Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
"Zucc's had a bad season."

Tied for 2nd on the team in points. 20 points in 25 games (best pace of his career...obviously small sample).

Yep. Real bad.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Buchnevich is on pace for a 65-66 point season.

big-stack-of-money.jpg

going to be hard to keep that pace up with 14min of ice-time

you guys are pretty deep on wing so it is what it is, my problem is him seeing zero 3 on 3 OT. Horrific

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
"Zucc's had a bad season."

Tied for 2nd on the team in points. 20 points in 25 games (best pace of his career...obviously small sample).

Yep. Real bad.

Do you watch any of the games?

Many have remarked that he does not look anywhere near the player that got him into the league. He looks lazy and undisciplined.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Zuccarello has looked more like his normal self for the 4-5 games.

He was pretty invisible for a long while before that though. The production during that time wasn't horrible, but he wasn't playing well.

Buchnevich has been much better than him.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I expected Buchnevich to be more productive this year. Got over his injury and physical issues and was working out all summer and came into camp in a great condition. He's an extremely skilled guy and I think within a year or two he might be our best forward.

On Zucc IMO he started slow but he's been a lot better lately. He's always in the running at the end of seasons for the Steven MacDonald award or the player's player award. There's a reason for that. He's smart, talented and tenacious and just a great personality. It would be impossible for me not to like him.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He looks like a good winger on a team with one really good center who he doesn't play with much.

Its more than that. I can accept that, but Zuccarello looks complacent. He's worked so hard to beat the odds and get to the NHL, but this season he looks like a bad attitude junior player, not a guy who's built a reputation as a reliable two way player who plays really hard. He coasts on the back check, he's taking some really bad penalties, and he extends shifts well beyond how long they should be. Its not just the offensive play that has been a problem, the offense has gotten better lately, its the whole game where he looks like a different player so far this season.

Its only 25 games, so its not a big issue, but so far this season he has not looked like Mats Zuccarello in just about every aspect of the game.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I love his game. He's one of our most talented players. I still however can't get over the fact I feel like I'm seen him beat a goalie with a straight on shot only a couple of times in his career. I know people say that his shot is his strength but I wish we'd see that more.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Its more than that. I can accept that, but Zuccarello looks complacent. He's worked so hard to beat the odds and get to the NHL, but this season he looks like a bad attitude junior player, not a guy who's built a reputation as a reliable two way player who plays really hard. He coasts on the back check, he's taking some really bad penalties, and he extends shifts well beyond how long they should be. Its not just the offensive play that has been a problem, the offense has gotten better lately, its the whole game where he looks like a different player so far this season.

Its only 25 games, so its not a big issue, but so far this season he has not looked like Mats Zuccarello in just about every aspect of the game.
Zucc Did NOT like playing with Nash and Hayes.. He knew that was killing his Offense. So he would stay out and cheat on defense

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Zucc Did NOT like playing with Nash and Hayes.. He knew that was killing his Offense. So he would stay out and cheat on defense
I dont know if he didnt like playing if those guys, but is a fact he wasnt good with them.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I love his game. He's one of our most talented players. I still however can't get over the fact I feel like I'm seen him beat a goalie with a straight on shot only a couple of times in his career. I know people say that his shot is his strength but I wish we'd see that more.

Thats a symptom of how he plays. He doesn't spam shots, he doesn't take many perimeter shots. He can beat a goalie when he does because he has a good release and a hard shot, he has a really good slap shot for a forward, but he's no Ovechkin or Tarasenko in approach.

A lot of his goals will come from in close, from nice passing plays with his line mates, he scores a lot of those "easy" goals, but they often happen because of the work him and his line mates have done to make them "easy goals" by beating the defense and goaltender initially and making it a tap in or open net situation..

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Seems like goalies are always making good saves on him. As said, probably partly because he picks his shots a bit and probably also a tad unlucky as well.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Seems like goalies are always making good saves on him. As said, probably partly because he picks his shots a bit and probably also a tad unlucky as well.
Scoring one on one with a NHL goalie is something he'll pick up on. Whether its quicker release or picking locations better. but i expect him to get used to that and start potting those goals

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Scoring one on one with a NHL goalie is something he'll pick up on. Whether its quicker release or picking locations better. but i expect him to get used to that and start potting those goals

I mean he still has 9 goals which is almost a 30 goal pace. If he actually started potting more goals just by straight beating the goalie 1 on 1 then he's probably a for sure 30 goal scorer and possibly more

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I mean he still has 9 goals which is almost a 30 goal pace. If he actually started potting more goals just by straight beating the goalie 1 on 1 then he's probably a for sure 30 goal scorer and possibly more
Yea he definitely has that potential with his vision away from the puck.. Alot of his goals are him finding the open space in the defense

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Do you watch any of the games?

Many have remarked that he does not look anywhere near the player that got him into the league. He looks lazy and undisciplined.

I haven't missed a game since November 14, 2009. And before that I couldn't even tell you. I'm literally the last person that you should ask if they "watch any of the games."

Who cares how he looks? This is back to the slow/lumbering Kevin Hayes or the "lazy looking" Carlos Beltran when he was a Met. People don't like players who don't fit their definition of what hard work is and discipline is. He always gets the job done and now he's tied for the team league in points as always(2nd really since he's played more games than Zibanejad). He's still on pace for the best offensive season of his career. I really don't care if he looks different.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I haven't missed a game since November 14, 2009. And before that I couldn't even tell you. I'm literally the last person that you should ask if they "watch any of the games."

Who cares how he looks? This is back to the slow/lumbering Kevin Hayes or the "lazy looking" Carlos Beltran when he was a Met. People don't like players who don't fit their definition of what hard work is and discipline is. He always gets the job done and now he's tied for the team league in points as always(2nd really since he's played more games than Zibanejad). He's still on pace for the best offensive season of his career. I really don't care if he looks different.

To be fair, he's looked great the last few weeks, I don't think I was the only person mentioning this towards the beginning of the season though.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Zucc has looked much better since he got moved from the Nash line. He fits much more with Miller and Grabner, although I think we could use a better forechecker than Grabner on that line to make it really excel.

Reactions: NickyFotiu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad