News Article: Paul Maurice resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yesterday I posted on this site for the first time since November in the Buffalo PGT and said:

I usually leave the coaching topic alone but For the first time since he was hired I think our coach is in danger of losing his job. Next 4 - 10 games are important for Paul’s career in Winnipeg in my opinion.​

Yup - I think many or most saw it coming - the timing is the hard part to nail.
Welcome back BTW ;)

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The man is winning me over with his words again. He f***ing does it every time. The room needs new voice, he says.

I admire the man as a human, not as a coach for this team today, right now. He was what we needed in January 2014, not now.

Props to him for going out like this. Name another coach who has parted ways like this? Has it happened in this league? Props to Paul.
I think props to Maurice and ALSO to the organization. Let’s not kid ourselves that Maurice did this completely on his own.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Thanks for your contribution to the team, Paul. You have been a great spokesperson for the Jets and for Winnipeg more broadly.

Personally, I wish you had recognized a few years earlier your limitations in terms of getting the best out of the Jets. Better late than never.

I am also happy for you and your family that you are financially secure at this point in time. You will have a future in hockey somewhere, somehow. You can afford to decide the when and where.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
The org will pay him through the rest of the remainder of his contract which end this year imo.

They are too classy not to do so.

Having worked for the Thomson Corp for a couple years, I'm guessing they offered a deal for him to resign at a "partial" payout or be fired with a full payout. The Thomson family looks for EVERY opportunity to minimize their losses.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
He is literally saying many of the things many of us here have been saying. Incredible to see this.
Yeah it is very interesting, a lot of what he said is exactly what we were saying here and some (cough cough guffman) thought we were overreacting.

Specifically mentions how long he's been here, that he took them as far as he could, that they needed a new voice, etc.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Funny story, a guy who pranked me at work was the one who told me.

Christmas came early this year!

Pascal Vincent is punching air right now as this was his only chance. But I'm happy with Lowry as coach for now, believe he does a good job. But if we get a pro I want Vigneault.

Reactions: JetsUK

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Yeah, most coaches don't want to talk about the team they're leaving like this. It usually takes months or years or sometimes they just never talk about it publicly.

Sounds like in the summer they chatted about Paul's future.

Some of it don't make sense. I don't get the coach just all of a sudden just resigning. Honestly if he knew this then why not in the summer and why not do things differently? Like why today Friday on a game day.

Reactions: JetsUK and sipowicz

None

Feb 22, 2012
Sounds like in the summer they chatted about Paul's future.

They obviously would have spoken about it. Technically this is a lame duck year because the final year is a team option year. I'm guessing they were mutually agreeing to see where the season went before deciding to opt into that 3rd year.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
This is bad news. Odds are Huddy/Lowry or whoever is taking over the coaching duties right now gets to run with a ball for a couple of years because that's how this org operates. They should have waited till the summer to conduct a proper coaching search if this was the direction they wanted to go in. I don't have much faith in either Huddy or Lowry to do a better job than Maurice. This is a step back from where I see it.

Reactions: JetsUK and imec

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Maurice is a good man by all accounts. I wish him well and appreciate what he brought to this team immediately following the Noel dismissal and for a couple of years behind that. He has limitations as a coach but more than anything it’s very difficult to maintain a high degree of competitiveness with the same org for such a long time.
Such is the nature of professional sport when it comes to coaching. I’m not going to celebrate Maurice leaving, I believe he really cared about this team and genuinely liked being in this city. He was extremely committed. I’m looking forward to what a new voice and outlook will do for the team though. It’s just time that’s all.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Great interview
Seems like he's aware he couldn't add anything else to the group, and it seems classy for him to step aside
Glad he's doing it though

Reactions: buggs and JetsUK

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The man is winning me over with his words again. He f***ing does it every time. The room needs new voice, he says.

I admire the man as a human, not as a coach for this team today, right now. He was what we needed in January 2014, not now.

Props to him for going out like this. Name another coach who has parted ways like this? Has it happened in this league? Props to Paul.

He's like the person you break up with, and then they're so dam nice about it that when you say, "I hope we can still be friends", you actually do. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad