Value of: Paul Stastny Next contract

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets will pull it off with 4 years @ $7.25 mill / season.

Elhers Stastny Laine will be the leagues best 2nd line that could easily be a 1st line by the end of the year.

I think this is around the sweet spot of what he will actually get wherever he goes.

Hes pretty slow but he's so good with passing, positioning, puck protection, front of the net and board battles that he's still effective. Guess it doesn't matter when you are close to a point a game in the playoffs.

Make no mistake whoever gets him isn't getting a new NHL player haha.

I honestly think the smartest thing is for the Jets to let him go. Connor can be just as productive on the PP. And they can probably find a center capable of 50 pts with Laine and Ehlers and PP2 somewhere.

Sacrificing multiple players to keep a guy in his early 30's on an expensive multi year deal just doesn't seem smart to me.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
He’s 32 years old and coming off a 53 point season last year. Some of these offers are absurd
The market for a good center as a UFA is pretty bleak. This is an instant way to add a #2C who can play both ends of the ice for a team that is lacking one. Some team will overpay. Shoot, someone will probably throw stupid money at Bozak just because he is a center too. I could see someone doing a 5/$28m for him just to fill a positional need.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Most I’d do is 3yr/$17.25mil or 4yr/$21mil.

He’ll be a 2C for the first two years, then a 3C after that. I wouldn’t mind him back to be a placeholder for Thomas in the top 6.

Blues just need to get a legit scoring RHS RW, so we can put him on a line with Stastny and Fabbri. They’ve never really given him that here, and that’s what he’s always put up his best numbers with.

I’d look at seeing if a deal could be made for one of Kessel, Simmonds, Pavelski, Carter, Stone(maybe prices himself out of Ottawa), or even a Silfverberg/Coyle type player.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-RHS RW
Steen-Thomas-Berglund
Barbashev-Brodziak-Jaskin/Soshnikov?

That’d be a much better forward group than this year.

Last edited:

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Jets sign him for 3years x 6mil. If not, someone like Montreal or NYR will overpay.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's going to cash in after the playoff run he had. I previously thought he might get a Frans Nielsen type deal, but he's clearly positioned himself to be seen as a solution for a team who badly needs a 1C. He'll probably get a contract, that as good as he is, he'll potentially have trouble living up to. Who else is there on the UFA market that can be advertised as a 1C other than the long shot dream of a team landing Tavares?

I could see something similar to the contract Jason Spezza signed for Dallas, but adjusted for the higher cap. 4 years, 8.5 million. Or a GM who isn't worried about what'll happen 3-4 years from now will sign him 7 years, 5.5-6.5 million.

Stastny really lucked out here I think. He probably could have signed longer with a different team on his previous contract if he didn't specifically have his eye on going to STL. He got put in the right situation in WPG and as a result had a fantastic audition for his next deal, where if money+term are a priority, he should be able to make more than if he signed long term somewhere on his previous contract. Good for him.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Jets will pull it off with 4 years @ $7.25 mill / season.

Elhers Stastny Laine will be the leagues best 2nd line that could easily be a 1st line by the end of the year.

So you are saying they will be behind the Landeskog / MacKinnon / Ranatan line? Cause that line is better than that line you mentioned.

Slomo

May 27, 2018
1 year - $7 mil

Roslivic will be ready the following year to be the 2nd line center with Ehlers and Laine. I can see Little being traded along with another piece at the draft for a 1st round pick.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He should be looking at a pay cut, but I see an over payment for him. I'm hoping Montreal passes. He's been a very average 2nd line center for a long time imo. It's been 5 seasons since he scored 20 goals. Health is also an issue. He hasn't played 70 games or more since 14-15.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
1 year - $7 mil

Roslivic will be ready the following year to be the 2nd line center with Ehlers and Laine. I can see Little being traded along with another piece at the draft for a 1st round pick.
Why in the world would he risk signing a 1 year contract? He’s going to be in high demand.

Reactions: kp61c

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He should get something similar to Backlund but probably will get more.

Slomo

May 27, 2018
Why in the world would he risk signing a 1 year contract? He’s going to be in high demand.

I'm hoping he liked the opportunity he had this year to create some magic with Elhers and Laine. Jets gave him so much opportunity to score with 1st line powerplay time. I'm hoping he will sign a 4 year contract but I have a feeling it will just be another year due to the fact the Jets have some big players to sign next year. If they can move a couple of large contracts (Little or Perrault or Mason or Myers) then there is a better chance he is signed to a longer contract.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Maybe he wants to win cuz hes made like 45 50 million plus in his career so far? Maybe hes at the point where he wants a cup? 1 yr 5.25 million. Jets keep him.
It’s not going to happen. Find me an example of a top free agent under age 35 who signed a 1 year contract. He’s likely going to sign his last big contract and he’s going to want a home run.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Almost no chance he signs a deal for less than 4 or 5 years. He's 32 and has a steady history of injuries. He's coming off of a great stretch with the Jets that partially erases the memory of a mediocre run with the Blues (which bumps his asking price back up a bit). You really think he'd risk being out of work in 2020 because he got hurt or his play fell off during a short term deal? No way. This is his last shot at a substantial, long-term contract. That's what he'll be going after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad