Value of: Paul Byron

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Yo.

Love Paul Byron, he's a game, one of the better PK-er in the league, he's fast as the wind too.
However, he's paid at a cap hit of 3,4M$

He's good, but not 3,4M$/Y good.

Is there any bottom feader team who'd like to get paid to get that contract?

Obviously the goal of that trade is to make place on the pay roll, so we can't take any salaries back. However, our picks bank is full.

We could throw, for exemple, Tampa Bay's 2nd, Habs 2nd, Chicago's 3rd? Is this enough?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Yo.

Love Paul Byron, he's a game, one of the better PK-er in the league, he's fast as the wind too.

Obviously the goal of that trade is to make place on the pay roll, so we can't take any salaries back. However, our picks bank is full.

We could throw, for exemple, Tampa Bay's 2nd, Habs 2nd, Chicago's 3rd? Is this enough?

I’m sure if you offered all 3 of those picks a team with room would bite

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Byron
Primeau
1st (Montreal picks which 1st of theirs, over the next 3 drafts)

For

Hirose
Vegas 2022 45th

Detroit could include a goalie prospect if ya want one.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Yo.

Why would the Habs pay a second for trading a serviceable player when we can just send Weal in the AHL to fit the cap?

Next year, Kakens will just take one of our players, maybe Byron, and allow us to either sign back Tatar or sign a good player to replace him.

Reactions: bert and viceroy

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Why would the Habs pay a second for trading a serviceable player when we can just send Weal in the AHL to fit the cap?

Next year, Kakens will just take one of our players, maybe Byron, and allow us to either sign back Tatar or sign a good player to replace him.

It's not just about fitting the cap; it's to replace Byron by a better player

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
Seeing what happened to Michael Grabner, I'm not optimistic about getting some kind of value for him...

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
What's the rush to trade him? Market is dry, he's coming off an injury year. Let him come back and get back to form, hope he gets another 15-20 goals and then trade him. His value won't ever be lower. If it doesn't work out at all this year, buy him out next season, he's a rather cheap buyout. We're under the cap, just play around with ahl callups for the year if needs be or trade Weal. 3.4m doesn't really help for an upgrade anyway.

Reactions: viceroy and malcb33

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
What's the rush to trade him? Market is dry, he's coming off an injury year. Let him come back and get back to form, hope he gets another 15-20 goals and then trade him. His value won't ever be lower. If it doesn't work out at all this year, buy him out next season, he's a rather cheap buyout. We're under the cap, just play around with ahl callups for the year if needs be or trade Weal. 3.4m doesn't really help for an upgrade anyway.

It's not just about fitting the cap; it's to replace Byron by a better player

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Byron
Primeau
1st (Montreal picks which 1st of theirs, over the next 3 drafts)

For

Hirose
Vegas 2022 45th

Detroit could include a goalie prospect if ya want one.

Could work around that, but taking Hirose defeats the point of trading Byron...

Bergevin is done if we don't have a GREAT year, and for the first time in like 10 years, we have a team to compete (on paper, at the very least)... The point of trading Byron is to take a shot at a UFA that would help us to win.
I'm ok to pay a premium in picks (even prospect if needed) for Detroit to take Byron (who, again, is a good (but overpaid) player but we can't take a contract back.

Primeau is being groomed to be Price's heir and he's one of our better prospect, but if it means that we could take a shot at Hoffman, I'm ok with adding him to the trade, and I could be convinced to add the 1st pick too, if we can get Hoffman or someone else able to put up points for us.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Primeau isn't going anywhere we could just pay Seattle to pick him.

I'd be ok with trading Primeau, honestly. It's not ideal, but for the next two or three years, we will roll with Price and Allen.
Primeau would be great in a Post-Allen World, but by then, we could take a shot at another prospect.

As for Seattle goes, I'd trade Byron this year, not next year.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
La says no thanks He is signed to long and would block a roster spot for the incoming kids.

Is there any way Habs could convince LA to take it? What would be an offer LA can't refuse, or something that would be fair for them?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
What do you mean?
FLA isnt willing to take a 3 year cap dump for a couple 2nds and a 3rd

By the same token, that's a king ransom for one year, one that the Habs would absolutly not pay. For one year only, I'd throw a 2nd.

But Florida, while not a great team by any means, aren't bottom feader too. Your team doesn't need the picks that much as, let's say, Ottawa, or Detroit, or LA.

But let's talk about Florida.
What would be the kind of offer that you'd have to accept? A fan of Detroit talked about Byron + 1st + Primeau.
Is it the kind of deal that would make you think about accepting it?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
By the same token, that's a king ransom for one year, one that the Habs would absolutly not pay. For one year only, I'd throw a 2nd.

But Florida, while not a great team by any means, aren't bottom feader too. Your team doesn't need the picks that much as, let's say, Ottawa, or Detroit, or LA.

But let's talk about Florida.
What would be the kind of offer that you'd have to accept? A fan of Detroit talked about Byron + 1st + Primeau.
Is it the kind of deal that would make you think about accepting it?

I wouldn't expect two 2nds and 3rd if Byron only had 1 year left.

I think its just the combo of his term and FLA being mostly bottom 9 players up front, we are stock full of them so just doesn't make a ton of sense to take on another one and block our young prospects who are being promoted the next few years.

That DET offer is ridiculous. Yours is closer for sure but FLA shouldn't be interested

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouboumaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad