Value of: Paul Byron

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Love Paul Byron, he's a game, one of the better PK-er in the league, he's fast as the wind too.
However, he's paid at a cap hit of 3,4M$

We could throw, for exemple, Tampa Bay's 2nd, Habs 2nd, Chicago's 3rd? Is this enough?

That's nuts. Sure it'd be hard to get anything of value for him but we're full up and only a Weal AHL dump away from Cap compliance.

For 2 2nds and a 3rd teams like Ottawa or Detroit should at least look into it.

Naah we're good.

It's not just about fitting the cap; it's to replace Byron by a better player

Better? for like 3 mil? We have no spots for the players we have.

Primeau is being groomed to be Price's heir and he's one of our better prospect, but if it means that we could take a shot at Hoffman, I'm ok with adding him to the trade, and I could be convinced to add the 1st pick too, if we can get Hoffman or someone else able to put up points for us.

I'd be ok with trading Primeau, honestly. It's not ideal, but for the next two or three years, we will roll with Price and Allen.
Primeau would be great in a Post-Allen World, but by then, we could take a shot at another prospect.

As for Seattle goes, I'd trade Byron this year, not next year.

Jeebus you must really hate Byron if you're willing to give up on Primeau now. BTW the Allen contract is for the Kraken to pick up. I even read somewhere from their organization that Seattle is planning on grabbing Allen. Also Hoffman's a fricking cancer. There's a reason a guy with his numbers left almost every team cold.

Is there any way Habs could convince LA to take it? What would be an offer LA can't refuse, or something that would be fair for them?

...let's talk about Florida.
What would be the kind of offer that you'd have to accept? A fan of Detroit talked about Byron + 1st + Primeau.
Is it the kind of deal that would make you think about accepting it?

This is crazy town. What else would you give up for unloading Byron? He's not fricking Karl Alzner. He's still a good legit NHL'er. Why don't you just buy him out while you're at it?

The only offer i would consider is a 1st and Caufield.

Which is a deal I'm sure our very own OP Bouboumaster would do. He'd probably also throw in Romanov for shits and giggles.

Cool with that!

1st + Primeau + Byron, could it do it?

What are you trying to do with this thread? I've noticed you also liking every post that craps on Byron or who up what would be necessary to trade him. You're a funny dude, not as in humorous but as in weird.

every fan base of teams with cap problems seems to solve their problems with the expansion draft. i doubt every team will successfully achieve this. the kraken will have goals, other than helping capped out nhl teams.

Ermmm... Just FYI Seattle has to pick up a certain amount of Cap through the Expansion Draft as well. They can't just pick up kids and then sign UFA's. Look it up.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Ermmm... Just FYI Seattle has to pick up a certain amount of Cap through the Expansion Draft as well. They can't just pick up kids and then sign UFA's. Look it up.
i haven't said otherwise. but seattle will pick the players, they want, not what every other fan base desires. there will be better players available than byron to burn cap.

Reactions: tgo0

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It doesn't make sense to try to trade Byron this offseason. He's valuable to the Habs as a roster player while they're hoping to compete. Meanwhile, no one will take him in a trade when, given the market, they can likely get a better UFA for less or similar $$.

Habs are better off keeping him and trading Weal. It's not as much cap savings but it's all they need for now. With only one year left, they'd still have to throw in a pick for someone to take him but it wouldn't be nearly as much.
Even Weal we can just put him on the taxi squad and we are ok

Reactions: viceroy

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Byron
Primeau
1st (Montreal picks which 1st of theirs, over the next 3 drafts)

For

Hirose
Vegas 2022 45th

Detroit could include a goalie prospect if ya want one.
We are not adding what is the equivalent of 2 X 1st round picks for nothing in order tog et rid of Paul Byron.

Reactions: viceroy

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
i haven't said otherwise. but seattle will pick the players, they want, not what every other fan base desires. there will be better players available than byron to burn cap.
Seattle will pick players with a cap hit they think can help them. Byron is exactly that. Average cap hit, still youngish, and could return a couple picks too from MTL.

it's not like Byron was Lucic/Eriksson esque

Reactions: bert and viceroy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
^ Kraken won't take this guy unless you pay them. It's just not going to be all unicorns and rainbows for one of Bergybois bad deals.
Its not a bad deal though, he is easily worth the money when he is playing. Its too bad so few people that comment on here actually watch the players play.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs ate ready for puck drop and Byron will be a Hab. No need to dump him. This isn’t T Johnson, Lucic, Ericksson or Neal. Habs need a healthy Byron for the season.

Marc Bergevin’s offseason is complete.

Drop the f***ing puck already.

Reactions: actuallynotPJStock

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Habs are technically under the cap with Weal buried, but that's a 21 man roster with $709K in space. You like to have a bit more room than that.
That space is not worth anything more than a late pick though. I'm not giving anything more than a 6th for more room. Room is nice, but we can make do with what we have.

Jul 6, 2016
Lol, this is so bad. Byron hasn't been able to stay healthy the last few years but when he's in the lineup, he is a very valuable player.

Byron is not the same player since having been punched out by Weegar.

At 3,1M $ per season, he is now very expensive, indeed.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I'm a die hard habs fan and used to love Byron on the third. Yes that was really stupid to hit Weegar like that and then get KOed on his fight... concussions sometimes make you lose that edge you had... i lived thru a nice one, i'm sure not as witty as I once was... :( Rene Bourque was a perfect example of this too. From valuable to dumpable in no time.

The Byron pre-concussion was worth the spot and cost, 100%. Now, i dunno... i'd like him to be healthy this year and help the habs win. If he gets injured, his salary gets off the cap and we're a few millions under cap for some creative move.

If it was 1 year left, keep it and let it go... 3 years with rookies pushing up, meh... but no way it cost 2 x 1st picks... next year, after Kraken's picks, there may be interest for a healthy Byron for a 4th or something...

Still, i liked the guy a lot... don't be complacent with your passing at the blue line on PP if he's on the ice on pk, what a great Fast! pker that can bury it on breakaways!

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Yet sometimes, old Byron comes back for a shift or two. A year after the Weegar fight, he can still do this. Sometimes.

From the video: I love Armia on board battles, damn would i hate playing against such a guy...

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
Byron is definitely worth 3.4 M$
He's a 20-20 guy that you can place anywhere in your lineup.
I would find a way to keep the guy in my top-9 instead of throwing him away
I'd rather trade Lehkonen/Kulak to free some cap space

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol, this is so bad. Byron hasn't been able to stay healthy the last few years but when he's in the lineup, he is a very valuable player.

Byron's value has gotten hit like any other player in this Covid flat cap world. But you are right, even in injury seasons over the last two years, Byron is still a 40 pts & 18 goal guy. He's a great bottom 6F at $3.4M cap hit. Dangerous on the PP.

Habs are not trading Byron this year if we have to add a pick to unload. We don't need to. Habs will look at moving him (possibly) for the next off season if we run into cap issues

Too many Habs fans are desperate to move him now IMO

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seems to me MTL fans love the guy and like his cap hit.

Not all Habs fans but maybe 50%. The issue is some want to move him now because of our 21/22 salary cap issues. Makes no sense cause price to move a contract at this stage (for this season) is too high. Only 9 teams with more than $4M of cap space and most teams have 21 or more players on their roster.

Habs are going to move Weal before we move Byron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad