all at center. Him playing well is great, but it's sweeter to see him do it at the position we need him in.
If McLeod can be as defensively responsible Id like to see Zacha on RW be our Hossa - off-side sniper who is defensively strong and big bodied

Just my preference though

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If McLeod can be as defensively responsible Id like to see Zacha on RW be our Hossa - off-side sniper who is defensively strong and big bodied

Just my preference though

Zacha's game is just suited for center though, in my opinion. He plays well down low in supporting our defensemen, and the past month we've seen how quick hands and passing can help the breakout. He's a center through and through. Having Mikey batting clean-up as the 3rd line center would be incredible. That's so much speed and skill down the middle, it would be tough to contain.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Love seeing Zacha shooting more. Getting closer but still much work to be done.

The only thing that worries me, and worried me earlier in the season when we saw some rumblings about his mental coach of sorts, is that we've seen what can happen when he gets into a rut mentally. There are a lot of guys who have the skill but have stuff impacting them mentally that hinder them from reaching their full capability.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Mcleod has a long way to go personally.
I agree, but if he plays with enough aggression, I could see him having Wood like success. Wood of coarse had a long ways to go as well.

Not sure if McLeod can play with Wood like aggression though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The only thing that worries me, and worried me earlier in the season when we saw some rumblings about his mental coach of sorts, is that we've seen what can happen when he gets into a rut mentally. There are a lot of guys who have the skill but have stuff impacting them mentally that hinder them from reaching their full capability.
From a mental aspect he's very young and you'd hope that the organization can give him an environment where he can thrive and be himself. Sure do with we had someone like Scott Stevens in this organization. Jason Arnott had a lot of issues when he came to New Jersey and he got a support system that allowed him to thrive.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
From a mental aspect he's very young and you'd hope that the organization can give him an environment where he can thrive and be himself. Sure do with we had someone like Scott Stevens in this organization. Jason Arnott had a lot of issues when he came to New Jersey and he got a support system that allowed him to thrive.

For sure, cannot ignore that aspect.

"When time is on your side you use it". And that we have with his age.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I agree, but if he plays with enough aggression, I could see him having Wood like success. Wood of coarse had a long ways to go as well.

Not sure if McLeod can play with Wood like aggression though.
Wood is different in that he just didn't have the pedigree and expirience. Wood was raw as raw could be. Im not sure that is the case with Mcleod?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wood is different in that he just didn't have the pedigree and expirience. Wood was raw as raw could be. Im not sure that is the case with Mcleod?
But I think there is room on the team for guys who are fast and skate hard. Especially since he is a righty.

Yes they are different players, and I'm pretty certain McLeod will not be as fast, nor play with the same reckless abandon, but I figure he will bring things to the table which Wood did not.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
But I think there is room on the team for guys who are fast and skate hard. Especially since he is a righty.

Yes they are different players, and I'm pretty certain McLeod will not be as fast, nor play with the same reckless abandon, but I figure he will bring things to the table which Wood did not.
The way this league is going if you are fast you'll always have an opportunity. I'm just not sold on his overall skill set in terms of being a top 6 forward.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The way this league is going if you are fast you'll always have an opportunity. I'm just not sold on his overall skill set in terms of being a top 6 forward.
Ya, but very possible he'd be a 3rd line RW.

But who knows, also very possible he's in Bing.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh

I’m sold on his tools, not on his toolbox per se. He has the shot, skating, size, speed, defensive awareness, offensive instincts, etc. He just can’t always put it together. I don’t think it’s an IQ issue like I used to, he knows the game pretty well I think. A lot of it is confidence now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’m sold on his tools, not on his toolbox per se. He has the shot, skating, size, speed, defensive awareness, offensive instincts, etc. He just can’t always put it together. I don’t think it’s an IQ issue like I used to, he knows the game pretty well I think. A lot of it is confidence now.
He doesn't have the shot his shot is probably his worse attribute

His IQ does seem on the low side...but on the IQ, it's not unusual to see fast guys need some time for their game to catch up to their speed. So maybe that is what I was seeing. I don't know?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
he only needs to be a 3c to be a valuable piece of this team with nico and zacha keeping this up

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
but i wouldn't be surprised if he spends time in binghamton, it would probably be for the best

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
A lot less pressure on McLeod that's for sure. Imagine if we didn't have Nico and Zacha made zero progress from the start of the season. What we would need from Mikey compared to now? Huge difference.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think it all has to do with his confidence being up. He is carrying the puck for longer too now instead of looking to get rid of it right away. Have to believe the coaching staff has helped him get to this point from earlier in the season where he seemed to lack confidence.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If Nico and Zacha stay consistent and McLeod even half-delivers on his skillset, that's pretty much the ideal center depth from a cap perspective.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
A strong legitimate top 6 center to go along with Hall, Hischier and Bratt is transformational. Zacha becoming a core piece turn this team into something very very good.

Who are the other two wingers going to be? Palmieri and Wood?

Ideally, I think those two play on the third line and surround McLeod. Johansson is scrambled eggs at this point, don't know if he'll ever be a key piece for us.

Assuming Mueller develops into a steady defender and they get Santini back on track, 2nd line wingers are the last piece I see this team needing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad