Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Buchnevich is really really good...what i like more than anything is his patience...he's getting a lot of attention out there by the opposition but isn't panicking trying to get the puck off his stick, hes calm and looking to make plays.

Doesn't seem to panic and always seems to find options.

Very smart player.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, I like Buch`s progression - he looks a lot more comfortable out there this year and he is stronger in puck duels and protect the puck very well with good creative finishing - smart player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As I mentioned in the game thread, the biggest improvement in his game is his skating. He was a good skater prior to this skater, but he's become an elite skater. He went right by McAvoy one of the best skating defenseman in the NHL in a foot race up the ice to create a chance for Zibanejad. Also, as Kshahdoo mentioned, he's much improved his willingness to shoot the puck, which is why he's scoring so many more goals. He has gotten stronger but I thought that issue was not as much of an issue as some said last season.

Reactions: nyr2k2

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
its nice to see him finally putting things together. many of us here have known this kid was going to be special. all the "moar russians" stuff was all right. kids a player.

loved all the jokes back then about just drafting all russians and only russians. well.....:naughty:

and to think we could have had both buchnevich and tarasenko together but for drafting dylan mcilrath on that awful day in 2010.

makes me sick.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As I mentioned in the game thread, the biggest improvement in his game is his skating. He was a good skater prior to this skater, but he's become an elite skater. He went right by McAvoy one of the best skating defenseman in the NHL in a foot race up the ice to create a chance for Zibanejad. Also, as Kshahdoo mentioned, he's much improved his willingness to shoot the puck, which is why he's scoring so many more goals. He has gotten stronger but I thought that issue was not as much of an issue as some said last season.
IDK if I'd call him elite at this point, but he has definitely improved in that area. I think he's gone from decent to very good. However, that's semantics. It's clear as you said his skating has improved significantly and it's really helping his overall game. I was thinking this watching him last night.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

confidence and strength.

I've been saying it all along, wait till his 3rd season as a pro.

kuznetsov, kucherov and buchnevich. those 3. thats the new young russian mafia.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
its nice to see him finally putting things together. many of us here have known this kid was going to be special. all the "moar russians" stuff was all right. kids a player.

loved all the jokes back then about just drafting all russians and only russians. well.....:naughty:

and to think we could have had both buchnevich and tarasenko together but for drafting dylan mcilrath on that awful day in 2010.

makes me sick.
giphy.gif

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Only to an extent though. You want them to be NHL ready. They don't need to stay until they are the KHL's best player, but you shouldn't be taking them out of a great development environment for them when they aren't NHL ready. Russian players almost always do better in the KHL than AHL.

It's a balancing act.

On the one hand, it does help to have them play against men and pro-level competition.

On the other hand, it seems inevitable that we eventually cross a threshold where that development plateau's and they get up in the workings of a decision maker who has no vested interest in the Rangers long-term needs.

Examples include Buchnevich being relegated to a reduced role or Shestyorkin being in more of rotation than I would prefer at this stage.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Buchnevich was a little bit too scrawny last year. It was commented on enough going back to last year's development camp. It hurt him during the season. He took some hellacious hits early on and injured his back. Saying that he always competed but the Rangers kept him out of the lineup to build his strength up for at least a month if not more and were careful with him the rest of the way.

This year it's pretty obvious how hard he worked in the offseason to work on his strength issues and there has been a huge leap in his play. IMO he is the most talented offensive forward in the organization with maybe the exception of Chytil.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Only to an extent though. You want them to be NHL ready. They don't need to stay until they are the KHL's best player, but you shouldn't be taking them out of a great development environment for them when they aren't NHL ready. Russian players almost always do better in the KHL than AHL.

It's a balance for sure.

On the one hand, it's often beneficial to have these prospects playing against older, pro-level competition.

On the hand, these teams don't have the long-term needs of the Rangers in mind when they make personnel decisions and it seems that we inevitably arrived at a point where it feels like one season too many.

Examples of this include Buchnevich's final KHL season and, I could argue, Shestyorkin's current KHL season in which is he still in more of a goalie rotation that I would prefer - despite being the superior goaltender.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

makes me sick.

Enver Lisin is Russian too.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
i think for him it is all about the comfort level on the ice and with his teammates...last year he was still learning english and im sure that affected his communication on the ice with the other players

the transition to the smaller ice surface also had to take some time for him...its rare that a young player like him makes the jump and right away has success, it usually takes players like him a year or so to become comfortable here

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Love seeing Buch play with confidence and has been very smart with his fore check. His anticipation, strength and speed have greatly improved from last year IMO. He looks 100% healthy and not hesitating out there

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Hopes he keeps staying under the radar. He could have scored two or three last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad