Waived: Paul Byron on waivers again (April 9): Cleared.... again

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He was not the same before either. I mean Paul Byron was Paul Byron for a year and a half maybe. At this point maybe Paul Byron is the guy before and after that relatively short sequence.
Hey man, I was not a fan of giving a waiver wire guy a 3.5 million/year contract, you can go back and check. MB gets attached to these guys and hands them a blank cheque and that is his downfall as a GM, he rules with his heart because he has a very small brain. It's the same with Gallagher, Alzner, Pricer, Drouin etc. We are not in great shape cap-wise or personnel-wise because of bad/heartfelt decision making.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
He was a $1M bottom line winger who scored 20 goals 2 years in a row (and paced for it 3 years in a row), who was good on the PK and posed a threat to a PP with his high speed. The type of guy a team would have paid to add some solid depth at the deadline.

I never believed it would last but he was the perfect chip to flip to a contender while he was hot. Signing him to a 4 year contract was beyond dumb. Just let him walk and replace him with the next waiver claim.
Uhmmm, ya, in case you aren't aware of if, 20 goal scorers are never on waivers, I mean maybe for financial reasons.

The reality is his injury plagued seasons seem to have slowed him down quite a bit unfortunately. I don't see the same fear in defenders when he gains speed in the neutral zone. The contract was a bit rich but there was no way to predict what would happen to Byron at the time it was given. Had he remained th 15-20 goal guy and the cap had gone up as expected, the contract would have been fair.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Uhmmm, ya, in case you aren't aware of if, 20 goal scorers are never on waivers, I mean maybe for financial reasons.

The reality is his injury plagued seasons seem to have slowed him down quite a bit unfortunately. I don't see the same fear in defenders when he gains speed in the neutral zone. The contract was a bit rich but there was no way to predict what would happen to Byron at the time it was given. Had he remained th 15-20 goal guy and the cap had gone up as expected, the contract would have been fair.

Wait so you're telling me players like Byron can never be acquired via waivers? :huh:

And I agree, had everything worked out perfectly his contract would have been fair, even good maybe. I just don't trust 5'9 guys that peaked on a bottom-tier team and are over 30 years old...

Reactions: Tighthead

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They won't have any issues putting him on waivers all year, when teams look at having to pay him 4M in salary next year and then 2.8M the year after, that's no bueno.

Reactions: Tyson

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Sounds to me like BargainBin was trying to get the crème of the crème and would always end up of with scraps or fringe NHLers over the years. These players would somehow outperform themselves on a bottom feeder, barely capable of making the playoffs. When he inherited this team, a few players stood out and he couldn't manage to build a solid group contending for a championship.

A younger Price saved his job several times, but Jesus Price (as the organisation loves to brand him, but not officially), is older and has six years left before retirement at best.

Drafting was poor under Bergevin, reminiscent of the Peanut days. His short term fixes didn't allow for a proper rebuild, and the young group of promising players he inherited and he build around, are older.

This off season, the stars were aligned for MB to get creative. This was his big moment afterall to shine and he met expectations. After bringing in Toffoli and Anderson, fans are now starting to realize how overrated most players are on this team.

After MB gets canned, his successor would have to find ways to circumvent the cap and get rid of several bad contracts including Weber (seems like he no longer has any gas left in the tank), Price (terrible performances that are nowhere close to being paid 10.5 mil./yr), Byron (has no gas left in the tank), Drouin (having his best season since being acquired), Gallagher (likely the final years will be painful to watch for a player his style) and Anderson (still young but long contract).

Signing Byron to a 4 yr contract worth upwards of 3 mil per was a terrible mistake by BargainBin. Now, he needs cap flexibility and with this pandemic, teams have no room to absorb his contract. Hopefully, with the Seattle expansion and upcoming off season, the Habs can get creative with all this dead weight flowing around.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Habs had to do it before he plays another game. he had reached the 9 game limit. If they would had played him one more game, they would have had to keep him the whole season on the regular line up.
No, that is not correct. It just means that until they waived him, his salary would count toward the cap on off-days.

By waiving him before reaching the 10 games, he continues to provide a saving on off-days plus whatever days he is a healthy scratch.

If he plays 9 more games, he will need to be waived again for the same situation to continue to prevail.

I know he is likely to play tonight, but waiving him yesterday means they can save his cap hit starting tomorrow, instead of the next off-day.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Wait so you're telling me players like Byron can never be acquired via waivers? :huh:

And I agree, had everything worked out perfectly his contract would have been fair, even good maybe. I just don't trust 5'9 guys that peaked on a bottom-tier team and are over 30 years old...
20 goal scorers are very rarely acquired on waivers, that's what I said.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Cawliss loll encore? :laugh:

Just remove the A from him if you are going to disrespect the man like that.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Byron and lehkonen bring pretty much the same thing. They are serviceable small 4th line players with speed.Because we are stuck with Byron’s contract, I think it would be smart to not invest more money on the fourth line. Consequently, we can’t resign Lehkonen. He should be available in a trade to get an upgrade on D.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Disrespect? How about Byron not living up to the contract he signed? He is not a leader and should not wear a letter.

Agreed. Honestly don't know whether Habs should have him or Lehkonen start in the playoffs at 4th line LW. Byron has been playing better but Lehkonen is usually pretty decent in the playoffs

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
He might interest a team looking to add experience for the playoffs. The further into the season it gets, the less they have to pay for the balance.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Disrespect? How about Byron not living up to the contract he signed? He is not a leader and should not wear a letter.

He was before this season. He would still be a good leader if we were actually doing a proper rebuild. Bergevin decided to go all instead...

What I’m saying is give the A to someone else (Perry) if you want to go all in. He wears a letter for a reason if he’s no longer part of the plans than remove the A.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price says "hi"
Price isn't even the worst contract on this team. Esp when he's putting up the numbers he has in the playoffs.
Not really. When Price is "finally" on his game, he is super valuable.
Inconsistent this season but solid the last two. He's been a true workhorse stuck behind bad clubs.

And if we ever got a decent blueliner on the left side, his numbers would jump.
No one touches Byron; we'd never get that lucky...
I like Bryon. Great speed and a good 4th liner. 3.5 for the next few years though is too much. It's those kinds of contracts that kill you. Drouin at 5 is painful as well.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Lehkonen...not remotely close...

Yeah the only thing riding for Byron is the fact that his speed could make up for Perry's lack there of but Lehkonen is a good skater too. Lehkonen's style is perfect for playoff hockey whereas Byron tends to either float or become neutralized

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad