Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was good yesterday. He hasn't been great recently, but yesterday was one of his best games of late.

He got his second most minutes of the season yesterday. One thing Pasha has shown in his career is enormous splits in his points when he plays more than 16 minutes and less than 16 minutes. When he plays more than 16 minutes, he has 17 points in 19 games. When he doesn't, he has 30 points in 66 games. And that 30 in 66 includes some stretches where he didn't play 16 in a two game stretch or played under 10 a number of games in a row, so that second split isn't that bad, but he has shown when he plays pretty much top 6 minutes, he averages near a point per game. 165 forwards in the NHL play more than 16:00 per game, which is about 5.32 forwards per team. A little under 6, but more than a team's 5 best forwards should be playing that amount per game, yet he has only played that 19 times in his career. And he has shown when he does play it, he's near 1PPG.

Why is it so hard for this coach to give him 16 minutes per game? Nash plays 17:01 per game, and he barely produces at a third line rate.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He was good yesterday. He hasn't been great recently, but yesterday was one of his best games of late.

He got his second most minutes of the season yesterday. One thing Pasha has shown in his career is enormous splits in his points when he plays more than 16 minutes and less than 16 minutes. When he plays more than 16 minutes, he has 17 points in 19 games. When he doesn't, he has 30 points in 66 games. And that 30 in 66 includes some stretches where he didn't play 16 in a two game stretch or played under 10 a number of games in a row, so that second split isn't that bad, but he has shown when he plays pretty much top 6 minutes, he averages near a point per game. 165 forwards in the NHL play more than 16:00 per game, which is about 5.32 forwards per team. A little under 6, but more than a team's 5 best forwards should be playing that amount per game, yet he has only played that 19 times in his career. And he has shown when he does play it, he's near 1PPG.

Why is it so hard for this coach to give him 16 minutes per game? Nash plays 17:01 per game, and he barely produces at a third line rate.

Still tied for the team lead in p/60

(With David Desharnais of all people, who probably gets a little too much shit)

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Against the Hawks Buch definitely had one of his better games recently. Not surprisingly for a young player to go through ups and downs like this in his early career.

Another thing: make no mistake that NHL is watching him too and now opposition players are more aware of where he is and what he’s capable of if left with time and space, so they are playing him tighter and more physical, so now it’s time for Buch to adjust yet again.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Don't think thats part of AV's "sophisticated stats package." :laugh:

Desjarnais is a confounding cat. You look at him getting knocked off the puck or falling on his knees because of a feather touch, and you shake your head. Then you see him accumulating points somehow through 1 impact play/60 and managing to stay in the lineup every time he's in danger of becoming a 13th F because another player happens to get injured.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I thought the only two bright spots from that blackhawks game other than henrik continuing to be outstanding, were that zibanejad and buchnevich had their best games in weeks. hopefully AV seeing that was reason to reunite them.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I thought the only two bright spots from that blackhawks game other than henrik continuing to be outstanding, were that zibanejad and buchnevich had their best games in weeks. hopefully AV seeing that was reason to reunite them.
if this doesnt light a fire under miller then nothing will....hes been downright horrible

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
if this doesnt light a fire under miller then nothing will....hes been downright horrible

The constant line juggling can't be helping many of the forwards playing with different running mates game after game. For Miller, he's been moved not only across lines but between center and wing.

Reactions: trilobyte

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think he's out in the doghouse because he's a little disengaged on the boards, and slow to close the gap on the D on the forecheck and in the d-zone.

He'll adjust and be fine. They want him to be a complete player who can create his own chances and not rely on his skill and wait for things to come to him. Maybe the healthy scratch sends a message.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I hate defending AV, but is it possible you got cause and effect reversed? Maybe he gets more ice time when he produces.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I hate defending AV, but is it possible you got cause and effect reversed? Maybe he gets more ice time when he produces.

It probably is not all black and white as AV is known to screw up allocating ice time and certain players can "get lost in a shuffle) but I agree with SBNYR - Pav's ice time generally depend on his performance on a game-by-game basis.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Torts would call this whole thing "going through the process for a young player."

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
We'll have to see what the news is on Hayes, but if he is out for any extended time, AV has no choice but to put Buch back in the lineup with Miller slotting into the middle again.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

So AV is that good with managing ice time? I think you are giving a lot of credit to someone who has shown himself to be very bad in his coaching of the team the last few seasons.

When his minutes are the highest, he's obviously playing with the top players, first line, first PP, gets to play in OT. When his minutes are the lowest, the coach throws him on with Desharnais, Vesey, Carey, Nieves, Fast, etc, can't get any rhythm because he's barely playing, his line gets skipped, he'll be benched on his regular line then play the PP, won't play from like 5 minutes left in the game and then he's randomly tasked with the SO.

Put any player on the team in that situation, and I think you get similar types of splits.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm okay with him being a healthy scratch for JUST that game. Buch's play has fell off and maybe he needed a quick wake up call. With that said, i'll repeat that it better have been just for that one game.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I mean, AV scratched Zucc, and look what happened. Maybe he's trying the same approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln