Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's season 2 for both Buch and Skjei. I'm going to give each of them one more under a new head coach before I lower their ceilings to 2nd liner and 2nd pairing, respectively.

Buch needs some guys he can click with. He seems like the kind of player than needs chemistry rather than provides it.

Reactions: haveandare

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's season 2 for both Buch and Skjei. I'm going to give each of them one more under a new head coach before I lower their ceilings to 2nd liner and 2nd pairing, respectively.

Buch needs some guys he can click with. He seems like the kind of player than needs chemistry rather than provides it.

He's already producing like a first line forward, if you consider how little he plays, so why would you lower his ceiling? He nearly produces like a first liner with low 3rd line TOI. He's going to hit 50 points for an 82 game season playing only 15 minutes per game. With normal ice time for his production, thats 60+ points easily.

You are right, needs players he can click with, like most players. Why did our coach move him off a line he plays great on?

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
He's already producing like a first line forward, if you consider how little he plays, so why would you lower his ceiling? He nearly produces like a first liner with low 3rd line TOI. He's going to hit 50 points for an 82 game season playing only 15 minutes per game. With normal ice time for his production, thats 60+ points easily.

You are right, needs players he can click with, like most players. Why did our coach move him off a line he plays great on?

I think you can actually start to forget how little ice time he sees (relative to his production) because when he gets decent minutes he's usually on the top line. Easy to forget he has been punted to the bottom six many a time and then lament his production.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I bet his Corsi is real high though.

Imo you ride this top line until it cools off or until it appears that Fast is a passenger on it. No need to break it up now - if you can have a top line where a bottom 6 guy plays well in one of the spots, that lets you put a top 6 guy down the lineup and gives you good depth.

Having said that, Buch is in a rut right now but the answer isn't to play with with Vesey and McLeod. He's an extremely talented player but he needs talent to work with like all but a handful of guys.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's played recent games with Vesey, Namestnikov and even McLeod, yet certain people have the audacity to question his production. :facepalm:

Don't some of you ever learn a lesson? This has happened all season and did so last season as well. If need be, I can go back and check which ones advocated to play Glass instead during the playoffs.

He plays well with other skilled players. Playing him with grinders is asking for him to not play well, but why would you want one of your best players to play well? There are a handful or two NHL'ers you could put with utterly unproductive scorers and they'd still reach their normal production.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like Buchnevich but I honestly have to question whether some of you completely absolve him of any responsibility or just blame everyone but him for his play.

You open his thread to make fun of him with a complete straw man, but we are supposed to believe you like him?

Were you one of those who preferred Glass in the playoffs last season and then you liked Buchnevich when he produced as soon as he got a semi-consistent spot? I can check this, if you want to be dishonest about it.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
You open his thread to make fun of him with a complete straw man, but we are supposed to believe you like him?

Were you one of those who preferred Glass in the playoffs last season and then you liked Buchnevich when he produced as soon as he got a semi-consistent spot? I can check this, if you want to be dishonest about it.

Yes I like him. I like whoever wears the Ranger sweater.

No I wasn't an advocate for Glass over him in the playoffs.

But I don't like that no one lays any responsiblity on him for his play. Just blame AV or his linemates.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Yes I like him. I like whoever wears the Ranger sweater.

No I wasn't an advocate for Glass over him in the playoffs.

But I don't like that no one lays any responsiblity on him for his play. Just blame AV or his linemates.
He is producing and he is not a liability on the defensive side. I'm not saying that he should be given the Fast spot right now, but there is absolutely no reason to give Vesey, Namestnikov better linemates and more ice time.
Do you really think he should play on the 4th line with McLeod? Only AV thinks this is a good idea, but that is expected, what can you say about an idiot that put your better defensive center, who is really come out this season, on the wing just to accomodate a rookie?

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
He doesn't get a lot of minutes because he's lazy, plays no defense, is soft, never wins puck battles and looks like he doesn't care half the time. Trade bait during the draft. Not who I want on this team going forward.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I’m actually at the point where watching Buchnevich makes me ill. He’s useless scared and invisible.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Even with Buchnevich looking a little off the last couple games he has 42 points in 68 games this season. In his second year in the NHL. He just got off a nice streak of 7 assists in 4 games. Does he look a bit disinterested at times? Sure. But its hard to find motivation when you're playing with mediocre teammates with no hope for the playoffs. Not sure why people like to crap on him and open this thread when he has a couple off games. Doesn't hit much? So what. His forechecking, speed, defensive awareness and passing have all improved this year. Look forward to seeing him under a real coach next year

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
its amazing that everyone thinks a player will never get better as he gets older.....we are talking about a kid in his 2nd season in the nhl here

at no point though should he EVER be playing with cody f***ing mcleod on the fourth line, hes a black hole over there and last night buch and namestnikov gave him passes that he just couldnt handle

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Buch has a weird face. I'd keep him on the team just for his facial expressions.

Moves need to be made in the offseason that further nurture the development of young guys like Buch and the teenagers. These guys need to play a lot of minutes and get thrown some important minutes as well if we want to see them progress. If this doesn't happen, then this isn't much of a rebuild.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Buch seems to be overthinking and reacting instead of followings his instincts and being assertive in his handling the puck. He also seems gun shy of taking the puck to dangerous physical and scoring areas, which I think will improve over the off season. He’s still figuring out how to be successful without getting laid out too often, which is important to learn now before it’s too late...

Oh and more importantly, Buch + Leno = Human sized chin

Reactions: TheTakedown

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Buch seems to be overthinking and reacting instead of followings his instincts and being assertive in his handling the puck. He also seems gun shy of taking the puck to dangerous physical and scoring areas, which I think will improve over the off season. He’s still figuring out how to be successful without getting laid out too often, which is important to learn now before it’s too late...

Oh and more importantly, Buch + Leno = Human sized chin
Big thing for me is he needs to move his feet more. He has good escapability but often he just accepts the defenseman is going to dictate how much time he has to give it up instead of creating some room for himself and making that decision on his own time.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He was definitely more on the puck against the Caps than in other recent games. Things started to turn around for him, more motivation or just because of quality of opponents his line faced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad