Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Zucc has looked much better since he got moved from the Nash line. He fits much more with Miller and Grabner, although I think we could use a better forechecker than Grabner on that line to make it really excel.

To be fair, does ANYONE look good with Nash? I feel like he's bringing Hayes down and has always when playing with him. He doesn't really make anyone look good.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good writeup in SI on Buch. Some funny lines in here.

Pavel Buchnevich is the Rangers' youthful spark plug

My favorite lines.

He hadn’t always felt so comfortable. Seventeen months ago, Buchnevich leapt into an unknown land knowing only his agents, lugging just a small bag of skates and workout clothes, carrying no command of the local tongue. “Zero English, zero understand,” he says. “When I’m kid, at school, parents tell me you need English. I think, ‘What the f---? I never go U.S.”

“I’m very good,” Buchnevich reports, straight-faced, before breaking into a smile. “Him so bad.”

They ran into Clark, who sought to boost the rookie’s confidence by remarking, “You’re better than a third-round pick.” Diamond translated this, then laughed at Buchnevich’s reply. As Clark remembers, “Todd turns to me and said, ‘Well, why didn’t you take him earlier?’”

GregNYR89

Mar 8, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone want to translate this interview?

English translation.

1. What is your impression of having your 1st training session on ice outside?
    • I thought the ice would be bad, but it’s actually good. I have to get used to the sun, otherwise everything is good.
  2. When was the last time you skated outside?
    • I don’t know. Maybe some skating but never played on ice.
  3. Maybe when you were a kid?
    • Yes, many had their feet freezing already, you play till the end till someone wins. I think this is an interesting experience. I look forward to this event.
  4. Do you feel the closeness of this event, that NHL is putting a lot of money and advertisement it to this event?
    • There are a lot of cameras going around with us, saying that they are filming some movie, however, I’m not sure about it. I feel more that the holidays are coming. Maybe it’s a little early, there’s still 1 week to the game and new years. A lot of people will come.
  5. Your center is not on your line now (Mika), does it affect your play?
    • Of course Mika is a great player, you feel his loss, however, David is doing a great job at replacing him, he’s a great partner as well. It’s very easy to play with him. I’m hopeful that Mika will get well and help us out more.
  6. Are you happy with your game now?
    • Yesterday no. Yesterday I played bad. Nothing was working out, I didn’t even have good moments or shots. These types of games happen, it’s better to forget about them fast and get ready for the next game.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Anyone else wondering if the kid is playing through an injury or trying too these past few weeks?He hasn't looked quite right lately and makes me wonder if he has something bugging him but is afraid to say anything for fear of coming out of the lineup.Hope I'm wrong and he's just slumping,but his game really needs to pick up for us to have any kind of chance of winning.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He is with borderline 3rd liners in Vesey & DD when our team is healthy with Chris Kreider & Fast back - so it doesn`t help Buch`s lack of form, but I doubt he is injured. :)

I would like to see new lines by AV.

Something similar top 9 like this:

Nash - Zib - Buch
Grabner - Miller - Zucc
Vesey - Hayes - Vinni

I don`t think Miller is better at wing at all at the moment and we still lack center depth while Chytil and Lias playing in the U20 tournament - he is not great to finish recently and struggle to finish plays.

My reasons are that Zib & Buch usually have chemistry, and Zucc struggle to get it going while playing with Nash based of lack of finishing.
Miller lack finishing too, but he can score open nets similar chances and he do exactly that with Zucc, AV put them back together and use Miller in a center position, because they have chemistry 3v3 usually when AV use them together.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He definitely hasn't look the same the last few weeks. Not as creative or physical as he was early in the season. I wouldn't be surprised if he is playing through an injury.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
To be fair, does ANYONE look good with Nash? I feel like he's bringing Hayes down and has always when playing with him. He doesn't really make anyone look good.
Hayes started producing well once they took the "cooler" off his line. It drives me nuts that AV is saddling Zibs and Zooks with Nash. Nash has some strong positives but he plays a very isolated game without passing the puck to open teammates.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He definitely hasn't look the same the last few weeks. Not as creative or physical as he was early in the season. I wouldn't be surprised if he is playing through an injury.
I do not think Buch is injured. He is actually backchecking a bit better now. I like to see that. I would like to see him be a bit more physical along the boards especially in our own zone. His offense will be fine.

Reactions: Ori

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I do not think Buch is injured. He is actually backchecking a bit better now. I like to see that. I would like to see him be a bit more physical along the boards especially in our own zone. His offense will be fine.

Same, he seems too passive (I get exasperated when my son does the same), letting others to battle it out along the boards even when IMHO it’s him that should be battling.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Same, he seems too passive (I get exasperated when my son does the same), letting others to battle it out along the boards even when IMHO it’s him that should be battling.
We have a few players (some of our larger players) that try to do everything with their stick near the boards. They rarely engage physically and if they do engage physically they go against the other guy like they have a egg in their pocket they do not want to break. I hope Buch isn't picking up that trait from them. A board battle is just that...a battle.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
We have a few players (some of our larger players) that try to do everything with their stick near the boards. They rarely engage physically and if they do engage physically they go against the other guy like they have a egg in their pocket they do not want to break. I hope Buch isn't picking up that trait from them. A board battle is just that...a battle.

Buch probably losses more board battles percentage wise (while engaging in the fewest) among all team’s forwards , maybe sans DD51.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He looks injured, I thought the same thing. Pasha isn't skating as well, I'd guess something with his knee, ankle, leg, foot.

It definitely doesn't help that AV got rid of our only good line, and now he's playing with two borderline 13th forwards. Thats not easy for anyone. But lets keep in mind that he's still 2nd on the team in points, and is 14th in ice time, so he's having a good season. He's also like 1st or 2nd in every offensive efficiency or possession stat on the team, and ranks pretty high in the league in some of these stats. Last I checked, he was 20th or something like that league-wide in 5 on 5 P/60, and thats our 7th forward.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
He looks injured, I thought the same thing. Isn't skating as well, I'd guess something with his knee, ankle, leg, foot.

It definitely doesn't help that AV got rid of our only good line, and now he's playing with two borderline 13th forwards. Thats not easy for anyone. But lets keep in mind that he's still 2nd on the team in points, and is 14th in ice time, so he's having a good season.
the rangers are in dire need of some more talent in the top 6, at the very least to play with Buch

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Players usually go through production slumps sometime or other during the year--that is unless you're really elite. Buchnevich is on one now...and at the moment our best line is Hayes, Miller, Grabner. Other than that the forward at least that I look at to spark the team is Zuccarello.

Zibanejad is still looking for his touch. Nash has been playing really well....it's just he doesn't have the touch he use to have. To be honest I think Vesey has been pretty decent lately.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Players usually go through production slumps sometime or other during the year--that is unless you're really elite. Buchnevich is on one now...and at the moment our best line is Hayes, Miller, Grabner. Other than that the forward at least that I look at to spark the team is Zuccarello.

Zibanejad is still looking for his touch. Nash has been playing really well....it's just he doesn't have the touch he use to have. To be honest I think Vesey has been pretty decent lately.

Blasphemy, in Buchnevich’ thread nonetheless!

Buch needs to learn to be effective even when he’s not scoring. He’s been unimpressive for awhile even before he was put on 4th line.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
In regards to the Nash vs PB TOI whose TOI would you prefer?

Nash EV-12:56 PP-2:08 PK-1:54
Buch EV-11:47 PP-2:51 PK-0.01

Reactions: McD37

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
https://nypost.com/2018/01/04/henrik-lundqvists-mvp-level-season-doesnt-have-to-be-his-only/
Brooks is on the light side!

"2. I don’t care to be one of these guys who thinks the sky is falling whenever Pavel Buchnevich’s ice time is limited or he’s moved off the top six, but … Pavel Buchnevich must play more, and it’s nuts that he’s not on the club’s top line.
Buchnevich hasn’t scored now in the past nine games, since Dec. 13 in Ottawa. He has spent the past three games on a unit with David Desharnais and Jimmy Vesey that has generated little offense. Overall, he is 11th among club forwards in 5-on-5 ice time at 11:07 per. That seems crazy. Yes, the 22-year-old Russian is still learning about play without the puck and there is work to be done on his level of consistency, but as a coach who covets skill in a league that increasingly rewards it, Alain Vigneault need look no further. There is some serious overthinking going on in the coaches’ quarters for Buchnevich to be separated from Mika Zibanejad. Yes, they’re missing running buddy Chris Kreider on the left side, but J.T. Miller provides a power-game alternative that should mesh well with the two high-end skill forwards who have proven sympatico."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->